Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

The metal open and close tool free, and swell less in the sun when carrying fuel. I don’t love the spouts for either but both work equally well with a siphon from the roof to my fuel tank. The metal stack better if you’re storing them on a flat surface. The metal pour better into a LARGE in regulated fuel opening such as on a commercial lawn mower. The plastic obviously have the advantage against rusting, internally or externally.

Metal have the advantage price wise unless you want wavian cans in the US(the best brand I’ve used) which thanks to the EPA now cost more than new Scepter cans from Canada.(a close second imho) For the record rounding out third place are the valpro cans available sans spouts from several importers.(typically have a “not for fuel use” sticker somewhere to skirt EPA regulations)
IMG_0794.jpg

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

Every other can I’ve tried went in the rubbish bin, or was immediately posted back for sale locally. Including blitz, Rotopax, scepter US market “jerry cans”, eagle/justrite safety cans, and jegs race jugs.

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

thank you for that detailed explanation.
[emoji111]
No problem, I bought all three I liked to be sure the mounts I built would fit any of them in the future since it’s unclear what may be available in the future given the regulatory climate.

The scepter water cans are the way to go for potable water if you don’t have a built in tank/system.

Plasmajab

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Quinte West, Ontario, Canada
First Name
Ian
Last Name
Howard
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA3IRA
Other issues I know of personally are with the scepter cans, they only have so long of a service life before the plastic degrades. I think its 10 years off the top of my head. Which might be fine but if youre buying them from a surplus store they might already be beyond thier factory life, not to mention the weird nozzle you have to carry with them. We have a less then politically correct term for the jerry can nozzle of course.

The metal ones tho. As long as you keep the rust out of them and the rubber gaskets intact have a great lifespan.

Reactions: kurm and eagle_A40

joshjunior

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Memphis
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Other issues I know of personally are with the scepter cans, they only have so long of a service life before the plastic degrades. I think its 10 years off the top of my head. Which might be fine but if youre buying them from a surplus store they might already be beyond thier factory life, not to mention the weird nozzle you have to carry with them. We have a less then politically correct term for the jerry can nozzle of course.

The metal ones tho. As long as you keep the rust out of them and the rubber gaskets intact have a great lifespan.
donkey dicks lolololol