Enthusiast I

United Kingdom
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Moore
Member #

Hi everyone,

I'm just wondering what sort jack everyone is using for wheel changing.

At the moment I have the standard jack that comes with the car (no good for off road use) I have a hi lift jack which I could use on my tree sliders.

Any other saggestions would be useful
Nick

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
I have a trolley jack and a bottle jack. Both are safer than a hi-lift IMHO, but most tend to go for a hi-lift. Harbor Freight has them all I believe. I picked mine up because when when I bought my rig, the jack from the factory was MIA.

Lremoore

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

United Kingdom
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Moore
Member #

I have a trolley jack and a bottle jack. Both are safer than a hi-lift IMHO, but most tend to go for a hi-lift. Harbor Freight has them all I believe. I picked mine up because when when I bought my rig, the jack from the factory was MIA.
Thanks for your thoughts, a trolley jack is a good idea, are they not abit heavy and bulky?

Sent from my SM-N950F using OB Talk mobile app

ohiowrangler

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Newark, Oh
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Darling
Member #

I originally thru my factory away, and bought a high lift. I've since used the high lift twice, one to push my front end sideways of a bank and the second to lift my axle off a stump within 5 minutes of each other. My high lift now is mounted to my trailer. I carry a factory scissor jack and a piece of thick wood for support. I recommend two choices of jacks, sometimes one works sometimes not. I also have an aluminum floor jack from harbor freight, compact and light weight. hope this helps, Ron

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

I originally thru my factory away, and bought a high lift. I've since used the high lift twice, one to push my front end sideways of a bank and the second to lift my axle off a stump within 5 minutes of each other. My high lift now is mounted to my trailer. I carry a factory scissor jack and a piece of thick wood for support. I recommend two choices of jacks, sometimes one works sometimes not. I also have an aluminum floor jack from harbor freight, compact and light weight. hope this helps, Ron
I too mounted my Hi Lift on my trailer and rely primarily on my factory bottle jack. The biggest advantage of the Hi Lift is being able to jack multiple points on the vehicle (front bumper, rear bumper, rock sliders) while the bottle jack has to be used under an axle.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
To tip one more opinion in, I have the factory jack and my Hi-Lift under the back seat. I've considered a bottle jack but haven't found the need for one just yet.

Reactions: Lremoore

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
I’m a big fan of my bottle jack with integrated jack stand. I also have my factory scissor jack in the truck. I own a high lift but don’t really like it.

SgtMac

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Tucson, AZ 85747, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
McGuire
Member #

Service Branch
USAF Ret.
I’m a big fan of my bottle jack with integrated jack stand. I also have my factory scissor jack in the truck. I own a high lift but don’t really like it.
I have been looking at the Powerbuilt 3in1 Bottle Jack With Jack Stand. That the one you are talking about?

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
I have a neat 12 ton bottle jack with air over hydraulic. I connect it to my CO2 tank and a quick press of the button and it is up.

I love the combo idea with a jack stand but more important to me is having a large cradle on the top of the jack so it does not slip off of the axle. I am just about finished fabricating one that slips over the top of the jack.

The stabilizing jacks I designed for the teardrop can lift the trailer enough to change a tire.

Last edited:
Reactions: SgtMac

Lremoore

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

United Kingdom
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Moore
Member #

I have a neat 12 ton bottle jack with air over hydraulic. I connect it to my CO2 tank and a quick press of the button and it is up.

I love the combo idea with a jack stand but more important to me is having a large cradle on the top of the jack so it does not slip off of the axle. I am just about finished fabricating one that slips over the top of the jack.

The stabilizing jacks I designed for the teardrop can lift the trailer enough to change a tire.
Interesting, could you post a pic of your set up?

Sent from my SM-N950F using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: old_man

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra

The cradle consists of a short piece of tube just big enough to go over the circular top piece and has a C shaped bar that the axle would fit into.

Last edited:

SgtMac

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Tucson, AZ 85747, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
McGuire
Member #

Service Branch
USAF Ret.
My Powerbuilt 3in1 is in the mail, will take it out on the trail do a tire swap and report back.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
I cary the stock scissor jack for tires, I try to never use the high lift for tires because I'm lifting the body and it takes awhile for the axle to get off the ground. If the scissor fails I have a 3 tone hydraulic and if that fails I use the hi lift. ARB makes a great scissor jack base to get it up a bit.

Reactions: SgtMac

wandering nomad

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

pnw
Member #

I think for off camber situations hi lift is the choice, for level a bottle jack or a stock jack with a base. Each has its use and limitations.

jeepnjeff

Rank II

Enthusiast III

I carry the stock jack, a hi-lift and on occasion a bottle jack as well. If I'm on level ground I'll use the stock jack or bottle jack. On the trail, the Hi-lift.