Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Once the trip gets closer I will send out an email (via this site) with all the pertinent info for the trip.

ProtonDecay

Rank V

Influencer II

In my mind I am always at a remote high-elevation lake surrounded by snowcapped peaks.
First Name
Derek
Last Name
Riehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6NUI
Looks like fun! Couple questions - you mind if we drag along our HQ15? We've camped at Leavitt several times, but have yet to attempt with our trailer; I think we can make it, but may need to get the winch out; we might head up a day earlier so we don't hold things up. For the leg to Bodie, will it be OK to drop our trailer at 395/182 and then come back up the 5 miles or so from 270/395 at the end and then catch up with you guys?

Reactions: PapaDave

PapaDave

Local Expert Northern ID and North East WA

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Looks like fun! Couple questions - you mind if we drag along our HQ15? We've camped at Leavitt several times, but have yet to attempt with our trailer; I think we can make it, but may need to get the winch out; we might head up a day earlier so we don't hold things up. For the leg to Bodie, will it be OK to drop our trailer at 395/182 and then come back up the 5 miles or so from 270/395 at the end and then catch up with you guys?
That should be fine. The trailer to Bodie is good but it’s too tight of a road to get into Aurora the route we are going.

Reactions: ProtonDecay

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Great trip, with some awesome destinations. Family and I did it last last year, also hit Kavanaugh ridge which is right off 395. Would love to join but finally getting my new knee from the VA next week......
Will say I was surprised at how interesting the cemetery in Aurora was....
Jim

Speric

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Speric
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCT
Not sure it's in the cards for me schedule wise but I would love to go back. A couple years ago I used your .gpx file for the Bodie and Copper Mountain route, but added Aurora to the trip. Super fun except when maybe the "night crawler" or "skin walker" or whatever it was came to visit that first night. :fearscream:

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
For future reference, would my Turtleback Expedition make it on the road to Aurora? 13' nose-to-tail with a 360º hitch.
Yes the road along the canyon is easy and then after the right hand turn there are some narrow sections but then it’s easy to the cemetery

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Yes the road along the canyon is easy and then after the right hand turn there are some narrow sections but then it’s easy to the cemetery
I just read an article that due to active mining in the area, the mining company has significantly improved the road. 2WD can make it to Aurora.
The first time I tried to go to Aurora in 2019 the road was completely washed out, now it’s been remade and yes it’s pretty easy. The turn up towards the mountain has some twisty parts with trees but not bad at all. A Turtleback would be fine but larger trailers might get pinstriped pretty hard.

ProtonDecay

Rank V

Influencer II

In my mind I am always at a remote high-elevation lake surrounded by snowcapped peaks.
First Name
Derek
Last Name
Riehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6NUI
Looks like fun! Couple questions - you mind if we drag along our HQ15? We\'ve camped at Leavitt several times, but have yet to attempt with our trailer; I think we can make it, but may need to get the winch out; we might head up a day earlier so we don\'t hold things up. For the leg to Bodie, will it be OK to drop our trailer at 395/182 and then come back up the 5 miles or so from 270/395 at the end and then catch up with you guys?
That should be fine. The trailer to Bodie is good but it’s too tight of a road to get into Aurora the route we are going.
Getting excited studying the .gpx you kindly provided. We've been through Del Monte Canyon, but not over to Aurora, so eager to make that happen. Trying to find an optimal route for the trailer - do you have a particular section in mind that would be too tight? We might be able to go around that via 754 or similar. Worst case, we'd bail out on Saturday night and head up to Dunderberg.

Reactions: PapaDave

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Getting excited studying the .gpx you kindly provided. We've been through Del Monte Canyon, but not over to Aurora, so eager to make that happen. Trying to find an optimal route for the trailer - do you have a particular section in mind that would be too tight? We might be able to go around that via 754 or similar. Worst case, we'd bail out on Saturday night and head up to Dunderberg.
This right hand turn has some narrow spots after it, but you could go up more and cut back later

BDA28316-9F37-43D8-821B-7203EF41733E.jpg

Reactions: ProtonDecay