Lets See Your Solar Setups For Camping

• HTML tutorial

Corey

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Auburn, WA.
Member #

I have gone with a few 100 watt solar panels, and I just upgraded yesterday.
I have upgraded again, I took possession of the Overland Solar 120 watt folding one yesterday.
Owner Brian drove to my home and hand delivered it too, as he was on this side of the mountains, very cool.
He dropped by yesterday around 4 PM, and I tore into it to check it out, and read the paper work on it.

I have been using the Renogy 100 watt Suitcase one for a few years, but this one is a lot more efficient, and higher wattage output.
With the Renogy there are lines on the glass, there are no lines on the SunPower crystals of the Overland Solar setup, thus letting in more sunlight.
The case and panel itself are smaller than the Renogy, so my FJ will be happier not feeling so bloated inside when loaded up for a trip.

This comes stock with the red colored Anderson plugs, but my cable that goes from the 2nd battery in my dual battery setup has the gray Anderson SB50 plugs on it, so Brian swapped out the red ones Friday night before dropping it off to me on Saturday.
I had also bought a 30' extension from him earlier in the year, and he also had swapped it over to the gray ones.
It also comes with a short cable with Anderson plugs and alligator clips if your rig is not setup like mine with the hard wired cable (he carries these too) from the battery to my ARB bumper in which to plug in the solar panel.

I have heard nothing but great things about Brian's company, and the reviews over on his site are from some very happy customers.
My Renogy is pretty much sold already to a member/moderator over on my forum YotaTech, he should get many years out of it.
I am using a solar panel primarily to keep the Optima Yellowtop topped off as it runs the National Luna Weekender 50 Twin Fridge/Freezer.

Links:

Overland Solar

120 watt model

Pics:

The new one takes up less space, very nice

Being a tri-fold it sits lower, but is hardly any longer than the Renogy, nice
And yes, that is the Dr Who Christmas special I am watching this morning that recorded on Christmas.

I had ran some tests with the Renogy back in April, and on my dual battery setup it had the 2nd battery up to 13.4v in no time.
Very anxious to test out the new Overland Solar one since it is suppose to gather in more light and output more power.

Here was the Renogy one in action from this past August, I had great sun exposure mostly all day long

rlhydn

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

2x wired 90w Goal Zero panels fixed to the roof rack

1x 80w Projecta folding panel using Anderson plugs in front and rear bullbars

Managed by Projecta BCDC
Monitored by a BM-1 monitor

Running 50L National Luna weekender, Handpresso expresso machine, GoPro etc charging, 1000w pure sine inverter for MacBook charging

KD7WCD

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Influencer I

Tempe, AZ, USA
First Name
Jayson
Last Name
Adamsen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD7WCD
I have upgraded again, I took possession of the Overland Solar 120 watt folding one yesterday.
Owner Brian drove to my home and hand delivered it too, as he was on this side of the mountains, very cool.
He dropped by yesterday around 4 PM, and I tore into it to check it out, and read the paper work on it.

I have been using the Renogy 100 watt Suitcase one for a few years, but this one is a lot more efficient, and higher wattage output.
With the Renogy there are lines on the glass, there are no lines on the SunPower crystals of the Overland Solar setup, thus letting in more sunlight.
The case and panel itself are smaller than the Renogy, so my FJ will be happier not feeling so bloated inside when loaded up for a trip.

This comes stock with the red colored Anderson plugs, but my cable that goes from the 2nd battery in my dual battery setup has the gray Anderson SB50 plugs on it, so Brian swapped out the red ones Friday night before dropping it off to me on Saturday.
I had also bought a 30' extension from him earlier in the year, and he also had swapped it over to the gray ones.
It also comes with a short cable with Anderson plugs and alligator clips if your rig is not setup like mine with the hard wired cable (he carries these too) from the battery to my ARB bumper in which to plug in the solar panel.

I have heard nothing but great things about Brian's company, and the reviews over on his site are from some very happy customers.
My Renogy is pretty much sold already to a member/moderator over on my forum YotaTech, he should get many years out of it.
I am using a solar panel primarily to keep the Optima Yellowtop topped off as it runs the National Luna Weekender 50 Twin Fridge/Freezer.

Links:

Overland Solar

120 watt model

Pics:

And yes, that is the Dr Who Christmas special I am watching this morning that recorded on Christmas.

I had ran some tests with the Renogy back in April, and on my dual battery setup it had the 2nd battery up to 13.4v in no time.
Very anxious to test out the new Overland Solar one since it is suppose to gather in more light and output more power.

Here was the Renogy one in action from this past August, I had great sun exposure mostly all day long
Great wright up. Got me thinking about refining my rig this year.

Sent from my "Smart Phone"

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter

Links:

Overland Solar

120 watt model

Pics:

Unless I just missed it they don't say how thick it is folded up only how wide and tall. How thick is your unit?

Corey

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Auburn, WA.
Member #

Great wright up. Got me thinking about refining my rig this year.
Thanks, solar is very nice for camping.
Sent from my "Smart Phone"
Unless I just missed it they don't say how thick it is folded up only how wide and tall. How thick is your unit?
I would have to measure, but I would say it is like adding one more thickness since it is a tri-fold.
But still it is very compact compared to the Renogy since it is shorter and less wide.

Reactions: The Lone Overlander

Stomper4x4

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Redding, California
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Carlson
Member #

Links:

Overland Solar

120 watt model

Pics:

The overland solar unit looks to be about double the price of the Renogy. As far as bang for the buck, is it worth the extra cost in your opinion? Have you had a chance to get a good feel between the two, pros, cons etc?

Corey

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Auburn, WA.
Member #

The overland solar unit looks to be about double the price of the Renogy. As far as bang for the buck, is it worth the extra cost in your opinion? Have you had a chance to get a good feel between the two, pros, cons etc?
I know the Overland Solar unit uses more efficient cells, thus producing more true watts, and they are USA sourced I believe.
Have not had a chance to even hook it up to the rig yet, rain season is here now, and one storm after another here in the PNW.

From people I have talked to, these units are worth the extra price for being made in the USA.
One sunny day hopefully not to far in the future I will get a chance to test it at home side by side with the Renogy one.
Will hook one up to each battery, and see what the voltage on the batteries are.

Also the Renogy charge controller for the suitcase is not rain proof, the Overland Solar one is.
And from what I read on their site somewhere, there are no lines on the glass, thus that lets in more sunlight to the cells.
My Renogy one has the lines on the glass, the Overland Solar one does not.
Not All Solar is Created Equal

There are many types and brands on the market to choose from, some at much lower or higher costs. Ultimately, the value of a system is only measured by the amps into your battery. With the most efficient and shade-resistant cells on the market combined with our high-quality charge controller and wiring, our systems offer the best value - more power, smaller size, and longest life. In fact, we guarantee that our system will outperform any equivalent system on the market or your money back.

Learn why our Sunpower panels outperform!

Each System Includes

• Built-in 3-stage, dust-proof and water resistant charge controller for all battery types
  • Custom molded case
  • Alligator clips for temporary connection to battery
  • Anderson connections for quick connection to accessories
Here is more info on the Sun Power solar cells he uses.
https://overlandsolar.com/blogs/news/why-the-new-overlandsolar-products-have-set-the-bar

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

I've owned Zamp solar system on my 5th wheel & found that Zamp produces served me well for years & gave me true clean power deep in bear hunting country or off grid dispersed camping.
My M416 type trailer build, I've looked into every possible solar system available for 6months. Price isn't a problem or issue for me, I wanted reliability & clean power for the build I was doing which 100% offgrid camping only. Having gear that is marked "Overland" doesn't make it any better. I ended up with Renogy. Their customer service is a great experience & their recommendations for what equipment I was going to need. Basically I have a fail safe system that is reliable for "me & the wife" that will fill our needs.

My solar system consist of Renogy 30 amp charge controller is in the nose box (tongue box) of my trailer, 2 100 watt portable suit case Renogy panels with branch connectors & 5ft. pigtail cable, 15ft. of 10awg cable for the solar panel. I can run both 100 watt panels together or just one 100 watt panel shown in my picture which supplies my VMax Tank 125 amp hour AGM battery. The gear I run is Engel 40qt Eclipse 12v fridg\freez, Propex H2000 Heat Source tent heater, Zodi Hot Shower System I converted to 12v., my tent rack LED filtered lights which draws barely anything, & the RTT light strip. 037.JPG 003.JPG 006.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Sonarman and Road

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I know the Overland Solar unit uses more efficient cells, thus producing more true watts, and they are USA sourced I believe.

From people I have talked to, these units are worth the extra price for being made in the USA.
Actually, it is my understanding that SunPower is based in the US but their panels, like used now by Overland Solar, are made in China, Mexico, and the Phillipines. https://news.energysage.com/where-solar-panels-are-manufactured/

A lot of other interesting information at that link, including typical costs and a list of panels made in the USA (2018 list), if that is a primary factor in choosing a panel or paying more.

If a panel performs statistically better--especially to the degree that Maxeon panels seem to do--I don't mind if it is manufactured overseas. A lot of my gear is made elsewhere. Though I prefer buying locally made products and items made in the USA, it doesn't mean it is always the best product or best bang for your buck. I'll pay more, within reason, for USA made, but if the product doesn't match or exceed that which is made elsewhere, I can't justify the additional expense. Of the main elements in my camping set up, my trailer is made in Wisconsin, my awning is made in South Africa, my ground tent is made in Australia, my RTT is made in China for a US vendor, and I haven't been able to discover where my trailer's rack is made.

I have an Overland Solar 120w folding panel and put it through its paces in extended base camp setups in a variety of situations. I really love the panel and am impressed with its output, though may try and find another source when I get a couple panels meant for fixed use. I plan on experimenting with them for an idea I have for extended travel and off-grid living. Though impressed with the SunPower panels, I'm sorry to say I haven't been impressed with Overland Solar's customer relations. After being quite patient for things promised when I purchased the panel at Overland Expo East, reaching out to them later via email, receiving only a reply the thrust of which was "I'll Cc: him with this" and hearing absolutely nothing else since, I'm quite discouraged, really. I'll give them another try at replying, but don't hold a lot of faith right now.

The Maxeon panels though: From what I can gather in reading as much current info as I can, SunPower Maxeon is the most efficient panel out there, with a conversion efficiency of 21.5% and panels that produce 25-28% more watts than conventional panels.

For those interested, here's a link to a post I made in another solar thread about the Maxeon panels and what I hope to do: https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/on-trail-camp-solar-power.10845/#post-189974

The next couple years are going to be very interesting in the world of solar and making your own power when on the road.

Here's my own solar setup for camping:

roaddude_solar-3675.jpg

Four @gofsr solar-powered Ready Lights with USB ports. Each unit has a large main light on the back and four removable pods that have super strong magnets and hooks and can act as task lighting, flashlight, or emergency flasher. This gives me 16 movable solar-powered pods that charge back up each day when on the mother light. These pods are all I use now in place of stationary LED lights in camp, whether in my van, working around the trailer, or in the tent. The folding panel is 120w Sunpower Maxeon sold by Overland Solar. I have it on a 45' cord, all of 10ga wire, most of which I made myself, with Andersen plugs on each end. 45' lets me move the panel around considerably, and even when under a canopy of trees, I can most always find spots open enough to charge my system.

PowerCtr_9941.JPG

Here's the power center, from left to right: big hole at lower left is for cords to inverter, etc (has a cover on the outside), solar input (black wire leading to the outside wall), 110 in and out (gray box), protected switches for lights and pump etc, dual Odyssey batteries stacked on brackets one over the other, Blue Sea fuse box. Backed up to the wall at the bottom of the photo is the Noco Gen 2 Battery Charger (for controlling shore power input if hooked up to 110, which I've never had to do yet!). Out of view on the lid is a Zamp Charge Controller for solar input that provides a lot more info than the controller on the folding set, which we bypassed upon purchase.

I've also added a Zamp 1000w Pure Sine Inverter on the left angled wall, and an ARB CKMA 12 air compressor down inside this same compartment.

More about my setup and how it works at https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/on-trail-camp-solar-power.10845/#post-186118

Last edited:

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

everyone has their preference in gear & equipment. . .

Propex H2000 Heat Source tent heater 1.9 amp ,
Hey Don - I agree, we all have our own preferences and experience with gear and kit. There's no one best solution.

Not to bogart the thread, but I'm curious about your Propex heater. I've seen you mention it elsewhere. The 1.9 amp draw is for the blower? I'm assuming it has a squirrel-cage type blower that pushes air? Any power to the ignition is proably so instant that it's insignificant? So the blower is an on and off draw or run the whole time the unit is operating? I need to look into them more and appreciate your experience. I'm getting an Espar heater for the van, small unit with a blower and venting that runs from the diesel tank, but have thought about something for my Oz Tent set up, especially for extended basecamping. You might want to do a post just about the Propex, or link to it if already is one. Thanks.

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

I was turned on to this unit by another forum when in the early stages of my build last year. I was wanting a actual safe no issue (dangerous gases, or fire hazard) heating system for my RTT. Dave from American Adventurists sent a link to me on this. This unit is pricy but worth the peace of mind & the efficiency is made possible by this heater unit. It's one of these pieces of equipment IMO & as for me "it's not for everyone". http://www.propexheatsource.com/heaters/hs2000-furnace/
http://store.adventuretrailers.com/categories/HEATER/
I bought the kit & supplied my own small tool box to house this unit. Like I said its pricy but IMO how can you put a actual price to life & safety.

Last edited:
Reactions: Road

Corey

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Auburn, WA.
Member #

Actually, it is my understanding that SunPower is based in the US but their panels, like used now by Overland Solar, are made in China, Mexico, and the Phillipines. https://news.energysage.com/where-solar-panels-are-manufactured/

A lot of other interesting information at that link, including typical costs and a list of panels made in the USA (2018 list), if that is a primary factor in choosing a panel or paying more.

If a panel performs statistically better--especially to the degree that Maxeon panels seem to do--I don't mind if it is manufactured overseas. A lot of my gear is made elsewhere. Though I prefer buying locally made products and items made in the USA, it doesn't mean it is always the best product or best bang for your buck. I'll pay more, within reason, for USA made, but if the product doesn't match or exceed that which is made elsewhere, I can't justify the additional expense. Of the main elements in my camping set up, my trailer is made in Wisconsin, my awning is made in South Africa, my ground tent is made in Australia, my RTT is made in China for a US vendor, and I haven't been able to discover where my trailer's rack is made.

I have an Overland Solar 120w folding panel and put it through its paces in extended base camp setups in a variety of situations. I really love the panel and am impressed with its output, though may try and find another source when I get a couple panels meant for fixed use. I plan on experimenting with them for an idea I have for extended travel and off-grid living. Though impressed with the SunPower panels, I'm sorry to say I haven't been impressed with Overland Solar's customer relations. After being quite patient for things promised when I purchased the panel at Overland Expo East, reaching out to them later via email, receiving only a reply the thrust of which was "I'll Cc: him with this" and hearing absolutely nothing else since, I'm quite discouraged, really. I'll give them another try at replying, but don't hold a lot of faith right now.

The Maxeon panels though: From what I can gather in reading as much current info as I can, SunPower Maxeon is the most efficient panel out there, with a conversion efficiency of 21.5% and panels that produce 25-28% more watts than conventional panels.

For those interested, here's a link to a post I made in another solar thread about the Maxeon panels and what I hope to do: https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/on-trail-camp-solar-power.10845/#post-189974

The next couple years are going to be very interesting in the world of solar and making your own power when on the road.

Here's my own solar setup for camping:

Four @gofsr solar-powered Ready Lights with USB ports. Each unit has a large main light on the back and four removable pods that have super strong magnets and hooks and can act as task lighting, flashlight, or emergency flasher. This gives me 16 movable solar-powered pods that charge back up each day when on the mother light. These pods are all I use now in place of stationary LED lights in camp, whether in my van, working around the trailer, or in the tent. The folding panel is 120w Sunpower Maxeon sold by Overland Solar. I have it on a 45' cord, all of 10ga wire, most of which I made myself, with Andersen plugs on each end. 45' lets me move the panel around considerably, and even when under a canopy of trees, I can most always find spots open enough to charge my system.

Here's the power center, from left to right: big hole at lower left is for cords to inverter, etc (has a cover on the outside), solar input (black wire leading to the outside wall), 110 in and out (gray box), protected rocker switchs for lights and pump etc, dual Odyssey batteries stacked on brackets one over the other, Blue Sea fuse box. Backed up to the wall at the bottom of the photo is the Noco Gen 2 Battery Charger (for controlling shore power input if hooked up to 110, which I've never had to do yet!). Out of view on the lid is a Zamp Charge Controller for solar input that provides a lot more info than the controller on the folding set, which we bypassed upon purchase.

I've also added a Zamp 1000w Pure Sine Inverter on the left angled wall, and an ARB CKMA 12 air compressor down inside this same compartment.

More about my setup and how it works at https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/on-trail-camp-solar-power.10845/#post-186118
That is a pretty impressive setup.
I have one of those GoFSR solar LED lights, but have not had it out yet camping.

I have had good customer experience though with Overland Solar.
First item I had bought was the 30’ Anderson SB50 plug equiped extension cord which I used on my August vacation with the Renogy suitcase panel.

When I talked to him about the new panel I bought, he changed out the red Anderson plugs on his panel to match my extension, and the cable on my ARB bumper to the battery with the gray Andersons.
He also home delivered the panel to my front door which I thought was very cool.

Reactions: Road

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

That is a pretty impressive setup.
I have one of those GoFSR solar LED lights, but have not had it out yet camping.

I have had good customer experience though with Overland Solar.
First item I had bought was the 30’ Anderson SB50 plug equiped extension cord which I used on my August vacation with the Renogy suitcase panel.

When I talked to him about the new panel I bought, he changed out the red Anderson plugs on his panel to match my extension, and the cable on my ARB bumper to the battery with the gray Andersons.
He also home delivered the panel to my front door which I thought was very cool.
Thanks Corey - my main point was to make it clear that the SunPower panels are not made in America, so that shouldn't affect anyone's judgement about it being part of their higher price.

Then I just got off on tangents, then because your post asked about everyone's solar setups, posted mine. I love experimenting with off-grid solutions and as far as generating power goes, solar panels feeding deep cycles seems to be the most efficient right now. Fun to play with different ways of doing it. I ran everything I needed, including my power hungry eBike, multiple AA and AAA chargers, power packs, all my mobile devices, camera gear batteries, and water pump from the setup as presented. I want to beef it up with more input and more storage to reduce the amount of tending I have to do, meaning not worry as much about where the panels are and if direct enough to the sun throughout the entire day.

Reactions: Corey

Corey

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Auburn, WA.
Member #

Thanks Corey - my main point was to make it clear that the SunPower panels are not made in America, so that shouldn't affect anyone's judgement about it being part of their higher price.

I want to beef it up with more input and more storage to reduce the amount of tending I have to do, meaning not worry as much about where the panels are and if direct enough to the sun throughout the entire day.
That is good information.
Someone needs to come up with a cheap stand to set these folding panels on, and have it 12v motor driven so the stand rotates to keep the panel in the sun :sunglasses:

Reactions: RickLB and Road

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

That is good information.
Someone needs to come up with a cheap stand to set these folding panels on, and have it 12v motor driven so the stand rotates to keep the panel in the sun :sunglasses:
They exist, motors that rotate a stand at the speed of earth's rotation through gear reduction, then reset at the end of the day to an initial starting point, to start all over again. No idea how expensive or not they are.

I just received parts, though, to make a similar affair to hold a camera for night sky photography to minimize/eliminate star streaks in long exposures. Gets me thinking of what could be done for more weight and solar panels.

Reactions: Corey

Corey

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Auburn, WA.
Member #

They exist, motors that rotate a stand at the speed of earth's rotation through gear reduction, then reset at the end of the day to an initial starting point, to start all over again. No idea how expensive or not they are.

I just received parts, though, to make a similar affair to hold a camera for night sky photography to minimize/eliminate star streaks in long exposures. Gets me thinking of what could be done for more weight and solar panels.
Sounds like a great project to work on.

Reactions: Nickzero

KSTrekker

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Lenexa, KS
Member #

View attachment 46673

Here's the power center, from left to right: big hole at lower left is for cords to inverter, etc (has a cover on the outside), solar input (black wire leading to the outside wall), 110 in and out (gray box), protected switches for lights and pump etc, dual Odyssey batteries stacked on brackets one over the other, Blue Sea fuse box. Backed up to the wall at the bottom of the photo is the Noco Gen 2 Battery Charger (for controlling shore power input if hooked up to 110, which I've never had to do yet!). Out of view on the lid is a Zamp Charge Controller for solar input that provides a lot more info than the controller on the folding set, which we bypassed upon purchase.

Road, I think you may have already answered my question, but I was wondering about if your panel has it's own charge controller. From what I'm reading here, you bypassed the panel's controller and used the Zamp on your XV-2. I figured I would ask you , since we've got similar setups. I'm on the fence of what panel to buy, and I see that Renogy sells the briefcase 100 watt both with and without the controller. My gut tells me to save a few bucks and get the panel without the CC. However, this limits me if I ever want to use the panel apart from my XV-2 setup.

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Road, I think you may have already answered my question, but I was wondering about if your panel has it's own charge controller. From what I'm reading here, you bypassed the panel's controller and used the Zamp on your XV-2. I figured I would ask you , since we've got similar setups. I'm on the fence of what panel to buy, and I see that Renogy sells the briefcase 100 watt both with and without the controller. My gut tells me to save a few bucks and get the panel without the CC. However, this limits me if I ever want to use the panel apart from my XV-2 setup.
Yes, the folding panel I have from Overland Solar has a 10amp PWM controller built in. It was bypassed it so I could go directly into the Zamp controller on my XV-2, which is a 15 amp PWM, though is more feature rich than the one on the folding panel. It is nice to have the controller on the folding panel, though, if you might ever want to hook it up elsewhere.

Looks like that controller ends up only being about a $70 diff, if you look at the overland solar fixed panels with and without controller. I assume the extra cost in folding panels is more about the convenience in folding hardware, the nice case, portability and, of course, demand. Folding panels are very popular.

The advantage of a panel made up of Sunpower Maxeon cells over others is simply that they are the most efficient solar cells out there at present, so will take less to get more. I am continually surprised at how much more efficient my panels are, even if partly shaded. If I was doing it again, I'd forego the folding panel and go for a 100w straight panel meant for fixed applications, with no controller, or even two panels. Considerably less cost. I'm actually going to add two straight 100w panels to my setup because I have the room to keep them and I'll then be able to have separate systems for trailer and van, should I set up base camp then wander for a day or two in the van. I'll fashion my own lockable carrier for general transport, probably under the rack and maybe a simple folding hinge to move them around when camping.

So--personally speaking based only on my experience--I'd get an overlandsolar straight panel over renogy and would get no controller, as you already have one in your trailer. But, if you think you might use your panels away from the XV-2 and its Zamp controller, getting a controller is handy.

If you think you'll only use your panel intermittently or just to top things off now and then, the renogy may be plenty sufficient. If you plan on setting up for longer periods and in a variety of situations and depend on the panel(s) to power everything, my personal experience, extensive research, and talking to a great number of users is that panels made with Sunpower Maxeon cells are well worth checking out.

I see on Amazon there is a folding 100w panel which uses Sunpower for $219.00. Have no personal experience with it, though it has about a 70% positive rating with 4-5 stars. For only $10 more, you can get a 100w straight panel from overland solar that measures 41.5 x 22.

As for getting a PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) or MPPT (Maximum Power Point Tracking) controller, here's a great Victron article from 2014 that explains the differences: Which Solar Charge Controller, PWM or MPPT. There may be more current info out there as to whether MPPT controllers being useful in small setups.

Always fun to write about and explore options with self-sufficient power solutions.

Road

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
We move campsites every day so it was important to have a small footprint and the ability to store the solar panel in the RTT. Really only use it if we find a site to stop for a couple days. Otherwise the battery powers the fridge and other items just fine.
I ended up with a Mohoo panel with a Victron Energy SmartSolar charge controller.

Solar Panel (2).jpg

KSTrekker

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Lenexa, KS
Member #

I actually have about 24" of rack space in front of my RTT where a permanently mounted panel would be perfect. I may end up getting one of these Overlandsolar panels:

https://overlandsolar.com/collections/off-grid-cabin-solar/products/100-watt-sunpower-panel-osm100

The ability to charge my batteries while traveling would be a huge benefit. Whenever possible, I will try to orient my trailer facing South. That should give me the best sun from Spring to Fall. One thing I liked about the briefcase panels was the ability to angle them towards the sun. Is this really necessary, or is a flat mount facing South efficient enough? So far, the power needs of my basecamp are fairly minimal; just a 50l ARB fridge, a 12v box fan, and LED lighting.

By the way, what type of connectors do the Overlandsolar panels use? I need SAE connectors for the XV-2.

Last edited: