Launch Member

Traveler I

Santa Ana, Ca
First Name
Raul
Last Name
Castorena
Member #

What's up OB family. I'd like some feedback on the Kargo master congo pro or sport roof rack for a JKU. Can you give me some feedback if you're running it on your rig please. I'm planning to put a roof top tent on it and use it to strap down some stuff. My first choice was a Gobi but they are 12-16 weeks on back order . Or if you know anyone selling a Gobi rack let me know, I'm in southern California. Thanks and much appreciated.

Rawly

Claymore F.T.E.

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Orange Beach, AL
Member #

What did you decide on your roof rack? I'm also shopping around for a RR. I like the looks of the KM Congo a lot. There's just one thing I can't figure out. Since the cross bars between the front and back hoops are inset about a foot from the outside edge of the Jeep, how do you mount an awning to the side? I've seen the add-on basket for the Congo that would allow for an awning mount, but that means you would have to purchase the basket, which would go mostly unused because of the RTT sitting on top of it.

Raul (Rawly) Castorena

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Santa Ana, Ca
First Name
Raul
Last Name
Castorena
Member #

What did you decide on your roof rack? I'm also shopping around for a RR. I like the looks of the KM Congo a lot. There's just one thing I can't figure out. Since the cross bars between the front and back hoops are inset about a foot from the outside edge of the Jeep, how do you mount an awning to the side? I've seen the add-on basket for the Congo that would allow for an awning mount, but that means you would have to purchase the basket, which would go mostly unused because of the RTT sitting on top of it.
I did end up going with the KM Pro rack. It's enroute to me so I'll have to play with it a bit and configure how I'm going to set it up. From what I can tell I'm going to need to get the KM brackets that extend the awning out a bit. I'll be running a pretty big Tepui RTT but I'll be opening it toward the back verses to the passenger or driver side (I think), I'll play with it. I'll get back at you and maybe send some pics so you can learn from my mistakes lol. I'm getting ready for my first overlanding adventure so I want to minimize my mistakes on the road. Wish me luck.

Reactions: Claymore F.T.E.

Claymore F.T.E.

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Orange Beach, AL
Member #

I did end up going with the KM Pro rack. It's enroute to me so I'll have to play with it a bit and configure how I'm going to set it up. From what I can tell I'm going to need to get the KM brackets that extend the awning out a bit. I'll be running a pretty big Tepui RTT but I'll be opening it toward the back verses to the passenger or driver side (I think), I'll play with it. I'll get back at you and maybe send some pics so you can learn from my mistakes lol. I'm getting ready for my first overlanding adventure so I want to minimize my mistakes on the road. Wish me luck.
Ever get your rig set up? Would still love to see those pics.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk