Just bought a SHIFTPOD.

• HTML tutorial

Rblain82

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor I

Pampa, Texas
Member #

I've been looking at these for a while. I wanted a rooftop tent but it's just not in the cards right now. The family and I are going on a big trip in June so I decided to pull the trigger on this one. Haven't spent a night in it yet but so far I am very impressed. It was extremely easy to set up. It's a little heavy but I will be by my vehicle everywhere I camp so I won't be packing it to the campsite.

Reactions: ASNOBODY

Gary Stevens

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Reseda California
Member #

These are really interesting. Developed for Burning Man, and has become the tent of choice for those heading to the Playa. I have only heard good things about these. It seems the package size is about the only issue. Looking forward to hearing how it goes with this.

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
I'm loving mine! I'm excited to try it out this winter with my buddy heater to see how it holds heat.

ASNOBODY

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate II

Detroit, Michigan
Member #

I wish these packed up a bit smaller, but still totally love the design. Curious to see how you like it in different conditions. Don't forget to follow up! :)

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
Looks cool! Why wasnt an RTT in the cards?
I like to be able to drive away from my base amp without folding up the tent. I have multiple vehicles and like to be able to throw the tent in either. I'm also not the biggest fan of adding height to my truck in case I need to drive under low structures.

RTTs are cool and serve a pourpose, they just aren't for me.

Reactions: Mogwai

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
Besides the insulation factor these tents repel noise and block out light which is awesome. The floor zips out which makes for easy clean up, and there is a center pole for snow load. I have a tunnel/coupler on the way to use as a vestibule and I may be ordering a second pod for the munchkins. The cover is nice to hide the lunar lander look but not needed for weather protection.

Attachments

Gary Stevens

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Reseda California
Member #

Besides the insulation factor these tents repel noise and block out light which is awesome. The floor zips out which makes for easy clean up, and there is a center pole for snow load. I have a tunnel/coupler on the way to use as a vestibule and I may be ordering a second pod for the munchkins. The cover is nice to hide the lunar lander look but not needed for weather protection.
So Burning Man is happening now, and I would bet within a couple of weeks after the event there are going to be a lot of these for sale, from one time users. There is a Facebook Burning Man classified page, that you might want to keep track of or even post on after the event.

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
So Burning Man is happening now, and I would bet within a couple of weeks after the event there are going to be a lot of these for sale, from one time users. There is a Facebook Burning Man classified page, that you might want to keep track of or even post on after the event.
That could be. The owner of the company actually rents these out at festivals so there are fewer owned personally than one might think. Shipping is going to be expensive due to size too. I hope you find a good deal on one.

Gary Stevens

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Reseda California
Member #

That could be. The owner of the company actually rents these out at festivals so there are fewer owned personally than one might think. Shipping is going to be expensive due to size too. I hope you find a good deal on one.
No need for one here I have a RTT. The larger commodification camps are using them on a large scale and you are right those are likely rented. I follow several several BM blogs and sites and there are a lot of indiviguals that spend the money on these. I am amazed how BM has gone from radical self suffient approach to people with large incomes spending money on anything to make it easy for them. There will be many for sale after the event. I would keep an eye open. There will be some clean up needed, the Playa dust is tenasious. Now that's if you even are looking for a bargin. There is something nice about just buying one and having it shipped to your door. All good...

Reactions: Cort

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
No need for one here I have a RTT. The larger commodification camps are using them on a large scale and you are right those are likely rented. I follow several several BM blogs and sites and there are a lot of indiviguals that spend the money on these. I am amazed how BM has gone from radical self suffient approach to people with large incomes spending money on anything to make it easy for them. There will be many for sale after the event. I would keep an eye open. There will be some clean up needed, the Playa dust is tenasious. Now that's if you even are looking for a bargin. There is something nice about just buying one and having it shipped to your door. All good...
It is pretty crazy how BM has changed for sure. Like RTTs they are niche, and small window of usage. I have a couple sierra designs tents used for more traditional camping that get used a lot.

One cool thing with the shift pod is that I get far less condensation than in other single wall tents. I'm assuming this is due to the fabrics insulation.

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
80746BF2-11ED-439B-AAA5-AFF0F2BF987C.jpeg 0E798E18-A6AB-49F9-B16C-B08886076D19.jpeg 8CCA1071-F54F-4E70-A7FA-54C2C189A093.jpeg Just finished up a trip with friends near Lake Michigan. Our Basecamp was in a valley and the temps were very low. The weather service reported a range of -2 to 9 degrees F not including windchill. We had an absolute blast and with my buddy heater the shiftpod stayed around 60 degrees all night even as the cold sunk into the valley. I burned a UCO triple candle to help with condensation but there was still plenty of it on the walls which is expected with 4 people and propane heat.

This tent makes for an awesome overlanding tent and has now proven itself in all the weather extremes I’ll experience in my AO.

In August I’ll be using it on my trek to Nain, Labrador via the Trans Labrador highway.

Rblain82

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor I

Pampa, Texas
Member #

Hey guys... sorry to leave yall hanging on my trip... I totally forgot i posted this on here.. Our trip to the North Rim was a hit. The ShiftPOD performed flawlessly and i've used it several times since then. For me it was a better fit than a RTT. While we were in the North Rim we left camp almost everyday in the vehicle, so i just locked it up and we cruised. IMG_8614-2.JPG

IMG_8591.JPG

Joe Mayernik

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Park City
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Mayernik
Member #

I'm looking to buy the ShiftPod 2 coming out March 2018. I have read mixed reviews on this though and for $1299 I want to be sure. I have a gear trailer (prototype for future build) the #UtahRover that I carry a ton of gear. I sudo camp/glamp. I use an Ikea full size wood bed frame with wood planks versus the slats which are heavier and take up more space and a Lightspeed Air Mattress. I believe the size of this tent would be perfect for this setup. Not in tent during the day much so I'm thinking the tent would perform well at night. My 2nd choice is the POD tent Maxi Elite at $950 with ground cloth so if anyone has compared the 2 or has the Pod tent I would appreciate some feedback. My current tent is a Big Agnes Tensleep station 6 which is a great tent but takes a little time to setup. The Shiftpod would be ideal to add a flue hole and maybe run a Propex H2000 to heat it for winter use as well.

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
I’ve had my Shiftpod 2 since they came out. It’s awesome but like every piece of gear has compromises. First is that it’s big and heavy when packed up.

There are 2 sealable vent pipe holes on the sid and 2 smaller sealable cord holes for power runs.

I think that due to the door size it would be a pain to bring a full sized wood door frame in and out all the time, you might want to look as oz tent.