Kokopelli Trail - 3 Day Ride - 04/27/2018

• HTML tutorial

Anchor Mtn

US Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fruita, Colorado
Member #

We are going to be hosting a trip over the Kokopelli Trail from Fruita, Colorado to Moab, Utah. 3 Days on the trail and 2 nights in the Utah Desert and La Sal Mountain High Country. This will be open to all vehicles with low range 4wd as there will be some moderately difficult terrain. Trailers will be welcome on this route(obviously).

It looks like we are currently all booked up for this trip!! If you would like to be put on a waiting list in case someone drops out, let me know and Ill post it up here.
Right now we have:
1. @VCeXpedition
2. @BJP
3. @MarlinJames
4. @Snagglet
5. @robrtsmtn
6. @Paul Bearce
7. @Type A Outdoors
8. @Rynus311
9. @Martín

View Rally Point
Last edited:

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Looking forward to this trip, I'm gonna commit and put it on the calendar!
Hoping I have the nerve to take the trailer on Rose Garden Hill by then...
Dan.

Reactions: Anchor Mtn

Anchor Mtn

Launch Member

Influencer II

Fruita, Colorado
Member #

Looking forward to this trip, I'm gonna commit and put it on the calendar!
Hoping I have the nerve to take the trailer on Rose Garden Hill by then...
Dan.
Awesome!

We will have the option to bypass Rose Garden Hill. If you wanted to drop your trailer at the bottom of RGH and run up and down it for fun.

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Awesome!

We will have the option to bypass Rose Garden Hill. If you wanted to drop your trailer at the bottom of RGH and run up and down it for fun.

Would the plan be to go up or down RGH?

If it's down, I've seen somewhere a write-up where a nut-job in an '80 series took a trailer down and survived!

Anchor Mtn

Launch Member

Influencer II

Fruita, Colorado
Member #

Would the plan be to go up or down RGH?

If it's down, I've seen somewhere a write-up where a nut-job in an '80 series took a trailer down and survived!
Going east to west on the Koko has you going down Rose Garden. Its definitely a difficult section and will not appeal to everyone. Bypassing RGH and going up Onion Creek is honestly a more enjoyable and more beautiful trip but we will have the option to do both for people that want to run the "Complete Kokopelli".

"You can fall down anything, its getting up thats a challenge"

Reactions: VCeXpedition

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
I just connected the dots, this event is the weekend before the Annual Rising Sun 4x4 Clubs "Cruise Moab"!

I might have to extend a little vacay and attend my first C/M event! Good timing.

Anchor Mtn

Launch Member

Influencer II

Fruita, Colorado
Member #

My question in the interest of joining is, can a leveled Ford Expedition EL 4x4 make this run? I do have the front, center, and rear locking diffs in its defense.
Yes, an Expedition can make the trip. Depending on experience/comfort you may want to take the optional bypass to Rose Garden Hill. Good offroad tires are a must.

Sorry it took me a few days to get back to you, I didnt realize that posts here didnt reflect the posts in the thread:
https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/kokopelli-trail-3-day-ride-04-27-2018.11296/

MarlinJames

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Yuma, AZ, USA
First Name
Marlin
Last Name
Lawrenson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K17WRA
I'm in. I've been looking fwd to do this trail for awhile now. I'll be coming from Northern Utah. My brother is from the Grand Junction area and he will be my co-pilot. 2012 JKU

robrtsmtn

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Aztec, NM
Member #

Love the idea. If I can get my rock sliders on before then, I'll be there. Yeah, longer story than worth telling. My youngest owns Venture Photography, so will try to round him up for pictures, and do any spotting I need done.

Anchor Mtn

Launch Member

Influencer II

Fruita, Colorado
Member #

Love the idea. If I can get my rock sliders on before then, I'll be there. Yeah, longer story than worth telling. My youngest owns Venture Photography, so will try to round him up for pictures, and do any spotting I need done.
We would love to have you. If you skip rose garden hill you won't need sliders. The majority of the trip is pretty tame trails with amazing scenery.

Sent from my SM-G930V using OB Talk mobile app

Last edited:
Reactions: robrtsmtn

Snagglet

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Murray, Utah
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Turner
Member #

The wife and I are looking forward to our first group overland trip. Is there a typical communication structure we should look to adhere to? CB, HAM, flares, smoke signals, sign language, morse code?

Anchor Mtn

Launch Member

Influencer II

Fruita, Colorado
Member #

The wife and I are looking forward to our first group overland trip. Is there a typical communication structure we should look to adhere to? CB, HAM, flares, smoke signals, sign language, morse code?
There won't be a dedicated coms channel/system on this trip. I'm sure we will have people that prefer everything from HAM to mutes (no coms). General trail etiquette will apply, don't lose sight of the rig behind you.
The Kokopelli Trail will have several obstacles, tight spots, and overlooks everyday of the 140+ mile trip.

I just got back from pre-running the Fruita to Westwater section of the trail and it is going to be a lot of fun with a group!

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
A few pics from this morning on the Koko.

Haha, from the first pic, I can just about point to the rock that reached out and grabbed my right front wheel and put a dent in it. Jerked the steering wheel right out of my hands! SURPRISE!! Wake up DAN! Good times!

SoCOTaco

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Monument, CO
Member #

I'm going to have to put this trip on my "maybe" list- I've wanted to run it for forever and it's not far away, just comes down to whether or not I can swing the time off with all of the other traveling I have that month.

FireMedicPQ1

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5PCB
We did the Kokopelli a few years back. We had an amazing trip and it was our first experience in overlanding. Since that time, I have been hooked. We took a side-trip to Top of the World - which provided some of the most beautiful vistas above Moab. I am considering joining y'all on this adventure. I've attached a photo for your amusement - we got a few rigs stuck in the mud of a tiny creek - I tried to bypass them to help winch them out...and found my rig (an FJC at the time) in this predicament.
[/URL][/IMG]

cv66john

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

1027 Carriage Lane, Casper, Wyoming
First Name
John
Last Name
Giantonio
Member #

We are going to be hosting a trip over the Kokopelli Trail from Fruita, Colorado to Moab, Utah. 3 Days on the trail and 2 nights in the Utah Desert and La Sal Mountain HIgh Country. This will be open to all vehicles with low range 4wd as there will be some moderately difficult terrain. Trailers will be welcome on this route(obviously).

Hmmmm..... this looks real interesting. I was thinking of this as a 3 - 5 day run for vacation time. Is April early? I was speaking with a friend who runs an adventure outfit about this run, but our discussion was for later in the summer.