Pomona, CA, USA
First Name
Erich
Last Name
Wise
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS call sign: WRFL229
I know for a fact people are aware of this but for the love of the gods can we actually fix this. It makes using the app on an iPad unusable. There seems to have been multiple attempts to fix this with some sort of working and others causing new issues. I dont know what or why it is so difficult, but perhaps it was something added into the root core program in the very beginning and no-one wants to completely rewrite the program or something but it needs to be addressed. Apologies if this seems aggressive and its not my intention to offend. I really want to use the app but I just can't, and it has been going on for literally years now. (time flies no?)

Reactions: Ubiety and Shahn

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
I know for a fact people are aware of this but for the love of the gods can we actually fix this. It makes using the app on an iPad unusable. There seems to have been multiple attempts to fix this with some sort of working and others causing new issues. I dont know what or why it is so difficult, but perhaps it was something added into the root core program in the very beginning and no-one wants to completely rewrite the program or something but it needs to be addressed. Apologies if this seems aggressive and its not my intention to offend. I really want to use the app but I just can't, and it has been going on for literally years now. (time flies no?)
No offense taken!

I use the app daily including landscape mode, so lets get to the bottom of this. You are going to hate me for asking this but, do you have your screen rotation locked from the OS? Have to ask. Let me know what iPad and version of the software you are using. You can find that at the bottom of the slideout menu:

1647646267353.png

kunstmilch

Rank V

Advocate II

Pomona, CA, USA
First Name
Erich
Last Name
Wise
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Michael,

Thanks for the time, no hate, all the things, turn it off and on again, check for lock rotation, check if lock rotation is in this app only, check on my phone, etc...

The problem is persistent on both my phone and the iPad. It even opens in portrait, will rotate to landscape and the at some point (different points depending when, lately its with any attempt to post in the forum)

I am typing this on my computer as the apps are driving me nuts. here is what Im using and the versions...

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019)
macOS Monterey Version 12.3

iPhone 12 Pro Max
iOS 15.4

iPad Air (3rd Generation)
iOS 15.4

Version of OB1:
11.7.0.0311 (I see I need to update) - iPhone and iPad both

Let me update them both and turn everything off and on again and see what happens.

kunstmilch

Rank V

Advocate II

Pomona, CA, USA
First Name
Erich
Last Name
Wise
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
OK, so I know its a pain in the ass to figure this out over a forum, but here is the last time it did it. (I signed out of everything turned it all off and on again and signed in) It started up in landscape this time, so good...signed in, setting for dark was turned off for some reason went in and reset it, so far so good...looked at the forums and saw your (Michael) post about nit picks and upvotes, hit "like" or thumbs up or whatever... then it rotated out of landscape and stuck me back in portrait. the iPad was sitting on my desk and the physical orientation had not changed. This is in line with my prior experiences.

Reactions: Michael

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
OK, so I know its a pain in the ass to figure this out over a forum, but here is the last time it did it. (I signed out of everything turned it all off and on again and signed in) It started up in landscape this time, so good...signed in, setting for dark was turned off for some reason went in and reset it, so far so good...looked at the forums and saw your (Michael) post about nit picks and upvotes, hit "like" or thumbs up or whatever... then it rotated out of landscape and stuck me back in portrait. the iPad was sitting on my desk and the physical orientation had not changed. This is in line with my prior experiences.
OK, this is good info. I will try to reproduce this on my end. If we can reproduce, we can fix. Thank you for taking the time, it’s much appreciated!

M

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Reproduced! Thank you! We’ll get this fixed. We do a release almost every week, so it should be soon.

M

Reactions: El-Dracho

kunstmilch

Rank V

Advocate II

Pomona, CA, USA
First Name
Erich
Last Name
Wise
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Just FYI, the issue persists. I dont want to nag and I dont know how long it will take to fix. But incase it had been dealt with Im simply informing poor @Michael that it is still happening.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Inconsistent UI with app "showcase" when in landscape mode. iPhone 12 Pro in landscape mode (new install after deleting app).

A "showcase" (for lack of better terms) is presented that showcases app features for a "new user" when the app is first started. One must navigate to the third and final page to dismiss the "showcase" using the "Lets Go" button (in landscape mode). If, on the first page of the "showcase", the phone is rotated to portrait mode there is a "Continue" button that becomes visible; all other UI is disabled during "showcase" mode.

Minor nit but it confused me so I reported it. There should be a way to disable the "showcase", in either orientation, and UI should not be hidden. The "showcase" does not scroll to allow the user to get to the continue button. Not a big deal on the iPhone which is typically handheld but would be worse on a hard mounted iPad in landscape mode (if the issue does indeed exist there).

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
The above reported issue is fixed for me (like button makes display go to portrait)

New nits
- Navigate to "User" icon (right bottom) and poke "save changes" on "edit profile" page. Screen momentarily rotates to portrait and then back to landscape.
- On the map page, in landscape, poke the yellow plus button to add new mark, screen permanently rotates to portrait. This also occurs with some of the map controls on upper right of screen. May be due to popping "Overland Upgrade!" page which only seems to handle portrait.
- Navigate to Rally Point page and poke "Create" button. Screen displays (red) "Please be advised" popup that forces portrait mode. Seems like the popups are not landscape aware, etc.
- New Thread popup also forces portrait

Stopping here on iPhone, will review iPad a bit later. So glad to see landscape mode getting attention! Thank you!

Update, the iPad seems to handle things better, do not see these issue there.

Last edited:

kunstmilch

Rank V

Advocate II

Pomona, CA, USA
First Name
Erich
Last Name
Wise
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
New app update, see if it is fixed

Jim
So far so good...not only does it stay in landscape, the location in the forum is saved so after I go into a conversation when I exit I dont have to start over from the beginning.

This is a pain when looking through events, that's the next thing I'm checking. It reloads from the beginning in the events page...maybe that can go on the list for next round.