Jeep Owner Question (Distributor Cap)

• HTML tutorial

BeastModeABM

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Big Bear City, CA
Member #

I saw this video and he got bogged going through MUD, at 12:35 you'll see its because water got into the distributor cap.

My question is does the JK have a distributor cap that is water proof/resistant? Is a special seal/hose needed to make it water resistant?

I know breather extenders are needed when going through deep water but I'm curious about this being a weak point..

Cam_Cam_Tech

Rank VI

Pathfinder III

Pleasant Hill, CA
First Name
Camilo
Last Name
Sanchez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6QLZ
No you don't have a distributor cap. Most vehicles after early/mid 2000s went to coil-on-plug. But on a JK you have one big coil pack on the drivers side, take a look at it, all 6 ignition wires come off of that coil pack. For better water resistant set up you can add some dielectric grease on the inside of each spark plug wire boot on both ends.

Edit: the coil pack is on 07-12ish JKs. I'm not familiar with the 2016 model and how they set up the ignition. Most likely coil on plug.

EDIT 2: On your 3.6L you have 6 coils, one on each cylinder. So water would not be as much of an issue as the L/Cruiser going thru a mud pit like that.

Last edited:

BeastModeABM

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Big Bear City, CA
Member #

No you don't have a distributor cap. Most vehicles after early/mid 2000s went to coil-on-plug. But on a JK you have one big coil pack on the drivers side, take a look at it, all 6 ignition wires come off of that coil pack. For better water resistant set up you can add some dielectric grease on the inside of each spark plug wire boot on both ends.

Edit: the coil pack is on 07-12ish JKs. I'm not familiar with the 2016 model and how they set up the ignition. Most likely coil on plug.

EDIT 2: On your 3.6L you have 6 coils, one on each cylinder. So water would not be as much of an issue as the L/Cruiser going thru a mud pit like that.
You. Are. Awesome. Thanks!! [emoji109]

Saints&Sailors

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

I believe Jeep stopped using distributors on the Wrangler in 1999. My 2000 TJ has an ignition coil rail (the manual is silly and still calls them "ignition cables" in the maintenance schedule).

As mentioned above, a good practice is to pick up some dielectric grease (I bought a tube of this a while back - I thought that the name was a bit comical). Basically, any time I pull an electrical connection apart, I will throw a dab of grease on the connection - it will help maintain a good connection when you vehicle gets old (like mine) and it will also keep out water. I even did this on the contact point on some of my tail light bulbs since there was some corrosion buildup - I cleaned off the corrosion and then added a dab of the grease to prevent it from happening again.

Reactions: BeastModeABM

Kelly

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Member Rep
Launch Member

Traveler III

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
I saw this video and he got bogged going through MUD, at 12:35 you'll see its because water got into the distributor cap.

My question is does the JK have a distributor cap that is water proof/resistant? Is a special seal/hose needed to make it water resistant?

I know breather extenders are needed when going through deep water but I'm curious about this being a weak point..
... or you could just not drive full speed into a mud hole ;-)