KB Voodoo Fab Bed Racks

• HTML tutorial

Will Macia

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Camas, WA
Just installed my Tacoma short bed racks. Incredibly stout and well constructed. Install took about 25 minutes overall. I opted for tamper resistant screws for crossbars, but might get the star knobs too for easier access to tonneau cover. Really easy to add to this set up using 8020 even.

The metal components are solid and the way it sits on the bed itself gives me confidence in the weight it can hold. Should easily handle a RTT and still keeps profile low. Next I will be building some lightweight Dyneema shelters for this to cantilever off the side.

A cap on the ends to finish the crossbar might be nice. I can think of a million accessory devices for these.

Nice work by KB Voodoo...

Sent from my SM-G950U using OB Talk mobile app

KB Voodoo

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Olean, NY
Just installed my Tacoma short bed racks. Incredibly stout and well constructed. Install took about 25 minutes overall. I opted for tamper resistant screws for crossbars, but might get the star knobs too for easier access to tonneau cover. Really easy to add to this set up using 8020 even.

The metal components are solid and the way it sits on the bed itself gives me confidence in the weight it can hold. Should easily handle a RTT and still keeps profile low. Next I will be building some lightweight Dyneema shelters for this to cantilever off the side.

A cap on the ends to finish the crossbar might be nice. I can think of a million accessory devices for these.

Nice work by KB Voodoo...

Sent from my SM-G950U using OB Talk mobile app
:hearteyes:

B^2

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Did you end up adding a RTT to this? Looking at a similar setup for my Colorado but wondering if I need a third bar to support my 160lbs RTT plus my wife and I since the load rating is 400lbs.

Will Macia

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Camas, WA
The Hi Rise Crossbars are just for the Tacoma, but we have plenty of stuff for you Colorado here: https://www.max-modular.com/shop-max-modular/
What is the resolution to the rust problem? I have never had a reply to my email - it started after 4 months and I need to basically strip and powder coat, which as you know is not an easy task. I hope this got resolved but it sucks for those of us that are dealing with it.

B^2

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

What is the resolution to the rust problem? I have never had a reply to my email - it started after 4 months and I need to basically strip and powder coat, which as you know is not an easy task. I hope this got resolved but it sucks for those of us that are dealing with it.
So from what I had read on a different forum, it sounded like an issue with their previous powder coat person. With that in mind, I'm not sure there is a resolution other than stripping the rack. I was close to ordering a rack from them but it was enough to turn me off the idea, even if they say they've resolved it for future orders.

Overland_TRD

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Fairbanks North Star Borough, Alaska, United States
First Name
Connor
Last Name
Macklin
Member #

Service Branch
AD - USAF
+1 for KB Voodoo. They responded quickly when enquiring about their military discount. I purchased their 10 inch Max Modular bed rack. I am SUPER impressed with the rack and it looks awesome even without a RTT, which will be going on it soon!received_183171315936207.jpeg

Reactions: TexasBred

Overland_TRD

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Fairbanks North Star Borough, Alaska, United States
First Name
Connor
Last Name
Macklin
Member #

Service Branch
AD - USAF
+1 for KB Voodoo. They responded quickly when enquiring about their military discount. I purchased their 10 inch Max Modular bed rack. I am SUPER impressed with the rack and it looks awesome even without a RTT, which will be going on it soon!View attachment 72042
Also, I had no issue with my powder coat. There was minor scratch when I unpacked it, but I didnt notice any of the issues that have been reported in the past.

20181003_104740.jpeg

KB Voodoo

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Olean, NY
So from what I had read on a different forum, it sounded like an issue with their previous powder coat person. With that in mind, I'm not sure there is a resolution other than stripping the rack. I was close to ordering a rack from them but it was enough to turn me off the idea, even if they say they've resolved it for future orders.
Changes that we have made to our powder coat since last year

- All steel is now laser cut with nitrogen for better powder adhesion on the edges.
- Three phase iron phosphate pretreatment process.
- Black Sandtex textured coating for better durability.

We now also offer aluminum racks.

Will Macia

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Camas, WA
Changes that we have made to our powder coat since last year

- All steel is now laser cut with nitrogen for better powder adhesion on the edges.
- Three phase iron phosphate pretreatment process.
- Black Sandtex textured coating for better durability.

We now also offer aluminum racks.
Year 2, the rust on the inside of the cross bars is the worst, as can be expected when powder coating an interior enclosed area. Unfortunately, recoating these is not cheap. Glad they resolved for others but does nothing for those of us with crap coating and facing replacement cost.20190531_142107.jpeg20190531_142103.jpeg

alexdnick

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
A
Last Name
N
Year 2, the rust on the inside of the cross bars is the worst, as can be expected when powder coating an interior enclosed area. Unfortunately, recoating these is not cheap. Glad they resolved for others but does nothing for those of us with crap coating and facing replacement cost.View attachment 101110View attachment 101111
Have they ever responded to you? Seems like they are just straight up ignoring you, while people come to this thread and still say their stuff is great.

Such a weird and bad move on their part imo

Will Macia

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Camas, WA
Have they ever responded to you? Seems like they are just straight up ignoring you, while people come to this thread and still say their stuff is great.

Such a weird and bad move on their part imo
He just replied and said they are now out of warranty. Whatever. The history on this guy is obvious so I move on....

jakarapul

Rank 0

Contributor I

Michigan, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Watkins
Yeah I wish I would have read this thread before I did the research, placed an order, then cancelled it because he couldn't make the simplest adjustment to it. Customer relations were terrible from the get go. I would take recommendations for other modular racks though...

alexdnick

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
A
Last Name
N
Yeah I wish I would have read this thread before I did the research, placed an order, then cancelled it because he couldn't make the simplest adjustment to it. Customer relations were terrible from the get go. I would take recommendations for other modular racks though...
Yakima has their Outpost and Bedrock systems which are really nice.

The positive about their systems is they have a locking latch that is super easy to secure and loosen to move. I highly recommend it. Used it for my RTT.

There’s also Leitner(I don’t like this one because it puts the tent above the cab of the truck), Hot Metal Fab(cheap, not sure of the quality, you could be the test subject :P), and maybe a few others I can’t think of.

If I was to buy one now, it would be the Yakima. The locking mechanism is so convenient, And they have just the bars, a medium height rack, or a tall rack. Tons of options.

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
Year 2, the rust on the inside of the cross bars is the worst, as can be expected when powder coating an interior enclosed area. Unfortunately, recoating these is not cheap. Glad they resolved for others but does nothing for those of us with crap coating and facing replacement cost.View attachment 101110View attachment 101111
You can go to the hardware store in the paint section and pick up a rust converter that converts light rust like that to a paintable primer. It goes on clear but then goes black when it coverts the rust to a primer you can paint. Comes in a spray can so would work good for your situation. Use the rust converter to stop and prime the rust and then use Rust-Oleum and paint them black and they would look nice.

Reactions: PHANTASTIC81

Will Macia

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Camas, WA
You can go to the hardware store in the paint section and pick up a rust converter that converts light rust like that to a paintable primer. It goes on clear but then goes black when it coverts the rust to a primer you can paint. Comes in a spray can so would work good for your situation. Use the rust converter to stop and prime the rust and then use Rust-Oleum and paint them black and they would look nice.
Yea, no doubt, still doesn't resolve the customer service issue and quality issue after 4 months. I am going to be replacing these racks soon anyway.