UglyViking

Rank I

Enthusiast I

North East, USA
First Name
Noo
Last Name
Thanks
Hey all, new member here and excited to join the community. This post will be a little long so apologies.

TL;DR - I'm looking to downsize from lifted full size truck to mid size (give or take) SUV. Why did people make the choices they did and what did they wish they did differently?

First a little background to help anchor the conversation. I currently drive a 2016 GMC Sierra 1500, 6" lift and 35" tires. I paid good money to get "top of the line" parts and have it pro installed for warranty concerns (have installed a few lift kits in the past without issue). Because of the style lift (BDS uses a knuckle lift on these trucks) the track spacing is pushed out an extra 1.5" on each side. While I absolutely love this truck it's becoming less and less fun to drive. I have to do a lot of planning ahead to see where we will be, if we are going somewhere downtown, etc. just because of the sheer size of the thing. The ride is a little stiff but it's not bad.

So I'm looking very seriously at downsizing to something SUV based with the intent of using it for a daily driver plus overlanding rig in the new england area to start. My truck is seriously limited on trails in new england so thats another reason. Here is my wants list:
  • Nice turning radius, I don't expect a smart car but the wrangler is what I consider amazing so that is a good bar
  • Nice ride. I expect the same goes for most but I spend a good 90% of my time on paved roads so while I want offroad capability I don't want to drive a tractor every day
  • Reliable. I know all Toyotas will check the box and I'm confident enough in modern Jeeps and Chevys for this too. (I know there are some issues with both brands but lest we not forget Toyota had entire frames rusting out, don't want to get into a brand war here)
  • Prob SUV based but open to small truck. (last time I did a diamondback cover, I love the thing, but next time I'll do a cap)
  • Looking to do some light trails and "overland" runs in new england area, maybe beyond if the mrs and I get into it more
  • Outside of that we will pack it up for camping trips and hiking trips to secure storage is nice.
  • Would like a decent amount of aftermarket support. I like to mod stuff, for functionality but sometimes just for looks. I'd like options outside of everything custom.
Any my current list of vehicles:
  • 4runner (new)
  • Taco (new)
  • Chevy Colorado (new, prob sr1/2, need to test drive)
  • Jeep Wrangler (new)
  • Jeep Gladiator (new)
  • Land Cruiser 100 series (used)
  • Land Cruiser 80 series (used)
So far I've only driven the 4runner and wrangler (we own a JL my wife daily drives) but its hard to tell how well you'll like it long term from a test drive. I love the idea of driving an 80 series, solid front axels, basically bomb proof. Even the 100 series. Both of which I can get for under 20k leaving me with a lot of left over money for mods. With buying new I get to pick exacts, which is nice, and I get the support of aftermarket. (jeep and 4runner are crazy amounts of support) I'm curious if anyone is in a similar situation or has been. Or anyone who daily drives a 80/100 series. I'm just looking for any guidance as I hope to buy and own a long time since the only real reason I'm looking at changing my truck is practicality (size).

Now, since I also asked for what people wish they did differently I'll share mine. Firstly, I wish I went midsize. I was looking and price drove me to full size. I thought "I can get a big V8 truck for less than this tiny truck with a v6, the choice is obvious!" Well, I was wrong. I love the sound of my V8, even the MPG doesn't bother me. But the size is just too much for New England I feel. It limits my trail options, makes visiting any parking garage a butt puckering time and is just generally for showing off more than anything practical. If I did do a full size truck again I wish I went with a brand of lift that was not knuckle and went like 2-4" max. 6" is unnecessarily large for this truck and the knuckle lift makes every turn a multi-point turn.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I drive my 80 all the time. I trade off between that and my Tacoma. I have remote camped with most everything over the years. I love my 80. The good things are too many to list, the bad are few. If your concerned with fuel mileage, you don't want anything big. I'm now sporting a Dobinson 3" lift and their shocks. That's the 3rd suspension in the last 3 years and hands down the best for ride and performance. The picture by my name is the OME 2". In my opinion, horrible. A couple of my buddies love their 100's. I don't really like the layout and I can sleep in mine if I want.

Remember, their about 25 years old. I spent 6k for mine and have probably that easily into mods and base lining it. That also includes a fresh motor. Body parts are getting scarce so I replaced all my weather stripping and moldings while I could. All of the work and all of the fabrication done has been me. If you need to have someone do this work double the price.

My son has a new 4runner and the guys I camp with have a mix of other things.

let me know if you want specific's.

UglyViking

Rank I

Enthusiast I

North East, USA
First Name
Noo
Last Name
Thanks
I drive my 80 all the time. I trade off between that and my Tacoma. I have remote camped with most everything over the years. I love my 80. The good things are too many to list, the bad are few. If your concerned with fuel mileage, you don't want anything big. I'm now sporting a Dobinson 3" lift and their shocks. That's the 3rd suspension in the last 3 years and hands down the best for ride and performance. The picture by my name is the OME 2". In my opinion, horrible. A couple of my buddies love their 100's. I don't really like the layout and I can sleep in mine if I want.

Remember, their about 25 years old. I spent 6k for mine and have probably that easily into mods and base lining it. That also includes a fresh motor. Body parts are getting scarce so I replaced all my weather stripping and moldings while I could. All of the work and all of the fabrication done has been me. If you need to have someone do this work double the price.

My son has a new 4runner and the guys I camp with have a mix of other things.

let me know if you want specific's.
Yeah, lets chat more via PM. I'd love to know a little more about your rig compared to the 4runners and such. I hadn't spend much time thinking about finding parts, thats a bit of a concern honestly. I wanted something that would be relatively easy to maintain and replace worn parts on.