Launch Member

Traveler I

Redwood City, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Borkowicz
Member #

After a few months of contemplation, I've officially made up my mind to trade in my wrangler to start a 4R 5th gen build. I'm both excited for something new and extremely sad to let my baby go... but it feels like the right thing to do.

Has anyone else made this switch? Regrets? Lessons learned?

armourbl

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Phoenix, AZ
Member #

I have to admit. I have wondered the same. My main reason is I love the look of the 5th Gen and I hate the anxious worry in the back of my mind about Jeep reliability. Really interested to hear the feedback on this topic.

ben

Reactions: Eric Borkowicz

Virginia Overlander

Rank II
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Charles City, VA, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRCJ633
After a few months of contemplation, I've officially made up my mind to trade in my wrangler to start a 4R 5th gen build. I'm both excited for something new and extremely sad to let my baby go... but it feels like the right thing to do.

Has anyone else made this switch? Regrets? Lessons learned?
I will say this... it will be a challenge. Love the 4 runners. Toyotas are good trucks bar none. However Jeeps have the aftermarket support that not only makes things easy to fine it keeps the price down. Decent bumper w/wench mount for instance Jeep 5 or 600 toyota over a grand and you wont have 50 of them to chose from. Just my 2 cents... or nickel for the toyota. LOL. O and you will miss that solid front axle to. Toyota stopped in 09 i think. 04 is the last of the grand Cherokee solid front. But wrangler still does

Last edited:

AZBubs

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Tan Valley, AZ
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7BHP
You won’t miss a solid axle unless your doing more extreme trails. As for aftermarket support for a 5th gen? It’s only growing by leaps and bounds. Be advised our sad choice of motor in the USA for the 5th gen is a dog once you load up and add armor.

armourbl

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Phoenix, AZ
Member #

You won’t miss a solid axle unless your doing more extreme trails. As for aftermarket support for a 5th gen? It’s only growing by leaps and bounds. Be advised our sad choice of motor in the USA for the 5th gen is a dog once you load up and add armor.
You trying to suggest the sad choice for the Jeep is any better? Sure the new JL has some options, but all unproven.

ben

AZBubs

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Tan Valley, AZ
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7BHP
You trying to suggest the sad choice for the Jeep is any better? Sure the new JL has some options, but all unproven.

ben
not at all. It may be wise to hold off on a toyota for a little bit. Apparently they recently got their diesel certified by EPA in us and apparently they have been testing turbo motors at their proving grounds in AZ. So add $10k to that TRD pro price tag for a diesel [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23].