Lift.. too little, too much, just right?

• HTML tutorial

Caleb Cowan

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Little Rock, AR
Member #

Let's go with something I've been debating over the last year that I've been building my rig. How much is just enough lift?

I've always avoided spacer and block kits when it comes to adding inches. I have a stage 4 Icon setup which gives me 3" of lift. I've never had clearance problems, but now that I've completed my build... I'm itching for something else to do to it, and since suspension was the first thing I touched when starting, I'm back to it now and thinking "what about 4 or 5 inches...?"

armymgdude

Rank IV

Advocate II

Olympia, WA
And what are your goals? Looks, performance offroad, bigger tires? Mudding, rock crawling, long distance overlanding, mall crawling? Minimal lift is usually best if you rock crawl and like keeping the shiny side up.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Caleb Cowan

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Little Rock, AR
Member #

It's on a '96 Corolla.

But for real. It's on a '16 Colorado Z71.

Mods are:
-285/70R17 BFG KO2
-Icon stage 4 resi's w/ UCA
-Fab Fours Bumper w/ pre runner and 10k winch
-custom bed rack made by yours truly
-RTT
-enough lights to land a UFO
-super sliders rockers
-super skidz skid plates
-ARB split charging system/dual battery
-

Goals are long distance overlanding with some technical trail/rock

This setup has gotten me with 0 problems through all of the North Rim, Moab, Northern Utah, Scofield Pass in Colorado, and everything in Arkansas.

Just getting bored and looking for another thing to throw money into.

Glenn

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

New Tazewell, Tennessee, USA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Cote
Member #

The rule to determine lift is "how big a tire you want"? The only reason we raise is to get bigger tires. You can lift a rig to the moon and have 33" tires but you gain no ground clearance in your undercarriage. Now use the same moon lift and add 35 or 37" tires and you now have a lot more undercarriage clearance. I have done a lot of rock crawling with my Rubicon and I run 4" lift and 35's. I would not want to go any higher, especially with the RTT.
The number of inches of course varies on rigs. Pickups and Jeeps are apples and oranges so "inches" is different on all. When you lift don't forget it changes the dynamics of EVERYTHING if you get to tall, so don't get too crazy or your wallet and ride quality will hate you...lol

Glenn

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Cote
Member #

For example...My Rubicon got all squirrely in the front end with my Teraflex lift ($3k) but no worries, spend another $700 in Synergy parts to get it back to sane...lol

synergy.jpg

P1060730 (640x479).jpg

Captain Josh

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid-Michigan
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Fornwall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4WOL
If it's performing well for you, maybe take another approach. Do you need a higher lift, or are there parts of it that aren't performing as you'd like? Could you maybe upgrade your shocks? Add to the steering? Like other posters have said, how big of tires do you want to run? If you go bigger, there's always re-gearing to consider... lockers... What else would make your overlanding adventures safer and more fun?

Vyscera

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chico, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Smith
Member #

@Glenn nailed it. There is modification for form, and mods for function. You need to figure out what the purpose is. My truck is by most standards "huge" 6" suspension, 3" body and 37" tires (3" of lift") 7' overhead clearance. I went higher to compensate for the length and clear the tires. I can get over a lot of stuff, but to get here its been 2 different kits, replacements bumpers, Hi-lift and bottle jack extensions, Huge matching spare, upgrading most steering components, programmer to recalibrate speedometer, etc. I had a goal in mind and it took a little more than I anticipated to make it reality. So be mindful of what tertiary affects any changes will make. Also, bigger stuff is heavy, which reduces cargo capacity and fuel economy.

Reactions: Glenn

Captain Josh

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid-Michigan
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Fornwall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4WOL
@Glenn nailed it. There is modification for form, and mods for function. You need to figure out what the purpose is. My truck is by most standards "huge" 6" suspension, 3" body and 37" tires (3" of lift") 7' overhead clearance. I went higher to compensate for the length and clear the tires. I can get over a lot of stuff, but to get here its been 2 different kits, replacements bumpers, Hi-lift and bottle jack extensions, Huge matching spare, upgrading most steering components, programmer to recalibrate speedometer, etc. I had a goal in mind and it took a little more than I anticipated to make it reality. So be mindful of what tertiary affects any changes will make. Also, bigger stuff is heavy, which reduces cargo capacity and fuel economy.
Did you re-gear at all? That might help you a little with some of the side effects... of course that in and of itself is yet another change.

@Caleb Cowan, I think you need to start out with a specific goal, and then we'll all be happy to help with guidance on how to get there :grinning:

Vyscera

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chico, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Smith
Member #

@Captain Josh I have factory 4:10 gears, I've been debating going to 4.88's but I'm on the highway too much. Unless I'm pulling a trailer I don't really notice the difference. But the truck wants to run in third on most inclines with a trailer.

Glenn

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Cote
Member #

Did you re-gear at all? That might help you a little with some of the side effects... of course that in and of itself is yet another change.

@Caleb Cowan, I think you need to start out with a specific goal, and then we'll all be happy to help with guidance on how to get there :grinning:
That's why I never went to 37's. I almost did , but then the re-gear was going to be necessary with my 4.10's. Im glad I didn't go that route since having the RTT now. Im sticking with 35's...never had a problem getting anywhere.