Walla walla wa
First Name
Butch
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Service Branch
Navy
I purchased a 4x6 Jumping Jack Trailer this Spring after looking at all types of trailers that I thought might actually survive the real off-road environment for the last couple years. My wife and I have done adventures all over the West Coast in various vehicles for many years and we have a couple very nice tents ⛺ that have served us well but we are getting older (at least she is - I refuse). Sleeping in the ground isn't as easy as it used to be regardless of our age! A couple years ago we saw one of the JJ trailers in a Sportsman Warehouse and liked them but weren't ready to buy one yet. Wanted to do more research etc... So after doing the Washington BDR last year we decided it was time to get us something easy to tow ( we have a 2009 Rubicon), was small, would handle having most of our gear on it, was easy for her to get in and out of, and was fast for me to setup etc, but most importantly would survive in the backcountry, were we spend most of our free time. After a year of digging we ended up back where we started, at the Jumping Jack... I love ours, I don't love the price but they are what they are so unless you are willing to settle for something less than what you want there are not a lot of choices. While I have the skill set to build my own what I don't have is the time. I'm a Logistics Chief for the VA and I work 60 hours a week most weeks.
So we left 2 weeks ago on the OBDR pulled the trailer through 800 miles of gravel, rock, mud, more dust than I thought existed, cow crap , rocks that swallowed my 33's, scorpions, snakes , and most importantly, some of the most beautiful country you could ask for. Only one small issue in the whole trip. Jeep in their infamous wisdom holds the linkage onto the transfer case with a plastic clip. I'm no engineering wiskid but there is an issue with that and I lost four wheel drive. Should have already been in four wheel drive so part of it was on me for waiting until I had to have it vs putting it there when I was in a much more convenient place. Anyway, slip cable back on, use one of the wife's bobby pins to retain the cable and back in business.
The trailer weighs 900 lbs and with my gear on there it weighs 1250... jeep pulls it ok on the hiway and pulls it great off hiway. You literally forget it's there... tracks right in the jeep tracks. I weaved through tight tree tracks with no issues. People put four wheelers on the top of these things with no problem so my 300 lbs of gear is doesn't phase it.
On another thread it was brought up about keeping up with groups that aren't pulling trailers. Wish I could say I can pull mine fast enough to keep up with a group. Not gonna happen unless it's just a gravel road. Or you want to see ur trailer wheels in you rear view mirror. If you want it to last you have to slow down and let the trailer suspension work. It does work well but not at 40 on a rutted logging road. Gravel roads, 40-45 all day long, assuming the rig is safe at that speed of course. I've pulled mine over boulders, in and out of 2 foot deep ruts, and in general wherever I want to take the jeep the trailer follows. Put a off-road hitch on it and keep going. Just be reasonable and have reasonable expectations.

AprilC

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rocklin, CA
Member #

Good to know on the Jeep issue. Did you do the OBDR on your own, one rig? We are thinking about doing it and we don't know anyone who had done it. so we are wondering if we need a group or another rig. we are not looking to do anything crazy, just be out. We have the maps, I can navigate, and we have GPS as a loose guide. Which trail did you end up taking?

So we left 2 weeks ago on the OBDR pulled the trailer through 800 miles of gravel, rock, mud, more dust than I thought existed, cow crap , rocks that swallowed my 33's, scorpions, snakes , and most importantly, some of the most beautiful country you could ask for. Only one small issue in the whole trip. Jeep in their infamous wisdom holds the linkage onto the transfer case with a plastic clip. I'm no engineering wiskid but there is an issue with that and I lost four wheel drive. Should have already been in four wheel drive so part of it was on me for waiting until I had to have it vs putting it there when I was in a much more convenient place. Anyway, slip cable back on, use one of the wife's bobby pins to retain the cable and back in business.
The trailer weighs 900 lbs and with my gear on there it weighs 1250... jeep pulls it ok on the hiway and pulls it great off hiway. You literally forget it's there... tracks right in the jeep tracks. I weaved through tight tree tracks with no issues. People put four wheelers on the top of these things with no problem so my 300 lbs of gear is doesn't phase it.
O

Chetta58

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Walla walla wa
First Name
Butch
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Service Branch
Navy
Good to know on the Jeep issue. Did you do the OBDR on your own, one rig? We are thinking about doing it and we don't know anyone who had done it. so we are wondering if we need a group or another rig. we are not looking to do anything crazy, just be out. We have the maps, I can navigate, and we have GPS as a loose guide. Which trail did you end up taking?
Yes, we do most of our back country long trip alone. One, we kind of like it that way. It’s my wife and i’s Time to just disappear. I have a high stress job and this is our recharge time. Secondly, no one ever can get away when we can or don’t want to go for as long etc... we went in by Walla Walla Wa and basically went South until down by Steens Mt. Area then went East to the Alvord desert and Steens Mtn. Played around in that area then continued on South on the trail to down to Cally border. The trail is mostly mild to easy. You can do 20-30 mph on most of it. A thousand blind corners on narrow road will obviously bring that mph down to a crawl. I had to do a double take on ur rig. Ours is the twin to it. 2.5 inch Teraflex suspension, KM2’s in 33’s, roof rack, black 4 door Rubi from 2009, Warn etc... I did put 513’s in it when we got back so the trailer towing a much happier task now. Sorry it took so long to get back to you.

AprilC

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rocklin, CA
Member #

Yes, we do most of our back country long trip alone. One, we kind of like it that way. It’s my wife and i’s Time to just disappear. I have a high stress job and this is our recharge time. Secondly, no one ever can get away when we can or don’t want to go for as long etc... we went in by Walla Walla Wa and basically went South until down by Steens Mt. Area then went East to the Alvord desert and Steens Mtn. Played around in that area then continued on South on the trail to down to Cally border. The trail is mostly mild to easy. You can do 20-30 mph on most of it. A thousand blind corners on narrow road will obviously bring that mph down to a crawl. I had to do a double take on ur rig. Ours is the twin to it. 2.5 inch Teraflex suspension, KM2’s in 33’s, roof rack, black 4 door Rubi from 2009, Warn etc... I did put 513’s in it when we got back so the trailer towing a much happier task now. Sorry it took so long to get back to you.

Thanks for the reply. We also enjoy solo trips because of the same issue with other peoples schedules. I think we will have to plan out this trip and do it. We have a 2012 4 door black JKU, not a Rubicon, but we did put in front and back lockers and a ton of modifications since we purchased it. I love it. It is also my daily driver, thankfully I live close to where I work.

Chetta58

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Walla walla wa
First Name
Butch
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Service Branch
Navy
We enjoyed it and we stayed high enough up to escape the heat for the most part. Even the southern section cooled down in the eve to make it very comfortable. We had some navigation issues in the Southern section due to not current info, although we thought we did. There were trail closures in places we didn’t expect there would be. Added to the adventure though! Lol enjoy... I dd mine too but only about 15 min each way. Heck if we wanted mpg’s I doubt either of us would have a jeep! Later

Captain Chaos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
Personally, I’m not interested in driving fast when out. I’ll pull my trailer most of the time, and I enjoy it. We also usually travel alone. We do enjoy group outings though. I haven’t swapped gears yet, but it’s on the list. I will probably go with 4.88s,