Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM
I am in So. California for the holidays visiting from Reno Nevada. I have a set of King shocks for a standard height suspension so their length is 4 inches to short it was not set up for a lifted Tahoe.

I visited King shocks today in Garden Grove Ca. to get my King shocks rebuilt and modified to work with my Rancho 4 inch lifted Tahoe. I was in awe of seeing their place... Just look at all these cool shocks... It was very exciting to see the quality and how professionally things are done here... Very impressive. Just one of these racks could be $250,000 in shocks...

King Shocks.jpg

Since it is only a couple days before Christmas I figured they would be very busy and trying to get things finished up for the holidays, I actually did not expect to get much time from them. A very nice gentleman asked how he could help me so, I was thrilled to be able to discuss options and some of my not so good ideas with him. I went over particulars of my set up like what type of lift, shocks, travel, full extended, collapsed length and length of travel. I went over what I was hoping to get out of it for the type of driving and trails I do..

So I explained in depth what I thought I wanted and proceeded to explain the type of terrain I spend most of my time on and type of trails I like to drive ranging from easy to hard levels and how fast I like to run on dirt roads 65mph plus... He said I should be able to go even faster and more comfortably now... Yea! I was getting excited...

Then my real education of off road suspension began. He went over truck modifications, stock shock specifications, King shock specifications and other measurements of my rig and the shock currently on it. He came up with his solution and explained what needed to be done on my King shock for a custom fit.

king shock.jpeg

What will I get out of it? I will be getting more usable wheel travel I am guessing it will be in the 9 inches range or more. Vastly improve dampening characteristics and with a remote it will run much cooler too. This will smooth out my ride over big and little bumps and improve my articulation as well. They will be installing a new rod pistons seals and other wear parts and doing an oil change and getting it back ready to tame the trails all for less than replacing my RS 7000 shocks...

At no time was I feeling rushed, all of my questions were answered politely with explanations when needed so I could understand everything being done and why. It was a very enjoyable experience. King has earned a very good customer from this point on. This type of quality and attention to details is worth the cost of their products.

Now I can't wait to get them back... Expected turn around is 6 weeks..... Ok almost 5 weeks and 6 days... lol

Last edited:
Reactions: JCWages

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Ah man, so he didn't have them just sitting around on a shelf? So 6 weeks until the custom make it, then install on your rig?

Charles M

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM
Ah man, so he didn't have them just sitting around on a shelf? So 6 weeks until the custom make it, then install on your rig?
Yea with the drop spindles and spacers the shocks are much shorter than what I need but, the up side is my shock stroke went from 3.5 to 5 inches so this will smooth out the ride and give me better articulation too.

Reactions: RoarinRow