Jeep roof rack on a budget

• HTML tutorial

Contributor III

I would like to purchase a rack for my 2016 Jeep JKU

I have looked at the high end racks such as the front runner, gobi, or rhino. Being budget minded I was wondering if there was a decent rack for around $600

titicaca

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Calgary
Can you get rid of the need for a roof rack? I was going to spend big money on rhino-rack but conceived the idea of strapping waterproof duffel bags to the roll bars. Some pictures and ideas:

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE

I have looked at the high end racks such as the front runner, gobi, or rhino. Being budget minded I was wondering if there was a decent rack for around $600
If you have gutters and I think you do. Amazon has a pair of roof rack holders (white in color but you can paint them black) with the cross bars for $110. Then you can buy the roof rack basket for under $100 and attach it to the cross bars. Wallo $210 bucks and a roof rack. The baskets (black)come in different sizes so be careful to buy the biggest one. Not fancy but practical.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign

P.S. In addition you can mount your awning to it, your shovels and high lift jack or a tube shower made from PVC that is shown on other threads in this forum.
I can think of several good uses for this type of set up including a piece of 3/4 inwwpch plywood painted black and secured to the two cross bars to form a platform for anything you want. Stiffen the plywood with 1x3's on the bottom at 16" spacing running from front to rear on a 48" wide piece of plywood.

S

SubeeBen

I have the smittybilt src F4241E1F-6EAC-4A2F-AF4D-B1E9B8431C39.jpegroof rack & am completely happy with it. Was around $500.

Contributor III

I have the smittybilt src View attachment 98635roof rack & am completely happy with it. Was around $500.
I like the SRC tubular rack and the EAG basket rack.
Really love the Garvin racks but the price is hard to justify.

I’m not trying to do anything minimalist, wood or diy, my JKU is fully built, on 37in tires, its all professionally done and done right so I’m trying to make sure any accessories are not going to bring it down.

Has the SRC held up well? Is it possible to mount maxtrax pins with the correct amount of spacing? Can you take off the freedom tops? Is here an easy way to put a platform on it without it being too high?

S

SubeeBen

I like the SRC tubular rack and the EAG basket rack.
Really love the Garvin racks but the price is hard to justify.

I’m not trying to do anything minimalist, wood or diy, my JKU is fully built, on 37in tires, its all professionally done and done right so I’m trying to make sure any accessories are not going to bring it down.

Has the SRC held up well? Is it possible to mount maxtrax pins with the correct amount of spacing? Can you take off the freedom tops? Is here an easy way to put a platform on it without it being too high?
I have had it on about 1 1/2 years & has held up well. Seems very solid & heavy duty. If I was going to do it over I would have gone with front runner only because the smittybilt rack is bolt together & I would prefer welded. Yes you can remove freedom top as well. I have x bull recovery boards but keep them inside vehicle as the uv rays will destroy any plastic over time.& I am probably going to fab my own platform. A little noisy like a lumber rack on a truck but not too bad. Good rack for the money but if you have a built jku save your money & buy the higher end rack. IMO, you don’t go to pep boys to get tires for your Ferrari if that makes sense. Good luck & keep us posted.

Contributor III

Okay so if the budget racks aren’t worth it what should I aim for? I’ve seriously looked at front runner but am unsure about the modular design. Has anyone had any experience with Tracklander? I saw a video by 4xoverland and he made a lot of good points against frontrunner and rhino racks and made a good case for the tracklander. However tracklander does not make any Jeep specific mounts or racks. So I would need to figure out a mounting solution that would stand up to at least 300 lbs

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Okay so if the budget racks aren’t worth it what should I aim for? I’ve seriously looked at front runner but am unsure about the modular design. Has anyone had any experience with Tracklander? I saw a video by 4xoverland and he made a lot of good points against frontrunner and rhino racks and made a good case for the tracklander. However tracklander does not make any Jeep specific mounts or racks. So I would need to figure out a mounting solution that would stand up to at least 300 lbs
So what's wrong with this set up . whether or not you know it, all racks are more or less do it yourself by the time you assemble them.

This is a rain-gutter mounting model of three-barred van rack with 750lb max loading capacity. It's extendable for different make & modals van for carrying ladders, tools and large equipment. Built to work and last. Put together this set up is economical and still classy looking (who cares off roading is not a beauty contest ! )

$135 for the rack and $109 for the supports. Have the supports powder coated or buy the other set in this web site that are black and carry 600# to match the roof rack.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
forgot to add the roof rack..