LED Vs Halogen For Driving Lights

• HTML tutorial

Kevtd

Rank 0

Contributor II

What are peoples thoughts on LED spots for off road lights? I am a big beliver in having a second light source on any rig since not only for making driving at night better but safety as well. (I have had to drive out on one single fog light once, luckily the Pajero had 7" "fogs")
I have always seen LED as area/wide light and halogen as distance light but since im starting to see more and more LED spots on rigs and am planning out my lighting currently I thought I would ask.

Does anyone use LED for spot/driving lighting? Does it hold up against the old school stuff?
Personaly i am torn right now between classic Hella 500's or trying an LED solution.

7mmremmag

Rank III

Advocate II

Youngsville, PA, USA
Member #

I may be wrong as I am not an expert, but the spot versus flood thing seems to be a function of the way the housing inside is designed to reflect, not the actual bulb or bulb type.

That said, I prefer LED's, mostly for longevity.

Kevtd

Rank 0

Contributor II

I may be wrong as I am not an expert, but the spot versus flood thing seems to be a function of the way the housing inside is designed to reflect, not the actual bulb or bulb type.

That said, I prefer LED's, mostly for longevity.
As far as I know you are correct, however I have always found LED lights to have very little reach comparably speaking. But I would rather use one for the durability, life span and lower power draw. Been looking at these.

The problem is that i know the hellas are good and I wont have to rig up a cover (they come with one)

Renegade

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Texas
Does anyone use LED for spot/driving lighting? Does it hold up against the old school stuff?
Personaly i am torn right now between classic Hella 500's or trying an LED solution.
I use LED for everything, including turn signals. There is no filament, so the lifetime is off the chart. Reach is a function of the power and reflector. My Golight LED SPOTs can reach miles.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
LED headlights (hi & lo) and fogs. Plenty of reach in stock housings. The LED low's reach farther than the halogen hi's ever did. I'll never drive fast enough to outrun my hi beams, so aux lights will be KC Daylighter floods.

Reactions: GroundedLP

Matoolie

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Virginia
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Allen
Member #

No filament on HIDs also. And provide better long distance light than halogen or LED. LED bars can be better than halogens. Why most of our friends in Australia run HIDs for throw, distance, etc.

Reactions: GroundedLP