Investor

Explorer I

Marana, AZ, USA
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Drown
Member #

Not sure which specific forum this thread should go, but hopefully this is the right place.

I own a 2105 Jeep JKU Rubicon. Originally I wanted to build a bit of a weekend rock bouncer but have since decided that wasn't right for me and fell in love with overlanding!

Currently I have a Rock Krawler 3.5" X-Factor lift kit on 315/70/17 (~35") Milestar Patagonia tires. I have a steel Poison Spyder front bumper and winch, steel Poison Spyder rear tire carrier and Metalcloak Overland Flip Step and rockers.

That was fine before starting to add overlanding gear. Since then I have added a roof rack, roof top tent, rear platform with fridge, plus packing all the goodies to get out in the wilderness. Our first trip out, I noticed that it seemed to be bottoming out the suspension and sure enough, there is about 1" of travel (maybe less) just sitting still before contacting the bump stops in the rear.

I decided that to get a better idea of how things were sitting that I would get it weighed at some truck scales. Totally loaded to head out for a weekend we were sitting at a total gross weight of 6,560 lbs with the front axle at 2,840 lbs and the rear at 3,720 lbs. I have yet to even add an awning or dual battery setups etc that may come in the future.

I have been trying to research some options for suspension setups, but wanted to get opinions from others before spending more money.

I think ultimately I want to end up in the 2.5" lift range and will probably go down to a 33-34" tire size to help with the weight on hills on the stock 4.10 gears. I don't need a rock bouncer, just something that can get me out in the wilderness!

I need something that can retain use of my Rock Krawler adjustable control arms and track bars, at least for the time being.

Currently I am looking at doing Teraflex outback 2.5" front springs and 3" outback rear springs. Also looking at doing just ARB/OME 2620 HD springs (2.25") in the rear. Maybe a combination of Teraflex in front and OME in the rear.... and on it goes. I can't decide based on retailer write-ups alone so I need some help please!

Does anyone have any good suggestions that can help keep me from spending too much money and getting my rig back to being more functional?

Thanks!

Reactions: MazeVX

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

Don't combine the brands, check out the teraflex outback springs, your RK arms should be beneficial anyway. Is your bumpstop height set to prevent rubbing of tires or just generic length RK send with the lift kit?
For overlanding, downtravel doesn't play the same role as for crawling, your suspension will need more uptravel.
So check how much uptravel is left in your shocks and reduce the bumpstop height accordingly. Hope someone jumps in who can explain it a bit better...
If you're shocks topping out to soon you may want to consider new shocks.

Reactions: Hodgespa

Hodgespa

Rank IV
Investor

Explorer I

Marana, AZ, USA
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Drown
Member #

Don't combine the brands, check out the teraflex outback springs, your RK arms should be beneficial anyway. Is your bumpstop height set to prevent rubbing of tires or just generic length RK send with the lift kit?
For overlanding, downtravel doesn't play the same role as for crawling, your suspension will need more uptravel.
So check how much uptravel is left in your shocks and reduce the bumpstop height accordingly. Hope someone jumps in who can explain it a bit better...
If you're shocks topping out to soon you may want to consider new shocks.
They are set to what was recommended during the RK kit install. However, the exhaust is just hitting the rear track bar bracket well before tires are rubbing.

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

They are set to what was recommended during the RK kit install. However, the exhaust is just hitting the rear track bar bracket well before tires are rubbing.
That recommendations are usually super safe, but that can't be judged here you need someone who knows how to dial in this stuff. My trackbar isn't even close to the exhaust but that could be for a different reason. You may want to check out some videos on how to dial in bumpstops and that suspension stuff if you don't have anyone who can help.