Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

The way that the BDR's are created it take into account fuel stops. Unless you drive a vehicle that has a small tank and gets really bad mileage, you should have no issues doing the sections with no extra fuel. Each section is +/- 100 miles. Most are less than 100 miles.
I completed the WABDR last year, it was awesome. I have done the lower sections several times, but only end to end once.

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
The way that the BDR's are created it take into account fuel stops. Unless you drive a vehicle that has a small tank and gets really bad mileage, you should have no issues doing the sections with no extra fuel. Each section is +/- 100 miles. Most are less than 100 miles.
I completed the WABDR last year, it was awesome. I have done the lower sections several times, but only end to end once.
I'd be willing to do the WABDR again.

We just finished the Idaho BDR. It is broken down into eight sections. Here it is broken down by section according to their paper map:

1 - 174 miles
2 - 200 miles
3 - 205 miles
4 - 125 miles
5 - 190 miles
6 - 127 miles
7 - 106 miles
8 - 110 miles (and once we got to the end, I'm trying to remember if there was gas nearby. We drove to Bonner's Ferry for lunch and there was gas there).

Link to our IDBDR trip - US Northwest - Idaho BDR (and then some!) | OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY

My TJ has a highway range of a little over 200 miles on a good day (technically it should do about 250 miles - I've never run it dry). Figure less range when overlanding and pulling a trailer. More than once on the IDBDR sometime at a convenient time during the day when the gauge was getting close to a quarter tank I poured my Jerry can's contents into the tank as a precaution before getting to the next gas station (and then of course refilled it when eventually getting gas at a station). Of those Jerry can times, maybe only once do I think I would have actually run out of gas if I hadn't done so.

Some of the towns on the IDBDR with gas were extremely small. We're talking dirt roads, one pump with just one type of unleaded gas, pay inside, and not open all day. It is smart to carry extra gas just-in-case - at least for me and my Jeep/trailer combo.

IDBDR-map (1).jpg

Glamor shot of the Jeep and trailer on the IDBDR:

IDBDR.1aaa.PNG

Last edited:
Reactions: JPRomanchock1

Malifestro

Rank I
Investor

Traveler I

Tigard, OR, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
McAllen
Member #

We are planning on heading out there this Friday. Intending to just do sections one and two. Spending a full 2 days in the Bethel ridge area on both sides. Does that sound like a bad idea and maybe we should reallocate time to the 1st section? I sent you guys a DM so we can chat a bit about the trip so that I can hopefully become more familiar prior to taking it on.

Hogman

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Everett, WA, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Balsley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRHS363
Personally, I would explore more in the 1st stage. Gifford Pinchot Nat Forest. Council Lake, Tahk Lahk lake etc. That is more scenic when it appears. Snow is a factor well into July.. Stage 2, Bethel Ridge, which used to be a vehicle swallowing monster is definately a must do, but due to so many fires and random alternate routes the true route is a piece of cake into Nile.

Hogman

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Everett, WA, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Balsley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRHS363
Panther Creek Falls. Stage 1, a detour from the WABDR. No panthers were hurt during the filming.

Attachments

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Panther Creek Falls is pretty awesome and it appears there is a lot to explore in that area.

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
Good luck! Be sure and tell us how your trip went (with pictures).