Rank IV

Traveler III

California, USA
First Name
Jesse
Last Name
Parnell
Member #

I am looking to install a front locker in my 2000 Durango, or at least a bit more information other than the info in my glovebox. So far all I know is, the front differential is cross compatible with the same year Dakota, and it is a 3.55 ratio "limited-slip." The Durango seems to be a more uncommon offroader, and it seems to be a bit more difficult to find a clear answer on if there is even a locker compatible for the front diff...

A few notes on my Durango, it experienced a side impact about 3 or 4 years ago, and when I put the Durango in 4WD, it acts like it has a locker, as the front tires APPEAR to be locked together when doing a very tight turn only in 4WD. Is that normal? I haven't seen information to indicate if it does have a locker from the factory! It leads me to believe that there may be something going on with the spider gears.

I was thinking about just installing a lunchbox locker, as it's more affordable for my wallet, and the simple construction leads me to believe that they are very reliable. If I had the money, I would prefer an OX locker.

I also don't know what the spline count is from, I counted 31 splines the last time I removed my inner axle on the front, but there doesn't seem to be any lockers for 31 spline, only 27 or 29... How do I find out my spline count? lol

To anyone who has some info on these Durango's, Thank You.

Last edited:

trillobite

Rank IV

Traveler III

California, USA
First Name
Jesse
Last Name
Parnell
Member #

I will probably just rebuild the stock front diff. Not enough Info to install the correct locker yet.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
The 4wd binding in tight turns is what you're feeling. Go back to 2wd for those tight turns. Or take a more sweeping line, or run tires with taller squishier tread. Keep a loose grip on the wheel to let it unwind, should it bind. It's easier to feel with a loose grip.

In snow I can just accelerate more aggressively around a turn to generate a little slip to keep the 4wd from binding in a tight right hand turn. Doesn't take much.

Reactions: trillobite

trillobite

Rank IV

Traveler III

California, USA
First Name
Jesse
Last Name
Parnell
Member #

The 4wd binding in tight turns is what you're feeling. Go back to 2wd for those tight turns. Or take a more sweeping line, or run tires with taller squishier tread. Keep a loose grip on the wheel to let it unwind, should it bind. It's easier to feel with a loose grip.

In snow I can just accelerate more aggressively around a turn to generate a little slip to keep the 4wd from binding in a tight right hand turn. Doesn't take much.
Thanks for the info, this is my first 4WD, so I wasn't sure exactly how they normally respond.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
There were no factory lockers in any Dodge product until the 2006 Powerwagon...and only Powerwagon.

The 3.55 limited slip is the gear ratio in both front and rear...but the limited slip is only in the rear.

As @MidOH stated...that feeling you are feeling is just how 4wd feels in high traction situations.

The Durango is a great platfrom. The Magnum engines are great. The transmission...contrary to popular belief...are very good at stock level.. If you underatand how to work the OD button.

Axles are very stout as well.

If i get a chance tonight or tomorrow...i will try to dig some more info.

Allpar.com is a good place to look for mopar information.

trillobite

Rank IV

Traveler III

California, USA
First Name
Jesse
Last Name
Parnell
Member #

There were no factory lockers in any Dodge product until the 2006 Powerwagon...and only Powerwagon.

The 3.55 limited slip is the gear ratio in both front and rear...but the limited slip is only in the rear.

As @MidOH stated...that feeling you are feeling is just how 4wd feels in high traction situations.

The Durango is a great platfrom. The Magnum engines are great. The transmission...contrary to popular belief...are very good at stock level.. If you underatand how to work the OD button.

Axles are very stout as well.

If i get a chance tonight or tomorrow...i will try to dig some more info.

Allpar.com is a good place to look for mopar information.
Thank you, very much appreciated :grinning:

trillobite

Rank IV

Traveler III

California, USA
First Name
Jesse
Last Name
Parnell
Member #

I found something:

Dana 35? I always thought those were solid axle only! I am not sure if this is a listing error... but looking at photos... the front pumpkin really does look like the Dana 35...

Also, I just sent an email to ox-usa asking if they have any info on if they carry a locker. We shall see...

I would post photos of my front diff... but she's covered up in so much mud, I don't think we will be able to see anything... Hey, it's winter, and it's 4WD!

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Before you get too deep into research and finding a locker for the front, is your rig 4wd with a selectable 2hi in the transfer case or is it the AWD with fulltime 4wd and part time 4wd? I don't remember the year but around '00/'01 they took the option of 2wd away in the Durango. If you have the 2wd option you're good to go. If it's the AWD or Full/Part time 4wd transfer case don't put a locker in, it would be a terrible combination for street use. Really the transfer cases are the same, they just took away the option of being able to put it in 2wd.

I only know about the year/ transfer case change because I'm running a '99 Durango transfer case in my WJ. Good strong case for what it is, versions of it were used in the 1500's and even some Hummers.

trillobite

Rank IV

Traveler III

California, USA
First Name
Jesse
Last Name
Parnell
Member #

Before you get too deep into research and finding a locker for the front, is your rig 4wd with a selectable 2hi in the transfer case or is it the AWD with fulltime 4wd and part time 4wd? I don't remember the year but around '00/'01 they took the option of 2wd away in the Durango. If you have the 2wd option you're good to go. If it's the AWD or Full/Part time 4wd transfer case don't put a locker in, it would be a terrible combination for street use. Really the transfer cases are the same, they just took away the option of being able to put it in 2wd.

I only know about the year/ transfer case change because I'm running a '99 Durango transfer case in my WJ. Good strong case for what it is, versions of it were used in the 1500's and even some Hummers.
It's selectable, I had no idea that other Durango's were like that. Why Dodge would take away the 2WD mode!?

trillobite

Rank IV

Traveler III

California, USA
First Name
Jesse
Last Name
Parnell
Member #

Reply from my email to OX:
1640207916278.png

Well then... @MrWilsonWJ I think it could be, that nobody makes a locker for the Durango, since very few of them were even 2WD selectable...

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Not sure why they would do it. Around that time is when most manufactures were starting to sell more AWD models of their SUV's, maybe it was Dodges way to move that direction. Both transfer cases were a 242 and from what I remember when I had them apart they are the same. Just in the AWD units the did away with the detent on the shift arm that would allow 2wd. It's been a few years now since I looked inside one so I could be wrong...

As for getting a locker in the front of your Durango you might just have to start looking at a solid axle swap. I forget who it is, but someone on here did one to a Dakota not long ago and it looks like it turned out awesome.

trillobite

Rank IV

Traveler III

California, USA
First Name
Jesse
Last Name
Parnell
Member #

Not sure why they would do it. Around that time is when most manufactures were starting to sell more AWD models of their SUV's, maybe it was Dodges way to move that direction. Both transfer cases were a 242 and from what I remember when I had them apart they are the same. Just in the AWD units the did away with the detent on the shift arm that would allow 2wd. It's been a few years now since I looked inside one so I could be wrong...

As for getting a locker in the front of your Durango you might just have to start looking at a solid axle swap. I forget who it is, but someone on here did one to a Dakota not long ago and it looks like it turned out awesome.
Yup, I heard about some doing the solid axle swap! Most likely, if I cannot get a front locker, I will leave it as-is. I can still get a selectable locker for the rear, which does help at least.

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Yes, just adding a rear locker will make a big difference. I'm running a lunchbox locker in the rear with an open front and I get around trails pretty good, granted my suspension is far from stock which can really help when it comes to keeping tires on the ground. But if you're only running mild trails a rear locker and little bit of lift with bigger tires should be enough to get you around.

socal66

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Covina, CA, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Sampson
Member #

Until recently I had a 2000 Dodge Dakota 4x4 that I bought new and was my "overlanding" rig for many years. Even back in the day there were very limited off road options for the Dakota/Durango compared to just about everything else. There were very few lift or rear locker options. I don't think anyone provided a front locker option. I find that a rear locker is most useful so you may want to consider that option instead. I ran my truck stock with just upgraded all-terrain tires and would be able to go many places with it. I had a 4.7L V8 model with the auto transmission that was sourced from earlier Mercedes S-Class sedans. If you have the same transmission as well you will need to treat it with care including using the fluid specific for it and not the one commonly used for most vehicles.

trillobite

Rank IV

Traveler III

California, USA
First Name
Jesse
Last Name
Parnell
Member #

...I had a 4.7L V8 model with the auto transmission that was sourced from earlier Mercedes S-Class sedans. If you have the same transmission as well you will need to treat it with care including using the fluid specific for it and not the one commonly used for most vehicles.
I'm pretty sure my transmission is not from a Mercedes, since I know the previous owner, and he always used generic Walmart ATF +4, he was pretty good at keeping the filters and fluid changed about once every 2 years. (motor oil and ATF was about the only maintenance that was EVER done on the poor thing). I'm pretty sure if it had anything special, it would have died a long time ago, I'm at 240k miles now lol

But anyways, is there some way you can tell if it was a Mercedes source? Or, was this a custom swap you did?

socal66

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Covina, CA, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Sampson
Member #

I'm pretty sure my transmission is not from a Mercedes, since I know the previous owner, and he always used generic Walmart ATF +4, he was pretty good at keeping the filters and fluid changed about once every 2 years. (motor oil and ATF was about the only maintenance that was EVER done on the poor thing). I'm pretty sure if it had anything special, it would have died a long time ago, I'm at 240k miles now lol

But anyways, is there some way you can tell if it was a Mercedes source? Or, was this a custom swap you did?
ATF+4 is what you want. That was introduced alongside the 45RFE transmission which all 4.7L engines had and it supposedly had some Mercedes internals. It was maybe 5 or 6 years later that the ATF+4 fluid was licensed for other producers to make and up until then you had to order it from Mopar directly and many shops just used ATF+3 which caused issues at higher temperatures which I found out about the hard way.