Launch Member

Enthusiast I

South Lyon, MI, USA
First Name
Nate
Last Name
T4R
Member #

Maybe I can't us e the overland map. I can't find shit for overlanding in Michigan. The All trail app only show 3 spots in Michigan. Am I missing something? Any help is appreciated.

• Wow
Reactions: joshjunior

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Well the map on this site is user generated where people have uploaded places, its better for finding folks near you. What type of trails are you looking for? 4x4, walking horse trail atv

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

All trials app is just hiking and mountanbiking trails unless thats what your looking for, look up natinal forrest service visitor map it will show you 4x4 trails in all nf areas. I dont know the rules for your state forrests but you may want to look at that too.

Nate the Great

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

South Lyon, MI, USA
First Name
Nate
Last Name
T4R
Member #

I'm looking for places to do some scenic driving not driving over huge holders or anything but getting out there. Then possibly hike, fish camp or or something along those lines. I'll definitely look up National parks that you can off road on. Where did you hear Detroit is getting a inner city off-road park? That'd be sweet.

Tray

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
Tray
Last Name
Cooper
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WB5TRA
You might also see if there’s a meet up in your area and meet some of the folks that have been at it a while, or coordinate a meet up. From what I’ve seen this is a pretty good community of folks that’ll help you find what you are looking for.

Reactions: Nate the Great

New Holland Overland

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Holland, MI
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Byington
Member #

Both the GAIA app and RAMBLR app have great trail maps for Michigan.

The DNR site also has a great resource for gathering ORV trail/route information.

If you join the Michigan Overlanders page we also post group rides and have posted trails in that page on facebook.

Reactions: DanMetiv

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Here's the thing, as much as it may not be approved of by many folks, there simply are not any "overlanding" routes anywhere east of the Mississippi river. There are however a handful of places left to go "four wheelin", which, if we aren't careful will soon be closed down. ( think tread lightly, leave no trace, ethics)
The best we have in the east is found up in the Maine backcountry, where you can become lost for weeks if you don't know what you're doing. Everywhere else it is a patchwork of state or national forest roads where one can pretend they are "overlanding". The only state/national forest I know of that has rustic dispersed car camping is in Pennsylvania that does not even require a four wheel drive vehicle. There is however, a varied network of maintained and unmaintained forest roads that can be used to move from campsite to campsite, depending upon what kind of vehicle you choose to use. It is my understanding that up in Maine the back country is privately owned by the lumber companies. One pays a fee to access the land and explore it by vehicle. We have camped in the southern sector of the National Forests in Virginia and were sorely disappointed at the lack of "overlanding" opportunities to be had there. Personally I cannot wait to move west, where fortunately, one can still find a bit of solitude. I hate to throw a wet blanket on your search, but it is what it is. When public lands are carved up with private lands, (think NO TRESPASSING) "overlanding" opportunities are non-existent. (you guessed it, I'm a strong advocate of keeping public lands public) Good luck with your adventures.

Reactions: joshjunior

joshjunior

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Memphis
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Maybe I can't us e the overland map. I can't find shit for overlanding in Michigan. The All trail app only show 3 spots in Michigan. Am I missing something? Any help is appreciated.
man its pretty rough in Mississippi as well. Gotta drive a bit to get anything lol