Knox Box

• HTML tutorial

MtnManAlex

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Picked up this trailer to solve some of the storage problems on my 2 door JK. It's a '46-'47 Knox truck bed. They were built as an option for International pick-ups after WWII and are known for the waffle steel in the bed.

Body/Trim:
My first steps will be to take it apart and check the condition of the frame, axle, and suspension components. Next, I'll be working out as many dents as I can. I am not in love with the fenders. I will need to clean them up and maybe trim them for clearance. Other options are swapping them for JK rear fenders so it matches my Jeep, or fabricating new fenders.

Paint:
Preserving the patina isn't important for me. I will sand it down and do the exterior in Rescue Green Metallic and the wheels in metallic black to match my Jeep. I have not decided if I will do the interior waffle steel in black or green.

Accessories:
On the tongue I'll be mounting two 5 gallon jerry cans and a wire basket for firewood. That might also be a good place for water storage (two 5 gallon jugs). I plan to mount a small propane tank behind one of the fenders in the rear. I will be building a lockable lid that mounts in the holes where the classic wood bed rails would have mounted. The lid will also have some sort of low profile rack rails for carrying kayaks (I'm not an RTT person so no need for that).

Tires:
I'll probably match the tires on my Jeep (Big Foot A/Ts) but in a smaller size. I'd like to stuff 315s on there, but all of the modifications it would require for that make it less of a priority. Since I'll have to have a tire size different from the jeep, I'll have to mount a spare somewhere. I'll probably put it on the lid somewhere or re-arrange my plans for the tongue to make it fit.

Let me know if you all have any advice or suggestions! I'll slowly update this thread as the project progresses.
IMG_3043.JPG

IMG_3045.JPGIMG_3046.JPG

Last edited:

Steve in Roanoke VA

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Roanoke VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Janosko
Member #

Here's an idea for the interior - instead of black, go with orange or a medium grey. Before I converted the back of my truck to platform, things were easily overlooked, (sometimes hard to find, occasionally not found until daylight!) because they just got lost on the completely black bedliner, especially in low light/nighttime no light. Got to thinking about this after seeing some tool bags with the orange interior. Looks like a great project!

MtnManAlex

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Here's an idea for the interior - instead of black, go with orange or a medium grey. Before I converted the back of my truck to platform, things were easily overlooked, (sometimes hard to find, occasionally not found until daylight!) because they just got lost on the completely black bedliner, especially in low light/nighttime no light. Got to thinking about this after seeing some tool bags with the orange interior. Looks like a great project!
That makes good practical sense, and the orange/green combo will match my Jeep even better. Thanks for the idea!

IMG_2734.PNG

Last edited:

MtnManAlex

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

That thing looks heavy...
For fenders have you thought about flat top trailer fenders? Give you a place to sit/mount things and offer more clearance. It might also help it look more traileresque and not so much chopped up truck.
I’m sure it’s heavier than a modern trailer the same size. I figure I’ll pack light and be aware of the weight when choosing routes. Gotta test its limits still.

The felt fender idea is awesome. I’m leaning towards trying to put 315s on it so I’ll need the clearance, and I always need more useful surfaces.

Reactions: Prerunner1982

MtnManAlex

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

About the tires, why don’t you put the same size as the Jeep. That way, whatever spare you have for the Jeep, you also have one for the trailer. Just a thought.
Ideally that’s what I want to do. I need to figure out the bolt pattern on the trailer axle then find a spacer/adapter that will make it compatible with the Jeep’s spare and give the 315s enough room. Maybe I could swap in a take-off Jeep axle... I’ll have to look into what’s involved in that.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Picked up this trailer to solve some of the storage problems on my 2 door JK. It's a '46-'47 Knox truck bed. They were built as an option for International pick-ups after WWII and are known for the waffle steel in the bed.

Body/Trim:
My first steps will be to take it apart and check the condition of the frame, axle, and suspension components. Next, I'll be working out as many dents as I can. I am not in love with the fenders. I will need to clean them up and maybe trim them for clearance. Other options are swapping them for JK rear fenders so it matches my Jeep, or fabricating new fenders.

Paint:
Preserving the patina isn't important for me. I will sand it down and do the exterior in Rescue Green Metallic and the wheels in metallic black to match my Jeep. I have not decided if I will do the interior waffle steel in black or green.

Accessories:
On the tongue I'll be mounting two 5 gallon jerry cans and a wire basket for firewood. That might also be a good place for water storage (two 5 gallon jugs). I plan to mount a small propane tank behind one of the fenders in the rear. I will be building a lockable lid that mounts in the holes where the classic wood bed rails would have mounted. The lid will also have some sort of low profile rack rails for carrying kayaks (I'm not an RTT person so no need for that).

Tires:
I'll probably match the tires on my Jeep (Big Foot A/Ts) but in a smaller size. I'd like to stuff 315s on there, but all of the modifications it would require for that make it less of a priority. Since I'll have to have a tire size different from the jeep, I'll have to mount a spare somewhere. I'll probably put it on the lid somewhere or re-arrange my plans for the tongue to make it fit.

Let me know if you all have any advice or suggestions! I'll slowly update this thread as the project progresses.
View attachment 115006

View attachment 115007View attachment 115008
My dad had one just like it in 1941-48. It was made from the actual rear end of a pickup truck. Even the axle on his was the truck rear end, center diff and all. The frame was the truck frame, cut and formed into a tongue on the front.

He built an A frame tent from 2x4's on top and covered with canvas at night for sleeping when we were on the road painting signs. On the road it carried his sign rebuilding material.
We were poor and motels were out of the question. We lived on the road just like OB people do today only along the highway right of way. Damn good trailer but in those days no one drove more than 40 mph, gas was 12 cents s gallon and wright was nothing to worry about. We always carried 4-5 extra tires with us because you couldn't buy new ones and everyone drove on almost bald tires,
Making it necessary to have a lot of spares.

Have fun with that old girl, she probably has a lot of memories of her own.
Lanlubber

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

For fenders have you thought about flat top trailer fenders? Give you a place to sit/mount things and offer more clearance. It might also help it look more traileresque and not so much chopped up truck.
I agree with @Prerunner1982 , @MtnManAlex , having flat fenders can be extremely handy. I use the flat top on both sides of my trailer everyday when in camp.

Mine extend for and aft on each side, as well, and provides more flat "shelf" or step area. They are heavy gauge aluminum and rugged as hell. I'm always storing stuff on them. I don't mount anything on mine permanently, because I'm always climbing all over them.

I also agree with @Prerunner1982 that the Knox bed looks heavy, in both frame and body. Might be worth taking to a scale to see what she weighs empty, so you know what you're starting with and what you save by swapping out the fenders, etc. Loads can get heavy quick.

Here's mine with a few views of the step fenders in use. The small aluminum table on the tire in the second image is a folding backpacker's table that just happened to straddle the tire nice and snug. I use it to put a TV tray on with my sauté pans and plates, etc. Third image shows the backpacker's table a bit closer, and shows the galley counter that easily attaches to the step fenders (can go either side) by way of two aluminum struts inserted into pockets in the fender. The counter folds in the middle, has a cutout for a plastic tub sink, and stores in the cargo bed.

xv2-litup-nortt-900.jpg

xv2-n-van_6778-900.jpg

galleycrop-8645-900.jpg

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Not nearly as heavy as the army surplus ones !
There is plenty of room for ideas hear to make it a camp trailer, fuel, tires and water hauling platform.

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

It does look a little heavy, but sometimes with something that small heavy might be good as with a light trailer being pulled down the road they may be so light that they bounce around from the littlest bump in the road. It certainty won't break and I don't think it will be so heavy that the Jk won't be able to tow it effectively anywhere he would like to go. I like the uniqueness of something like that. Very nice!

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Not nearly as heavy as the army surplus ones !
There is plenty of room for ideas hear to make it a camp trailer, fuel, tires and water hauling platform.
Actually, it looks heavier in both frame and body than both the military trailers I had of similar size, one of which was WWII era, and one from Vietnam era.

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

It does look a little heavy, but sometimes with something that small heavy might be good as with a light trailer being pulled down the road they may be so light that they bounce around from the littlest bump in the road. It certainty won't break and I don't think it will be so heavy that the Jk won't be able to tow it effectively anywhere he would like to go. I like the uniqueness of something like that. Very nice!
The mistake I think a lot of trailer re-dos make is putting way too heavy of an axle/suspension under a used 1/4 ton military trailer. That'll make it stiff and bounce like crazy, loaded or unloaded.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Actually, it looks heavier in both frame and body than both the military trailers I had of similar size, one of which was WWII era, and one from Vietnam era.
No disrespect for your opinion (your more experienced than I) but I don't really see what you see. It's just a standard 6'-1/2 ton short bed civilian pickup bed. I'm sure the fenders are standard 1930-40 gauge steel as well as the bed, but no thicker than a military M16 or whatever they are called. Also the military ones have massively heavy axel, tires and hitch, verses a civilian equal. Anyway I like it and would have fun converting it into something very nice with the flat fenders similar to the ones on your rig. Very good and fun project I predict. :sunglasses:

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
The mistake I think a lot of trailer re-dos make is putting way too heavy of an axle/suspension under a used 1/4 ton military trailer. That'll make it stiff and bounce like crazy, loaded or unloaded.
I think this trailer is a half ton not a 1/4 ton trailer. Earlier I was referring to a 1/2 ton military trailer, I've never seen a 1/4 ton trailer at all. There is what I think is a 1/4 ton for sell in the forum for $1200 that's pretty nice.

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I think this trailer is a half ton not a 1/4 ton trailer. Earlier I was referring to a 1/2 ton military trailer, I've never seen a 1/4 ton trailer at all. There is what I think is a 1/4 ton for sell in the forum for $1200 that's pretty nice.
The M416 and Bantam T-3 trailers, both of which I have owned, are 1/4 ton military trailers, the most common military trailer out there in the world of surplus. You've seen a lot more 1/4 tons than you think, I'm sure.

They are what I am referring to, Jim, when saying this trailer looks heavier in both frame and body. Comparing it to the 1/4 ton military style trailers that most guys covet for converting.

They are what YOU referred to, also, when saying you're sure the metal is "no thicker than a military M16 or whatever they are called." I'm just as sure as you are that it is thicker. Take a good look at the images below of the two military trailers, including the images of the axle, and wheels. Hardly massive, nor is the frame.

They are also what I am referring to when talking about folks putting too heavy of an axle under them, which they do, too, to 1/2 ton trailers, whether military or not.

My M416
My Bantam T3-C

I'm going camping.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
The M416 and Bantam T-3 trailers, both of which I have owned, are 1/4 ton military trailers, the most common military trailer out there in the world of surplus. You've seen a lot more 1/4 tons than you think, I'm sure.

They are what I am referring to, Jim, when saying this trailer looks heavier in both frame and body. Comparing it to the 1/4 ton military style trailers that most guys covet for converting.

They are what YOU referred to, also, when saying you're sure the metal is "no thicker than a military M16 or whatever they are called." I'm just as sure as you are that it is thicker. Take a good look at the images below of the two military trailers, including the images of the axle, and wheels. Hardly massive, nor is the frame.

They are also what I am referring to when talking about folks putting too heavy of an axle under them, which they do, too, to 1/2 ton trailers, whether military or not.

My M416
My Bantam T3-C

I'm going camping.
Go man, enjoy yourself, wish I could get out but still laid up.
These trailers are the ones I am more use to seeing.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign

My M416
My Bantam T3-C

I'm going camping.
Military trailer conversion.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
3/4 ton military trailer..

MtnManAlex

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

@Lanlubber thanks for the story. That idea of turning it into an A-frame shelter got some ideas going around in my head. I was able to learn a little history about the trailer. I acquired it from my brother-in-law who inherited it with his family's mountain property. His dad purchased the trailer from a local miner decades ago.

Apparently International commissioned Knox to make these truck beds because the Knox box had wood floors and steel was hard to get around WWII. So originally, I would say this trailer was much lighter duty than any military trailer. However, this bed was converted into a trailer to be used around the gold mines of Jamestown, CO; likely hauling rock, lumber, and heavy tools/equipment. Today I noticed a plywood layer, I'm guessing that's where the original wood floor was, and I'm guessing that means the steel floor was welded in by the miner. I need to take a look under it and see what kind of axle he put on there and what other reinforcements might have been done. I expect this thing can handle a beating.

It has been fun learning about the history of Knox and of the trailer itself. I should get it weighed. Who wants to bet the over/under? haha

For the past couple of years I've been using a hitch rack and it has been enough to keep me comfortable on the road for 1-2 weeks at a time easily. The hitch rack is just incredibly inconvenient. Two boxes of assorted camping gear and a cooler, plus 10 gallons of gas, 10 gallons of water, 5 or 10 gallons of propane, 2 bundles of firewood, a lid, and a couple of kayaks (35lbs each) will easily keep my payload under 500lbs. This will probably be the easiest work in this trailer's life.

The classic look of the fenders is growing on me, but I will most likely remove them. They are in bad shape and I am leaning towards fitting 35" tires on there so the Jeep's spare is interchangeable. @Road Those flat fenders do look really useful. I'll be mounting a propane tank, so building a cooking area utilizing a fender could be a good way to do it.

Here is a close-up of the plywood layer I found under the steel bed
knox.jpg