Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
When we are out, we keep our food simple. Supper would be, steaks, chops, chicken, or salmon, along with vegetables. Cooked on the Coleman, Volcano Grill, or open fire. Sometimes a pork roast. Breakfast much the same simplicity. Baked oatmeal or eggs and sausage. Last trip out we were with someone that loves to prepare exorbitant meals. The suppers every night were indeed very well prepared, not unlike how we eat at home. Here’s my point, and it goes to the Tread Lightly Ethics. At the end of 2 weeks in the back country our friend had, no lie, at least 3 full bags of trash. His trasharoo ripped at the seams, and he had a couple more bags besides. Some of it was wasted food. Hmmm, when it’s just me and my wife? I don’t think we’ve ever filled our Trasharoo even after two weeks off grid, and nothing is wasted. If one wants to take the time and effort to cook up a really nice dinner cool, go for it. Just do your best to tread lightly. For us, after a day of hiking, exploring or overlanding, We keep our meals simple and delicious. Nothing much better than a perfectly grilled salmon with a side of asparagus topped off with cheese and a yogurt for dessert.

Bama_Kiwi

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Christchurch, New Zealand
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Frank
Member #

I dunno. The wasting of food is a bit annoying but, if they are not throwing human food waste out on the ground and are placing their trash in bags to be packed out for responsible disposal, /shrug Live and Let Live.

Personally, I tend to bring food items that do not require cooking at all, or Just Add Water at a minimum. However, eating this way creates a lot of trash, too. I don't see it as a major issue as long as all waste is handled responsibily.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
I use lot's of wax paper and paper bags, plates, bowls. All of that burns in a campfire just fine.

We usually eat out a ton, at the little country diners all around. So cooking isn't an issue.

Reactions: MOAK

Contributor I

Pine, AZ
First Name
Janine
Last Name
Alioto
When I was a younger gal, I used to do elaborate camp meals. Now I find I have the time to cook up meals and freeze them for later use. Then on occasion, I will grill or the like. It works for me!

Truckee

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Bay Area, CA
The suppers every night were indeed very well prepared, not unlike how we eat at home. Here’s my point, and it goes to the Tread Lightly Ethics.
You said you eat the same way at home. Your packaging material goes straight to the trash, his goes on a two week trip but eventually makes it into his trash can. How is that any different? The mantra is "Pack it in, pack it out." He did just that.

Sounds like he just overbought/overpacked. I like extravagant meals while camping but I don't like doing the prep-work on the trail. I prefer to do it at home. So I will cut/chop and portion most ingredients at home. All plates/cups/utencils are reusable burnable (paper). All packaging material stripped down to minimum.

Reactions: Aeroscout

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
You said you eat the same way at home. Your packaging material goes straight to the trash, his goes on a two week trip but eventually makes it into his trash can. How is that any different? The mantra is "Pack it in, pack it out." He did just that.

Sounds like he just overbought/overpacked. I like extravagant meals while camping but I don't like doing the prep-work on the trail. I prefer to do it at home. So I will cut/chop and portion most ingredients at home. All plates/cups/utencils are reusable burnable (paper). All packaging material stripped down to minimum.
Basically the same type of prep. However, we don’t use nearly the packaging as we grow a lot of our own veggies, or farmers markets, etc. we put our trash out every other week, maybe two bags. Recycling, 2 bags.. we try to leave as small a footprint as we can.. “leave no trace” ethics aren’t just for camping and traveling, it’s an ethic to strive for. And I admit, we sometimes fail miserably, so much so we are oftentimes accused of being hypocrites.

Truckee

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Bay Area, CA
Well, certainly, "leave no trace" is a set of ethics in life. To me, It sounded like an overlanding rant. If he didn't waste much food, he probably had one bag of trash and two bags of recyclables... and just didn't take the time to sort.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Well, certainly, "leave no trace" is a set of ethics in life. To me, It sounded like an overlanding rant. If he didn't waste much food, he probably had one bag of trash and two bags of recyclables... and just didn't take the time to sort.
It was actually meant to be ironically humorous. It works a lot better in person. I’m to old to give damn enough to rant..

Reactions: velo47 and Truckee

Enthusiast III

South Dayton, NY, USA
First Name
Ronald
Last Name
Howard
Member #

Service Branch
USMC 85'-89'
As I do prefer to KISS when traveling and camping, I do enjoy a nice meal from time to time. When packing I try to repack things to fit better into my cooler so most store packaging is left at home in the trash.

Reactions: MOAK