• HTML tutorial

Justinwrites

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate I

Olympia, WA
Member #

Hi,
We're trying to plan a trip for the stanislaus national forest region. I could use whatever info/insights people care to share. We are flexible on travel season, looking to avoid crowds, not freeze to death either though lol. There will be 3 adults and two littles. Stock FZJ80. Driving down from the Puget Sound region. Prefer dispersed camping. Feel free to tell me about good times to see Yosemite, too. Whether they're the same season/trip or not. We kind of expect to rent an airb&b or something for the Yosemite trip, maybe up to two hours from the visitor center because I don't like camping in crowded campgrounds. It sounds like highway 120 is pretty much a mad house.

Honestly, I'm even curious about what options are still open in the winter when fewer people are around.

Again thanks in advance.

Mtnmn99

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chamberlain, SD, USA
First Name
paul
Last Name
piazza
Member #

@Justinwrites
I live here in Arnold, California. In Stanislaus National Forest. There are a lot of areas to camp, some nice others very crowded. What time are you planning for? How difficult are you looking for? Are you looking to explore or base camp from place to place. During the winter, they close down many of the trails. In the summer, the courses are open but can be congested. Depending on the time of the week year you are coming has variable on the trail locations.

My favorite time is late summer early fall. The trails see less traffic, streams still running and it is not as hot.

PM me privately. I can share some camp spots trails nearby and around the nice secluded area, also others near water. Also, I am happy to show you some areas. It is great to meet fellow overlanders.

Justinwrites

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate I

Olympia, WA
Member #

I'll message you in the morning. We're not looking for anything real technical. Just nice spots to explore. If we can we'll leave camp set up and explore for a couple days and move on. We want to make our way down to YNP, in my fantasy version of this trip we avoid as much rush hour traffic as possible lol. It sounds like if I'm willing to keep looking there's always a spot to camp though, eh?

Ann_C

Rank 0

Contributor I

@Justinwrites
I live here in Arnold, California. In Stanislaus National Forest. There are a lot of areas to camp, some nice others very crowded. What time are you planning for? How difficult are you looking for? Are you looking to explore or base camp from place to place. During the winter, they close down many of the trails. In the summer, the courses are open but can be congested. Depending on the time of the week year you are coming has variable on the trail locations.

My favorite time is late summer early fall. The trails see less traffic, streams still running and it is not as hot.

PM me privately. I can share some camp spots trails nearby and around the nice secluded area, also others near water. Also, I am happy to show you some areas. It is great to meet fellow overlanders.
I'll message you in the morning. We're not looking for anything real technical. Just nice spots to explore. If we can we'll leave camp set up and explore for a couple days and move on. We want to make our way down to YNP, in my fantasy version of this trip we avoid as much rush hour traffic as possible lol. It sounds like if I'm willing to keep looking there's always a spot to camp though, eh?

Last edited:

Ann_C

Rank 0

Contributor I

Hi MTnmn99 ,
Did our first camp with our roof top tent at a designated camp site. Taking a leap into disperse camping in nearby Stanislaus National Forest with our two dogs. Are you able to share some camp spots/ trails we can get to with our Tacoma?

Appreciate it and excited to be part of the community,
Ann

Mtnmn99

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chamberlain, SD, USA
First Name
paul
Last Name
piazza
Member #

Hi MTnmn99 ,
Did our first camp with our roof top tent at a designated camp site. Taking a leap into disperse camping in nearby Stanislaus National Forest with our two dogs. Are you able to share some camp spots/ trails we can get to with our Tacoma?

Ann
Depending on when you are going here are a few.

1. Remote and off grid. These trails can be accessed now or April 30th and depending on snow you can go up higher.
    1. Highway 4 area.
      1. Boards Crossing. Lat: 38.295528 Lon: -120.258236 This trail is difficult but not impossible. The later half of the trail has a water hole that can be hard to cross.
      2. Aireola Camp Spot Lat: 38.349471 Lon: -120.250785. Easy access along a creek. Remote and nice. mosquitos can be bad.
      3. Slick Rock Camp. Lat: 38.443052 Lon: -120.011709. Higher Altitude can see traffic because it is a popular 4x4 trail. Granit rocks dispersed camping spots. Can be accessed through highway four or SlickRock 4x4 trail
      4. Corral Hollow. Easy trail lots of camping spots. See if you can camp near the cabin. Sees a lot of traffic, but not many campers. Corral Hollow OHV Trail Trail at Bear Valley
    2. Highway 108 Sonora Side
      1. Nigra Rim horse camp. It is Up high and far in. Offers some great camping spots. Lat: 38.288227Lon: -119.835911. Eagle creek and long valley creek are great to go for a hike. Can be open depending on time of year
      2. Iron Mountain Lots of camping spots. This one is right near a beautiful meadow. Lat: 38.272538 Lon: -119.867562
      3. Also look on All Trails and others. Many spots.

Ann_C

Rank 0

Contributor I

Hi MTnmn99 ,

Ann
Depending on when you are going here are a few.

1. Remote and off grid. These trails can be accessed now or April 30th and depending on snow you can go up higher.
    1. Highway 4 area.
      1. Boards Crossing. Lat: 38.295528 Lon: -120.258236 This trail is difficult but not impossible. The later half of the trail has a water hole that can be hard to cross.
      2. Aireola Camp Spot Lat: 38.349471 Lon: -120.250785. Easy access along a creek. Remote and nice. mosquitos can be bad.
      3. Slick Rock Camp. Lat: 38.443052 Lon: -120.011709. Higher Altitude can see traffic because it is a popular 4x4 trail. Granit rocks dispersed camping spots. Can be accessed through highway four or SlickRock 4x4 trail
      4. Corral Hollow. Easy trail lots of camping spots. See if you can camp near the cabin. Sees a lot of traffic, but not many campers. Corral Hollow OHV Trail Trail at Bear Valley
    2. Highway 108 Sonora Side
      1. Nigra Rim horse camp. It is Up high and far in. Offers some great camping spots. Lat: 38.288227Lon: -119.835911. Eagle creek and long valley creek are great to go for a hike. Can be open depending on time of year
      2. Iron Mountain Lots of camping spots. This one is right near a beautiful meadow. Lat: 38.272538 Lon: -119.867562
      3. Also look on All Trails and others. Many spots.
Love it. Thank you for all the options!
Ann

Reactions: Mtnmn99