• HTML tutorial

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

Hello Everyone -

Last week SWMBO and I took a long weekend trip to attend our youngest niece's college graduation in Canyon, TX.

It was a rather quick trip (a little over 1,000 miles round trip) filled with lots of investigative stops. As the title indicates the route we took was chock full of Jurassic spots.

As usual we avoided the main highways and chose the lesser traveled highways-n-biways stopping in several small towns.

I still haven't figured out how to map routes in order to share with the group; yet some of the highlights were as follows.

Argonia, KS: the 9/11 Memorial which contained a piece of the Twin Towers, the Pentagon and dirt from the crash site in Pennsylvania.

Waynoka, OK: the Little Sahara State Park. This is a freakin' mini desert in Oklahoma! No matter how many pics we took none are adequate enough to give an indication of its 1,600 acres. I have been to, and driven through, the Sahara Desert in Egypt - now I can say I've been to the Little Sahara!

When we passed through Woodward OK we definitely knew we were well within the "Dino Zone". We stopped at a tiny coffee shop that had its own life size dinosaurs in the parking lot.

Shattuck OK: we paid a visit to the Shattuck Windmill Museum. It sounds a bit odd, yet it was truly fascinating.

Another Dino spotting was encountered not too far into Texas. About 5 miles south of Canadian TX we saw Gene Cockrell's Dinosaur sitting on a bluff overlooking the highway.

In Amarillo TX we stopped and visited one of the most iconic sites to see - Cadillac Ranch. It's a bit hokey, but still interesting.

The trip's turnaround point was Palo Duro Canyon. For anyone interested in canyons this is a nice one - I highly recommend it. The star of the State Park is the "Lighthouse". It's a rock formation that you can only get to via hiking and it's right at a 6 mile round trip. Several have died going to it. Last May a woman from our neck of the woods was the latest one. The park now requires a minimum of 1 gallon of water, per person and pet, in order to make the hike.

There were many, many more thinks we saw/did but that would take a lot of typing!

20181213_115359.jpg 20181213_141859.jpg Resized_20181213_172115_2260.jpeg 20181214_103026.jpg 20181215_150812.jpg

Reactions: JCWages