Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I cleaned my mildly corroded battery terminals yesterday. Batter is good and no starting problems what so ever. before I disconnected the cables. Cleaned everything thoroughly , let it sit overnight. Today it wont crank over. It acts like something is keeping power from the starter. Did I trip a sensor or something, this is ridiculous.

RyuKyuRvr

Rank V

Enthusiast III

First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Makinson
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
I cleaned my mildly corroded battery terminals yesterday. Batter is good and no starting problems what so ever. before I disconnected the cables. Cleaned everything thoroughly , let it sit overnight. Today it wont crank over. It acts like something is keeping power from the starter. Did I trip a sensor or something, this is ridiculous.
Which discovery, which year/engine management, and are you sure there is power in the battery Incase you left the switch in position 1 or 2

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Which discovery, which year/engine management, and are you sure there is power in the battery Incase you left the switch in position 1 or 2
It is a 2000 LRD2 with 4.0 ci engine. I went back out this evening and removed the cables again, negative first as I was told to do. (positive first on when I reconnect) The manual said to charge the battery with the cables off the car, I am doing so. When I hooked up the charger it showed the charger was charging at 6 amps and I am assuming that the battery was very low. I have no idea why because yesterday before I cleaned the terminals it had a full charge. I could have left the key on in position 1 overnight but I don't think I left the key in the ignition. Anyway I have the trickle charger going now for about 2 hours and it is reading 5 amps. I will leave it on all night and check it in the morning to see if it goes up to at least 3 more amps. I have never had this kind of a problem before but then again I have never had a LDR2 either. The battery was new on 4/2018, If any of this helps you let me know, I fear I did something wrong somewhere that drained the battery somehow or something is blocking out the starter from turning the engine, possibly a sensor ??? I'll know in the morning. Thanks for checking in on me..

RyuKyuRvr

Rank V

Enthusiast III

First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Makinson
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
It is a 2000 LRD2 with 4.0 ci engine. I went back out this evening and removed the cables again, negative first as I was told to do. (positive first on when I reconnect) The manual said to charge the battery with the cables off the car, I am doing so. When I hooked up the charger it showed the charger was charging at 6 amps and I am assuming that the battery was very low. I have no idea why because yesterday before I cleaned the terminals it had a full charge. I could have left the key on in position 1 overnight but I don't think I left the key in the ignition. Anyway I have the trickle charger going now for about 2 hours and it is reading 5 amps. I will leave it on all night and check it in the morning to see if it goes up to at least 3 more amps. I have never had this kind of a problem before but then again I have never had a LDR2 either. The battery was new on 4/2018, If any of this helps you let me know, I fear I did something wrong somewhere that drained the battery somehow or something is blocking out the starter from turning the engine, possibly a sensor ??? I'll know in the morning. Thanks for checking in on me..
I own several Discovery’s, including a 02D2, and it is probably the most problematic in terms of keeping charged if I accidentally leave the key in position one within 4 hours don’t have enough juice to start it, that being said, make sure your engine/body grounds are solid and not too corroded, and it is typical for a charger to start at 6amp and work down to near Zero, by tomorrow morning you should be at full charge. Assuming your battery is good there should be no reason your D2 shouldn’t start.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I own several Discovery’s, including a 02D2, and it is probably the most problematic in terms of keeping charged if I accidentally leave the key in position one within 4 hours don’t have enough juice to start it, that being said, make sure your engine/body grounds are solid and not too corroded, and it is typical for a charger to start at 6amp and work down to near Zero, by tomorrow morning you should be at full charge. Assuming your battery is good there should be no reason your D2 shouldn’t start.
I'll keep my fingers crossed and let you know the outcome.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Well guys it looks like my battery charger has brought the battery up too 2 amps this morning. I still have no idea as to why the battery discharged to zero amps from before I cleaned the battery cables to after I cleaned the battery cables. RyuKyuRvr may have it right about leaving my key in the ignition all night in the # 1 position, I just don't remember doing something like that as I did not try to start the LRD2 the other evening after I cleaned the terminals. I"m going to leave the charger on for another 4-5 hours to see if it moves up closer too Zero amp charge. Then I will see if it starts or explodes.