Launch Member

Advocate II

Rocky Top, TN
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Woods
Member #

Hey all! I am getting ready to replace the factory soft top on my 2010 Jeep JK. Several months back, I put a roof rack and RTT on my soft top JK. I have thoroughly enjoyed it and my initial intent was to do an off road trailer build and mount the RTT on that, but I love having the tent on top of the Jeep. The one and only issue I have with it is the noise. Since I have to replace the soft top anyway, I am wondering if anyone has recommendations for a soft top that will cut down on the additional noise caused by adding the rack and RTT? Are there any other tricks out there to reduce the noise? If I can't get things quietened down, I'll have to do the trailer build after all, but I'm hoping someone has some suggestions. Thanks.

RootedWanderers

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Pelham, Alabama 35124
First Name
Wayne
Last Name
Sullivan
Member #

That's the downfall to the soft tops on a Jeep. I have a premium *twill* top that is much thicker than the sailcloth the standard tops are made with. I just added a Garvin roof rack w/ the wind deflector that was supposedly going to keep the wind noise down and oh my word it's much louder. I will be hunting a hard top after Expo West this year.

jasgwoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Rocky Top, TN
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Woods
Member #

Thanks OBJK for your feedback. Unfortunately I'm not really finding a good solution either. I really don't want to go the hard top route. I love to be able to quickly put my top up and down. I don't run the rtt 100% of the time and my rack allows me to still put the top down when I'm not. I'd like to keep it that way. I'll keep digging, but I may just go with a trailer build and lose the rack at some point.

toxicity_27

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

What I've heard people do is cut a pool noodle to fit and put it between the soft top and one of the support bars up front so the top can't flap around anymore.