Lifepo4 batteries? | OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY

Lifepo4 batteries?

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!
  • HTML tutorial

JEEPNMEDIC

Rank 0

Contributor I

Waxahachie, TX, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Wilder
I have done a search to no avail on the forum, so I will post the question. what is everyone's thought on the lifepo4 battery brands. I know battle born is suppose to be the best, however there dimensions don't fit the space I have. also renogy and SOK don't make anything smaller then a 100 ah and those are also too big, so are there other brands that people think are ok? I found a brand called eco-worthy its an off brand but the dimension work and the price isn't bad. so before I jump what do in need to know about using lifepo4 batteries? also for the space I am trying to fit, I think multiple smaller batteries would be better like 25-50 ah but the 50 seem to be just barely to big as well, but is this bad for lifepo4 batteries? or do smaller ah batteries not have the same BMS like the bigger ah ones?

grubworm

Rank V

Member III

Thibodaux, LA, USA
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Ham Callsign
WRMA515
Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Reactions: MuckSavage

reaver

Rank V
Expedition

Traveler III

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
The biggest thing you need to think about is whether or not the battery your getting has a low temperature cutoff switch. The reason for this is because LiFePO4 cannot be charged below about 35F. Doing so will turn your battery into a paper weight.

Check out DIY Solar on YouTube for battery reviews and teardown.

If you don't already have a dc to dc charger, you would need one of those as well, as the battery cannot be charged via the alternator.

There are ways that you can safeguard the battery from the cold though, but it gets a bit complicated. You'd need to build an insulated box, put a heating source that's triggered by a thermostat in there to make sure the cells stay warm. You'd then need a way to delay charging until the temperature inside the box is above a certain point.

Or you could spend more money to get a 50Ah battery that has a confirmed working temperature cutoff (Dakota or battle born).

lhoffm4

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
Remember where all/most of these are manufactured. The name brands you see are marketing their packaged version or spin on a product. Once you do your research, you can source the cells, bms, etc. at deep discount. Renogy-200ah, 12v= $1100+, BattleBorn-200ah, 12v= $1700+. They all use the same cells they just wrap them up with a look or a few different features.

I call it the “Kentucky Fried Chicken analogy”. If that is what I am hungry for, I can either buy the name brand (fast, ready to eat, I know it will be good tasting, and spend $30+ for the meal. I can also learn to cook fried chicken and make my own for 20% or so of that cost for the finished product. Chances are the meat for those meals is coming from the same/similar farms.

I went to Allie Express, did a review and found Global Power as a seller, who offers a set of LiFePO4 cells at 12v, 200ah and paid $325 (tax and shipping included). Add another $20-$40 for a battery management system and a battery box with 12v ports to put the cells in and you now have a usable set up at 20-25% of what a name brand product will cost you. Same quality, seasoned to taste... just saying.
1636980278026.jpeg

leeloo

Rank V

Member III

Luxembourg
First Name
Mihai
Last Name
Doros
Member #

Got this one, not the cheapest one, but not top of the line either.
IN general this company had good feed back.
Has done a couple of trips. I am running an engel 40l fridge and some lights, charging phones and tablets. Never seen lower than half , I have a solar 100w panel as well.
Can't tell about long term yet, this was my first year of use.
The idea you had about pairing 2 20 or 25 AH lifepo4 is very attractive, because you can stick them in unused places, like under the seats, or behind a panel in the trunk - easily, and this is great value in small, medium size rigs.
They are very light as well.

4Rover

Rank 0

Contributor I

Maryland, USA
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Shen
A guy named Will Prowse has an excellent website, www.mobile-solarpower.com, with product recommendations having to do with LiFePO4 batteries and solar power setups. He also has a YouTube channel. My understanding is he always buys the products he reviews with his own money, so his recommendations are not biased from having received a product as a gift from a manufacturer.

M Rose

US Northwest Region Director
Expedition
Benefactor

Explorer I

La Grande, Oregon, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham Callsign
KJ7MFV
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
A guy named Will Prowse has an excellent website, www.mobile-solarpower.com, with product recommendations having to do with LiFePO4 batteries and solar power setups. He also has a YouTube channel. My understanding is he always buys the products he reviews with his own money, so his recommendations are not biased from having received a product as a gift from a manufacturer.
Not all of his videos are done with stuff he bought… but he is up front and tells which ones sponsored the video, and still gives an honest review.

Reactions: 4Rover

4Rover

Rank 0

Contributor I

Maryland, USA
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Shen
Not all of his videos are done with stuff he bought… but he is up front and tells which ones sponsored the video, and still gives an honest review.
Thanks for clarifying. I agree, he gives honest reviews. He has YouTube videos that explain things very clearly for beginners, but he also has done some very advanced stuff with solar power and electrical systems.

Reactions: lhoffm4 and M Rose

Mike W

US MidWest Region Director
Staff member
Expedition

Off-Road Ranger I

Ankeny, IA, USA
Member #

Ham Callsign
KE0GCN
The biggest thing you need to think about is whether or not the battery your getting has a low temperature cutoff switch. The reason for this is because LiFePO4 cannot be charged below about 35F. Doing so will turn your battery into a paper weight.
Also make sure you keep them under ~140F because heat can kill them too. Just don't put them in an engine bay.

I found 6.1" of space under my drawer system in my LR4 so I am cramming two 170AH renogy batteries under there. Way overkill power but that should be fun. They take a charge so well it is crazy. I put 90 amp hours into one with a 25 amp charger in like 90 minutes. I'll have a redarc 50 amp dcdc charger so I can put huge amounts of power back into these things with a short drive.

1638286420938.png
1638286454917.png

lhoffm4

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
Thank you so much for all the answers
Im building mine to be modular so I can more easily move things around. I’m putting the cells themselves in one of the autozone battery boxes that has some 12v ports, USB ports and a quick reference charge read-out. I was inspired by the small footprint of the Bluetti EB70 my Son gifted me. I’d already ordered some components for my larger project. So I will make sure they all play well together for the power needs. Making things modular and portablewill also allow me to keep the batteries in the house in a well regulated environment. Then I can keep them healthy and long lasting. None of the lead-acid batts in my vehicles have lasted 10 years. But then they didn’t cost as much as the LiFePO4 batts either!