Rank I

Contributor I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Clay
Last Name
Petrucci
Member #

Hey guys, I’m pretty new to this so please excuse me if this has been covered a bunch elsewhere. After a search I wasn’t able to find much.

Anyhow, how do you all attach gear to your racks - more specifically, how do you secure it so no one walks away with it?

I know a fair bit of gear comes with locking equipment optional (rotopax and such), but how about for a shovel or recovery boards or even cases?

I’d love to move some dirty and/or bulky stuff from my hatch to my roof, but don’t want to have to replace it all if it walks off.

Thanks everyone!

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
anything bolted i use security bolts. ther are many different types and eve qith the key they can be a pain to get on and off. For everything else i try to secure it the best I can to amkenit as hard as possible. Most theft is a crime of opportunity, so if they have to try they will give up. Giving the appearance that it is fully secured is generally enough of a deterrent.

Reactions: Sparksalot

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Best security, make it look well used, old and dirty. Bling attracts the parasites.
Find an old canvas tarp, take it off on the highway but use it at camp and around town.

If it looks expensive someone will tear it off and likely damage your truck in the process.
Hidden or plain sight ID works too.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Up top we have three boxes and a propane tank, boxes are bolted down from the inside and padlocked closed. The propane tank holder has lockable hasps. If someone wants the shovel then they are dumb enough to use it. The highlift is bolted down and the pintle hitch is bolted into the receiver using a fine threaded bolt. A thief would have to be carrying a 1” socket, a 5/8” deep socket, a 14mm socket, a 3/8” ratchet, a 1/2” ratchet and a 1” box end wrench, and the time it takes with fine threads to get it all removed. Our trailer has a custom fitted tarp with zero security measures.

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
I would guess most vehicles people use for Overlanding are elevated some for traveling off road. Then you put things up on top of a rack on your roof and you've put it out of reach unless the person is carrying a step ladder. I'm 6'4" tall and when I put stuff on the roof of my truck I have a small folding step ladder I have to use to get stuff on and off the top of my roof. I think it has been stated here earlier, if you secure it good and a person is going to have to find a way to get up there and then take the time to undo how you have secured it they aren't going to bother with it. Thieves don't like sticking around for a very long time and up on top of someone's truck or SUV puts them out in the open and easy to see which I think would make them nervous, they like things that are easy to grab and run hence the old saying smash and grab!