Jeep Patriot Overland Trip (TAT)

• HTML tutorial

Harriss Vann

Rank 0

Traveler I

I recently purchased a 2016 Jeep Patriot 4x4. I got the Patriot because it was relatively fuel efficient and had 4x4 capability.
I was wondering what you guys(the somewhat experienced) would suggest I do to my patriot before going on the Trans-Am Trail. I will probably start in NC(Since I live there) and end in Colorado, then drive back to NC via interstate 70. My buddy will probably go with me in his 03 Tacoma.

I was thinking skid plates, tow hooks(I have the Freedom Drive 1 model), 2.125" lift(RRO), some 15" wheels, 30" BFG All-Terrains, Recovery gear(maxtrax, snatch rope, shovel, jack, etc.), and a full-size spare in the roof rack. (I'm on a budget for the most part)
Am I forgetting anything?
Also, let me know if you think there are any sections that I might need to bypass during the summer months.

Reactions: Luis Merlo

Flamewave

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oakdale, CT
First Name
John
Last Name
Matusiak
Member #

RRO also makes nice sliders, those and skid plates are still on my list. X-Bull makes recovery boards for $65 on Ebay, if you want to save money over Maxtrax.

I keep a small Hi Lift mounted to the spare tire hatch. Since I run my spare on the rear, I use the space under there for tools, including a jack stand, Lift Mate, socket set, torque wrenches etc. Also fire extinguisher and first aid kit are crucial pieces of gear to have.

Oh, and trail comms of some sort would help too. Walkies or CB work well, and there's also ham if you want to go for the license. I run CB and I have a cheapo ham I can monitor with but I don't have a license yet.

Last edited:

Harriss Vann

Rank 0

Traveler I

I've got walkies and a friend of mine is hooking me up with a CB before the trip. X-Bull boards are on my list also. I need to build a first aid kit but I've seen plenty of posts on here about that so I think I'm covered there.
I recognize you from the Patriot Forums haha Thanks Flamewave