Light Bars v Light Pods

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!
  • HTML tutorial

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham Callsign
YourHighness
I prefer two ditch lights on the hood, angled way out.
Two giant halogen round lights on the bumper.

Small rear facing light bar on rear of an Suv's rack for reversing. Or pods on the sides of the hitch, for trucks.

Lost Viking

Rank III
Adventure

Member III

Illinois, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Novack
Member #

Ham Callsign
N0VLV
I run 6inch pods on the rack with the two outer pointed out and 10inch on the bumper. Still debating if I need more or change my off brand lights and switch to the main stream lights. I do like the versatility with pods.

Waaazooo

Rank 0

Contributor I

Middle River, MD, USA
First Name
Waz
Last Name
Zoo
Light bars are always great light spread but the elevation of the bar is hard to have dialed in. Too high when on a trail, too low when on an improved road. Pods are nice to set up to cover both.

Billiebob

Rank V

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Small single light bar on the roof, far enough back so there is no glare off the hood, under the roof rack bar for protection.
DSCN1172.jpeg

A pillar lights angled out to light the sides and find the elusive trail on the beach on a moonless night.
DSCN1065.jpg

Legally in many Provinces and States, no lights are allowed above the centerline of the factory headlights.
Hence when Jeep put 4 lights on the roof of the Liberty they all came with plastic covers and were legal only for off road use.
In BC the ticket for unccovered auxiluary lights is $84.00.

The only exception is lighting on a truck equipped with a snow plow and in BC that is only during the snow clearing season.
The ticket for using lights higher than the factory headlight centerline on a public road in BC is $174.00.

Last edited:

Undie4x4

Rank I
Adventure

Contributor I

Bozeman, Gallatin County, Montana, United States
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Underwood
Member #

Small single light bar on the roof, far enough back so there is no glare off the hood, under the roof rack bar for protection.
View attachment 191996

A pillar lights angled out to light the sides and find the elusive trail on the beach on a moonless night.
View attachment 191997

Legally in many Provinces and States, no lights are allowed above the centerline of the factory headlights.
Hence when Jeep put 4 lights on the roof of the Liberty they all came with plastic covers and were legal only for off road use.
In BC the ticket for unccovered auxiluary lights is $84.00.

The only exception is lighting on a truck equipped with a snow plow and in BC that is only during the snow clearing season.
The ticket for using lights higher than the factory headlight centerline on a public road in BC is $174.00.
Is that drilled through the hard top? Also noise pollution from the light bar above windshield vs on hardtop under roof rack...? Love the idea