JKU Dometic & Drawer System Fabrication

• HTML tutorial

Don Meredith

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Greenville, SC
Member #

I've been planning on major changes to the rear of my JKU for over a year now. I've finally gotten the project going and I'm almost done. My goal is to have an organized system that allows me to keep the Jeep 99% packed at all times so getting ready for a trip isn't any hassle at all. Secondarily, I didn't want to spend Goose Gear kinds of money but man are those systems nice. Here's what I have so far:

Early layout of the drawer box. I already have the base plate shaped and installed with spacers lifting it 4" above the rear floor of the Jeep.

IMG_1171.jpg

Gratuitous photo of my shop dog, Gobi. :)

IMG_1531.jpg

Layout of the drawer fronts....

IMG_1532.jpg

Drawers in the Jeep. I still need to finish the shelf that runs from the side of the drawer unit to go over the Dometic. Then I'll anchor the system and get it packed!! I should be finished this week.

IMG_1535.jpg

SubeeBen

Rank V

Advocate I

Alpine, CA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Jacques
Member #

Sweet looking build. What is the of the aluminum extrusions. Product/company. Looking to setup my Jku similar & like the looks of that type of metal.

Josh56

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler III

Yucca Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Gonzales
Member #

Don Meredith

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Greenville, SC
Member #

What did you used for spacers on the bottom? Also what did you use to coat the wood. Love the color and the disign.

Thanks for the compliment!

I used heavy gauge PVC pipe cut to length as the spacer between the base platform and the floor of the Jeep. I anchored it in at the four factory anchor points. As I recall, this is an M6.

the wood finish is just a gray wash that you can get at the local Home Depot. I'm pretty sure it's from Varathane.

Reactions: Josh56

Josh56

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler III

Yucca Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Gonzales
Member #

Thanks for the compliment!

I used heavy gauge PVC pipe cut to length as the spacer between the base platform and the floor of the Jeep. I anchored it in at the four factory anchor points. As I recall, this is an M6.

the wood finish is just a gray wash that you can get at the local Home Depot. I'm pretty sure it's from Varathane.
Awesome yes I guess ill be down at home depot today then ha ha.

Jeffrey Dill

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
This is an awesome build. Has that 80/20 aluminum extrusion performed pretty well so far (i.e. sturdy with regular use and rolling/bucking on the trails)?

P.S. I catch a glimpse of your rig on Pleasantburg all the time. :smile: I live on E North St near where Keith Dr intersects.

Don Meredith

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Greenville, SC
Member #

This is an awesome build. Has that 80/20 aluminum extrusion performed pretty well so far (i.e. sturdy with regular use and rolling/bucking on the trails)?

P.S. I catch a glimpse of your rig on Pleasantburg all the time. :smile: I live on E North St near where Keith Dr intersects.
Wow, small world. I take Pleasantburg to work everyday.

Thanks for the compliment. The 80/20 is doing great in the back both for the drawer system & for the MaxTrax hanging off of the tire carrier. It's the same stuff that they're using for the GooseGear systems.

Jeffrey Dill

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
Wow, small world. I take Pleasantburg to work everyday.

Thanks for the compliment. The 80/20 is doing great in the back both for the drawer system & for the MaxTrax hanging off of the tire carrier. It's the same stuff that they're using for the GooseGear systems.
Ah, right on. Do you just order a length of it and cut to size yourself and piece it together (like adult K'NEX :laughing:), or do you have to send someone the lengths you need to have it fabbed?

DanielD

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Charleston, SC, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Marquez
Member #

Looks great! I'll be doing this very thing soon. Glad I found your post, because I've been trying to figure out what material to use and such.
What size plywood (if it's plywood) did you use?
Also, what size/model of Dometic fridge do you have? I am unsure of what size fridge to get. There is three of us in the Jeep, and I want to get the largest fridge that can fit in the back without having to lower the back seats.