Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Ive been looking at buying some land in colorado, i dont have any specific area of interest.

My question to any of yall that own land in colorado is why the land so cheap? Seems without any house just a 40 acre lot will run about 1k per acre on average.

Is the property tax outrageous there?

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
Location, location, location. You can buy land in the San Luis Valley for a couple of hundred an acre but it is in the middle of nowhere. A residential lot (11,000 sq ft) where I live will run you $150k and many areas are three times that much.

Property taxes are mainly set by the county, so it varies widely.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

The middle of nowhere is what im aiming for no houses anywhere near. This land will be mainly for livestock and somewhere private in the mountains to camp whenever i want. Just seems there is some sort of catch at the prices offered, here in tx land aint cheap even for flood land.

It just aint normal for me to be able to buy land in cash if i wanted to

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Be sure to find out what it takes to get water and any other services you might want. Lots of mountain properties have cisterns and require trucking in water, for example.

jeepers29

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Georgetown, TX, USA
Member #

AS Neal said, water is an issue in Colorado. Years ago , when we first started looking for land there, we asked a realtor the same question and the answer we got was that the cheap land had no water access. Other utilities would be expensive as well. We ended up with a house in a small mountain town with lots to do around it. Happy hunting.

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
Remember, by default you don't own the water under the ground you buy, or in Colorado, even the water that falls on your roof is not yours.