Lockers, LSD, selectable, lunch box, air, etc....

• HTML tutorial

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

So, I am thinking about lockers and LSD's for my truck and looking for some advice on the best options for a limited budget.
I know that there are selectable lockers out there like ARB air lockers, and OX cable lockers. These are great, but expensive.
There are conventional lockers like the old standby Detroit locker and then the "Lunch box" style Aussie and others. (Lunch box locker are easy to install, they just replace the spiders and can be installed on your "Lunch hour" so they say, hence the name)
Then we have the LSD, not the the stuff that makes you climb trees naked, but a limited slip diff. There are both gear and clutch style.

My truck is a 90 Suburban with a Corp 14 bolt rear and a Dana 44 (I think) in the front. Originally it had a LSD factory, but it seems it is worn out or has been replaced with a standard open diff. I need to open it up to find out. I am also on 235/85-16 All terrains. Stock, no lift.
It has a standard T-case with 4hi,4lo,N and 2wd and it currently has auto hubs on the front, but they will be replaced at some time with Warn manual hubs (or MM)

For the mild off roading and travel I want to do, no rock crawling or mud pits, just very rough roads and some snow, what would be the best budget set up?

ARB and OX are out just due to cost, I like them and they would be great, but I just can't afford them. The Detroit may also be out, but a lunch box style is possible.
Should I fix or replace the LSD in the rear and just use that? Get a lunch box style for the rear and leave the front, or put a LSD in the front?

I know running a traditional locker in the front can cause issues, but what about a LSD? And what about combo's? Say LSD rear ARB front? ARB rear LSD front? Lunch box rear LSD front? Lunch box rear ARB front?

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Durability of axle/suspension, and terrain/location, are the key deciding factors.

Front autolocker, selectable rear, is king of all diff setups. But might not be viable if your front axle is weak, or if you take your truck ice skating. For example selectable/selectable is best in canada. At least until your air lines freeze up.

90's burb? I'd go Trutrac front, selectable rear. Truck should handle and wear like a stock truck with that setup. If you're only in arid climates, an autolocker rear would be excellent.

Trutrac might be the only lsd worth talking about.
Yukon Grizz and Detroit locker are the only auto lockers I like.
ARB, Eaton Elocker, and Yukon zip are my favorite selectables.
I never use lunchbox lockers or spools.

Has the Auburn elocking LSD repaired it's reputation yet? It's supposed to be greatly improved. Brilliant idea for some trucks, even though it doesn't fully lock.

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
Do a search for "Filthy Motorsports Locker Comparison video". They have the best concise overview of lockers I have seen.

jeepnjeff

Rank II

Enthusiast III

I really like having a Detroit and putting one in a Corporate 14-Bolt doesn't require a new carrier which makes it a bit cheaper as well. If you're not rock crawling then a locker in the back will make a big difference and will probably be enough. With stock tires you're going to have limited traction anyway.

Reactions: MidOH

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Between all my vehicles I've used Detriot, LocRite, Aubern, Another clutch type not as good as Aubern and ARB. A few of my Jeep Club friends have used OX and Eaton. If I'm doing tight turns in loose material either flat or steep, having a solid mechanical like Detroit is a pain. It wants to understeer badly if it turns at all. With the ARB front I could turn it off if I needed to turn sharp. OX will do the same. The "Lunch Box" Lockers I've used or been around have been fine as long as the diff was in good shape especially the cross shaft. One of my buddies put over 100k on front and rear locrite. The limited slips as long as they weren't abused and you serviced them seemed to work well in the front across the board. The mechanicals don't like snowy side hills at all. That's where the selectable lockers work well. In my 96 Cruiser, I may not do anything, just leave them open. My traction is fine for what I do now. If I do add them in it will be ARB hands down. Once I had them its hard to use anything else.

Funmobile

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Yuba City
Member #

I run a TruTrac front and rear in my 2006 TJ, with Dana30/44 axle combo. It is my daily driver, as well as my adventure rig and I could not be happier. Tire wear is normal, and driver "feel" is virtually identical to dual open differentials. The only noticeable difference was a slight increase in caster feel, at the steering wheel, so the steering wheel has a slightly crisper feel as it returns to center.