Launch Member

Enthusiast I

St. Louis Mo
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Scheuermann
Member #

Any suggestions? Don't want to drill and want easy removal to take the top off. I've been looking at the Smittybilt Defender but not too sure it works with 2DOOR, neither is Smittybilt. Thanks everyone.
Jeff OB#[emoji639][emoji638][emoji643]

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Jake Wettern | iamjake

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wisconsin Rapids, WI
Member #

Any suggestions? Don't want to drill and want easy removal to take the top off. I've been looking at the Smittybilt Defender but not too sure it works with 2DOOR, neither is Smittybilt. Thanks everyone.
Jeff OB#[emoji639][emoji638][emoji643]

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
Hey, Blermo - Prior to my RR purchase, I did a lot of research and finally settled on a Garvin Expedition rack - http://www.wildernessracks.com/index.php/jk/racks.html - I did not need to drill any holes and it does come off with relative ease. They are VERY sturdy, well made in the USA and Garvin will work with you to get exactly what you need and want. I can't recommend a better company - and their worth looking into.

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

I have this one and it works reasonably well: https://www.quadratec.com/products/12135_9003_07.htm

I have only had it for a month or two but so far it has done what I needed, including a week in CO on trails while loaded to capacity (150lbs).

I did buy the 'floor kit' from Amazon, and it is pretty much required.. I would rather have had a full length, and in fact, will probably still get one, but at amlost twice the price, this is a temp fix. It sits a little higher than I would like, and is a little higher front vs rear..

Unloaded:

20155616_10213813992727015_386709614806067207_n.jpg
Loaded:

20031870_10213813910524960_7424434353473238102_n.jpg

Rubicon72

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Austin, Minnesota
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Member #

If you are willing to spend the money I would go with a GOBI rack. I was patient and waited until one showed up on craigslist. No drilling and bolts to the frame of your vehicle. I have had three friends walking around on top and we had no issues. Also with the air dam attachment, you can't even hear it on the highway.

Last edited:

GABEHERNANDEZ

Rank I

Traveler II

If you are willing to spend the money I would go with a GOBI rack. I was patient and waited until one showed up on craigslist. No drilling and bolts to the frame of your vehicle. I have had three friends walking around on top and we had no issues. Also with the air dam attachment, you can't even hear it on the highway.

Qustion, how is it bolted to the rear? My bumper is set up to hold water and the fill hole is on the upper left side. In front of the license plate bracket. Do you think it would still work?

Sent from my SM-G930V using OB Talk mobile app

Rubicon72

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Austin, Minnesota
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Member #

Qustion, how is it bolted to the rear? My bumper is set up to hold water and the fill hole is on the upper left side. In front of the license plate bracket. Do you think it would still work?

It might cover the hole. The bracket doesn't actually rest on the bumper but slots through that crack between the body and the bumper to get to the frame. But if you do decide to get the Gobi, you can store your water on top of the rack instead of in the bumper.

GABEHERNANDEZ

Rank I

Traveler II

It might cover the hole. The bracket doesn't actually rest on the bumper but slots through that crack between the body and the bumper to get to the frame. But if you do decide to get the Gobi, you can store your water on top of the rack instead of in the bumper.
Thats my shower / dishwashing water in the woods. Lol. Ok. Thats good to know. Thanks!!!!

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

I would definitely do the Gobi if possible. Haven't had one but have friends that love them. I would have waited for one myself but needed a more immediate solution for our trip since I wasn't taking the trailer.

DDulie

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Joliet,IL
Member #

Here is a picture of when I was test fitting the supports for my Gobi rack. I cannot find an image which is viewed from above. The vertical pipe in the image is centered on the vertical seam in the body. At this time I only have the front support/light bar section mounted with lights so I am unable to get a picture. I took a measurement of the bracket so that you can figure out the placement on yours. Gobi rear bracket.jpg

20170728_093104.jpg

Blermo

Rank III
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

St. Louis Mo
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Scheuermann
Member #

Hey, Blermo - Prior to my RR purchase, I did a lot of research and finally settled on a Garvin Expedition rack - Garvin Industries Wilderness Racks - I did not need to drill any holes and it does come off with relative ease. They are VERY sturdy, well made in the USA and Garvin will work with you to get exactly what you need and want. I can't recommend a better company - and their worth looking into.
Thanks Jake. Had no idea you had replied to me so long ago. I’ve been following you on YouTube for a long time.
I went with an EAG roof rack. Works well for my minor trips. Nothing like what you do. Keep up the good work.