Laramie, WY, USA
First Name
Mathew
Last Name
Threadgill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N5MST
Well it seems I stumbled upon a wealth of knowledge in regards to Ram pickup fans. I have seen several really nice builds on Ram platforms so I thought I would asked for some thoughts. I am looking to lift my 2016 Ram 1500, because lets face it the factory approach angles suck. So my question is who is make the best lift kits for Ram trucks these days? I wish I could find a long travel kit that didn't cost me my first born but that is like looking for hens teeth. What I do want is 4-6" suspension lift and some upgraded shocks. So what do you Ram guys have to say?

Fellow Jeeper

Rank V

Influencer II

Latrobe Pa
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Bobincheck
I would be interested as well. I have a 2013 sport. I asked the same question a few weeks ago. I looked at zone and bds and rough country. All seem to be top notch. Then I just heard about aev doing a 4". May wait to find out more. I want a 4 I think. Still use the truck. My wife can still get in and put our girls in their seat without having to need a ladder lol. Plus also 4" will get you a 35s. A 6 will do 37s. My jeep jkur has 35s and their pricey enough for me.

Sent from my SM-G935V using OB Talk mobile app

CatButt

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Redondo Beach, Ca
First Name
Rem
Last Name
Wyatt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6HMC
Service Branch
USMC
Look real seriously at Carli. If I had a newer Dodge I would go that route for sure. Lots of great vids and pics and info on the webs about them. 4-6 inch lift is SUPER serious and needs to be handled accordingly. What is the intended use of the truck? 4 is reasonable for an overlander but 6 inches is getting up there...not sure you would need that unless you wanna run 40s and then you are building more of a trail truck/crawler...IMHO.

RockyMountaineer

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Laramie, WY, USA
First Name
Mathew
Last Name
Threadgill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N5MST
Look real seriously at Carli. If I had a newer Dodge I would go that route for sure. Lots of great vids and pics and info on the webs about them. 4-6 inch lift is SUPER serious and needs to be handled accordingly. What is the intended use of the truck? 4 is reasonable for an overlander but 6 inches is getting up there...not sure you would need that unless you wanna run 40s and then you are building more of a trail truck/crawler...IMHO.
I have two goals. First is to fit 35s under the truck. Which isn't that big of a departure from stock size. And second is to improve my ground clearance, approach,departure, and break over angles. A 4 inch lift gets me all that. I'm not concerned with cost, but I always seek value.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

CatButt

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Redondo Beach, Ca
First Name
Rem
Last Name
Wyatt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6HMC
Service Branch
USMC
I have two goals. First is to fit 35s under the truck. Which isn't that big of a departure from stock size. And second is to improve my ground clearance, approach,departure, and break over angles. A 4 inch lift gets me all that. I'm not concerned with cost, but I always seek value.

I have the same thought process as well. I want to spend money wisely. I would still look at Carli...they are spendy, but they do their R&D and they stand behind their stuff.

RockyMountaineer

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Laramie, WY, USA
First Name
Mathew
Last Name
Threadgill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N5MST
I have the same thought process as well. I want to spend money wisely. I would still look at Carli...they are spendy, but they do their R&D and they stand behind their stuff.
I like Carli, they do good stuff. As does Icon. But neither of them make a 4 inch lift for my truck. Right now it looks like Rough Country, Pro Comp, and Mopar are going to be my best bets with Mopar being the most expensive of them.

CatButt

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Redondo Beach, Ca
First Name
Rem
Last Name
Wyatt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6HMC
Service Branch
USMC
These guys are who I used...http://store.dodgeoffroad.com/45-Gen-Trucks-2013-2017_c_50.html

I had issues with mine, but not related to their work...well kinda. I got the first kit after they switched to Fox Shox. They sent the wrong length shocks as well as wrong springs. They did get it sorted, well I am still working on the springs...and it took a long time to get the new shocks and springs. BUT their long arm kit is incredible.

Buyer beware.

Randy P

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oakley, CA
Member #

Well it seems I stumbled upon a wealth of knowledge in regards to Ram pickup fans. I have seen several really nice builds on Ram platforms so I thought I would asked for some thoughts. I am looking to lift my 2016 Ram 1500, because lets face it the factory approach angles suck. So my question is who is make the best lift kits for Ram trucks these days? I wish I could find a long travel kit that didn't cost me my first born but that is like looking for hens teeth. What I do want is 4-6" suspension lift and some upgraded shocks. So what do you Ram guys have to say?
Have you looked at Kore?

Sent from my VS985 4G using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: CatButt

OffroadTreks

Rank IV

Advocate II

Nomad
Member #

You don't need 6 inches for overland or offroad. It'd actually hurt you with that IFS front end. I had a 1500 first before moving to the more capable Power Wagon.

My suggestion to you is to seriously look at the AEV lift. If you don't want to go that route, you can also do the Bilstein 5100 adjustable and set them at 2.5 for the front. For the rear, I originally upgraded to Tuff Trucks progressive rate springs, which raised the rear 2 inches.

You can fix that approach with a better bumper too.

RockyMountaineer

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Laramie, WY, USA
First Name
Mathew
Last Name
Threadgill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N5MST
You don't need 6 inches for overland or offroad. It'd actually hurt you with that IFS front end. I had a 1500 first before moving to the more capable Power Wagon.

My suggestion to you is to seriously look at the AEV lift. If you don't want to go that route, you can also do the Bilstein 5100 adjustable and set them at 2.5 for the front. For the rear, I originally upgraded to Tuff Trucks progressive rate springs, which raised the rear 2 inches.

You can fix that approach with a better bumper too.
I never said I needed or wanted a 6 inch lift. I am after a 4 inch lift. That gives me enough to get 35 inch tires underneath the truck w/o much in the way of fender modification if any. And of course the added benefit of better angles all the way around.

OffroadTreks

Rank IV

Advocate II

Nomad
Member #

I never said I needed or wanted a 6 inch lift. I am after a 4 inch lift. That gives me enough to get 35 inch tires underneath the truck w/o much in the way of fender modification if any. And of course the added benefit of better angles all the way around.
Guess I can't read ...

What I do want is 4-6" suspension lift and some upgraded shocks. So what do you Ram guys have to say?
With Bilsteins at 2.8” or a 2.5” spacer you can run up to a 35x12.5 tire and shouldn’t have any issues. I ran Toyo's in 315 size on mine. Keep in mind most 35x12.5 tires only measure 34.5” tall when mounted.

A common size that lots of guys run to avoid looking stuffed is a 295/60/20. Typically the widest tire you can fit on a stock Rim with no wheel spacers is a 285. . A ¼” spacer will subtract 6mm off your offset and is typically enough to clear the upper A-arm with almost all 12.5” (up to 315) wide tires.

Hope this info helps.

Reactions: Fitter2914

RockyMountaineer

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Laramie, WY, USA
First Name
Mathew
Last Name
Threadgill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N5MST
Guess I can't read ...

With Bilsteins at 2.8” or a 2.5” spacer you can run up to a 35x12.5 tire and shouldn’t have any issues. I ran Toyo's in 315 size on mine. Keep in mind most 35x12.5 tires only measure 34.5” tall when mounted.

A common size that lots of guys run to avoid looking stuffed is a 295/60/20. Typically the widest tire you can fit on a stock Rim with no wheel spacers is a 285. . A ¼” spacer will subtract 6mm off your offset and is typically enough to clear the upper A-arm with almost all 12.5” (up to 315) wide tires.

Hope this info helps.
Attitude really? I asked a question you didn't have to bother. Anyway moving on. Thank you for the information, it helps. Like I said 35s w/o fender modification is the goal. I can live with the stock width and I really doubt I'll go wider then 10".

Truckerbizz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Reno NV
Member #

I run Fox coilovers at an inch of lift and have made 35s fit, I definitely wouldn't recommend it but you can crank them up to 3 inches and then run a block in the rear. That is my eventual plan.