Launch Member

Traveler III

Birmingham, Alabama
First Name
Cullen
Last Name
S
Member #

Hey everyone! Here is my new-to-me 2016 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, and this thread is where I'll try to post all of the mods I plan on doing.
Also - I made an instagram account (@ anotherjeep) which is where I will post about my Jeep and the places I go with it.

December 1st, 2017 - Testing out the jeep's off road performance for the first time in this sticky Alabama mud

Anyways, I guess the best way to start off a build list is to show off my first mod. If you haven't already seen it done 5,000 times, I have started off the build by plasti dipping most of the chrome trim and badges. I've had a much harder time in colder weather getting Plasti Dip to stick smoothly to surfaces. Today is the third attempt at the Jeep logo. I tried keeping the bottle of dip in front of a space heater in between coats, and that seems to have made a difference.

December 3rd, 2017 - Plasti Dipping

Small steps. Over the next couple of months I plan on adding a roof rack, gobi ladder, more recovery points, a CB radio, a/t tires, and some interior mods. The goal is to be pretty much ready for taking long trips by summer 2018.​

Last edited:

OCWanderer

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Irvine, CA
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Wright
Member #

SOOOO glad to see another WK2 here. We seriously need to stay in touch as I think you will find what I have...that there is a SERIOUS shortage in aftermarket parts for the WK2. So far, I switched out the road tires and 20" rims on my Overland for a set of AT's and 18" rims (you might be able to go down to 17's, but I have the hemi and larger brakes). I found my wheels and tires on Craigslist that some guy had just taken off of his Wrangler. Got 5 wheels and tires for $300! I added a GoRhino roof rack, but am already looking to replace it with something much larger and the rack I have makes it very difficult to attach an awning or a shovel/axe mount. I have the Gobi ladder on order and should get it in a few weeks. I've also ordered rock sliders and Bushwacker fender flares from Rocky Road Outiftters. Check them out. They have a few things you'll like. My big ticket buys that will have to wait a bit are the ARB bull bar/winch mount and the rear bar from Uneek4x4. Cool stuff, but the two of them combined (without a winch) will be almost $4K. Good luck with your build and keep wheelin'! Don't let all the Wrangler guys convince you their rigs are better. I just got back from the desert and my GC went everywhere any of them did and had no problem doing it.

anotherJeep

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Birmingham, Alabama
First Name
Cullen
Last Name
S
Member #

SOOOO glad to see another WK2 here. We seriously need to stay in touch as I think you will find what I have...that there is a SERIOUS shortage in aftermarket parts for the WK2. So far, I switched out the road tires and 20" rims on my Overland for a set of AT's and 18" rims (you might be able to go down to 17's, but I have the hemi and larger brakes). I found my wheels and tires on Craigslist that some guy had just taken off of his Wrangler. Got 5 wheels and tires for $300! I added a GoRhino roof rack, but am already looking to replace it with something much larger and the rack I have makes it very difficult to attach an awning or a shovel/axe mount. I have the Gobi ladder on order and should get it in a few weeks. I've also ordered rock sliders and Bushwacker fender flares from Rocky Road Outiftters. Check them out. They have a few things you'll like. My big ticket buys that will have to wait a bit are the ARB bull bar/winch mount and the rear bar from Uneek4x4. Cool stuff, but the two of them combined (without a winch) will be almost $4K. Good luck with your build and keep wheelin'! Don't let all the Wrangler guys convince you their rigs are better. I just got back from the desert and my GC went everywhere any of them did and had no problem doing it.
Sorry, just saw your post. Thanks for the info! Glad to know there are others on here with the same rig! Definitely interested in hearing about the ladder when it comes in

And yeah, I have noticed the lack of parts. My last vehicles were a ford expedition and Ford ranger, so I am kind of used to it I guess haha

anotherJeep

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Birmingham, Alabama
First Name
Cullen
Last Name
S
Member #

Installed the Brightlines crossbars on the roof last week. Very sturdy, and surprisingly easy to put together. Also put in the official mopar rubber mats, really cool design and appear to be just as solid as WeatherTech. Next, gotta do something about those wheels​

Reactions: Jimmy P

Bojak4909

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate I

Atlanta

Installed the Brightlines crossbars on the roof last week. Very sturdy, and surprisingly easy to put together. Also put in the official mopar rubber mats, really cool design and appear to be just as solid as WeatherTech. Next, gotta do something about those wheels​
I would recommend a newer set of rubicon take offs. Probably get them off methslist cheap. Saw another guy with wk2 put them on and it looked sharp.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

luchaDor

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pioneer II

Urbandale, IA 50323, USA
First Name
Doran
Last Name
Else
Member #

If either of you are close to Douglasville, GA, I'm sure WAM Bumpers would love to prototype their multicarrier for the WK2. They've done wonders for us Commander owners and have them made for previous generation GC's. Check them out! They're on FB & have a website up.

There's also Wilco Offroad which has some interesting hitch mounted options that look pretty nice frankly.

Last edited:

Silverback_WK2

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler I

Tontitown, AR
Member #

If either of you are close to Douglasville, GA, I'm sure WAM Bumpers would love to prototype their multicarrier for the WK2. They've done wonders for us Commander owners and have them made for previous generation GC's. Check them out! They're on FB & have a website up.

There's also Wilco Offroad which has some interesting hitch mounted options that look pretty nice frankly.
I've messaged with the guys at WAM a couple times and just get the feeling they're not interested.
Even offered to leave my jeep with them for a week or two.

Screenshot_20180108-212013.jpg IMG_20180123_175906_597.jpg

StuntmanMike

Rank IV

Advocate II

Newport RI
Probably because the IFS/IRS scares most people off modding these and really limits the markets. I used to have a ZJ, and there were plenty of parts for those, and then the WJ's. The f/r solid axles really lent themselves to lifting and serious wheeling. It seems like the independent suspension would be a big limiting factor. Also, I think the demographic on these has changed. Once the JK Unlimited came out, the guys who wanted a 4 door to wheel bought those instead of the GC. Back in the early 00's there were guys doing some crazy things with ZJ's and WJ's as far as mods and trails. The JKU seemed to kill most of the interest in the GC for that, and the market shifted more towards crossover buyers.

My sister has one, a '14 I think, and it's very nice, but I notice it has no controls for the 4wd at all. No low range and no 2wd option. It's great for bad weather, but it doesn't seem like the hot ticket for serious trail work. Correct me if I'm wrong, but these DO have a low range option, but it's only available on the LTD?