It's 1 Degree (f) On The Ohio River...... Starting Procedure..

• HTML tutorial

Murphy Slaw

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Southern Illinois
Member #

I like to let my truck warm up a few extra minutes when it's this cold. I'm running a 5W20 Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Synthetic which flows good, but I just think the metal should be allowed to get to temp before stressing. How about you?

I also wonder about transmission temps.

alaskan.lad

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Palmer, Alaska
First Name
Gabe
Last Name
Hurt
Member #

I cringe up here in Alaska when folks fire up and light out without a good proper warm up. I am a huge believer in letting the motor become fully warm before striking out. The colder it is the longer I will let it heat up.

Block heater/Oil pan heaters are awesome when hooked up to an automatic timer so you aren't burning electricity all night. Synthetic oil is ideal.

The winter struggle cold start is real.

GoXplore

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Nashville, TN
First Name
David
Last Name
Yancy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4DKY
Reactions: alaskan.lad

alaskan.lad

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Palmer, Alaska
First Name
Gabe
Last Name
Hurt
Member #

I understand the science behind the statements in this article and see both sides of the practice (for and against idling your vehicle to get it warm), and honestly am still on the fence about the practice. I tend to go ahead and warm up my truck for my own comfort and benefit.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/a19086/warming-up-your-car-in-the-cold-just-harms-engine/

Anyway, it's an interesting read.
That is really very interesting, 30 years in Alaska had never heard anything like it before.

GoXplore

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Nashville, TN
First Name
David
Last Name
Yancy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4DKY
That is really very interesting, 30 years in Alaska had never heard anything like it before.
Yeah, it goes against everything I heard growing up. But, there were still a lot of carbureted engines in cars when I was growing up too (70's and 80's) and the article poses that as a reason why the practice was so common.

If I remote-start my 2500, it will run for about 10 minutes before it shuts off. It's really not good to idle it much longer than that unless you kick it into "high idle" because of the silly particulate filter in the Diesel's exhaust system. It needs higher RPM and heat to burn off all of the crap, otherwise it starts to fill up. I try not to idle it for very long.

BUT... I like a wam vehicle in the winter, so I am pretty conflicted about this. :)

Rob K

Rank II

Advocate II

I understand the science behind the statements in this article and see both sides of the practice (for and against idling your vehicle to get it warm), and honestly am still on the fence about the practice. I tend to go ahead and warm up my truck for my own comfort and benefit.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/a19086/warming-up-your-car-in-the-cold-just-harms-engine/

Anyway, it's an interesting read.
Interesting read for sure. I actually saw something like this on Facebook but it was explained in such a way it sounded like complete nonsense. I guess it shows the difference between a reputable source.

The science behind it does make sense when explained the right way. I agree though, normally when I warm a truck/car up its for personal comfort above the drive-ability of the vehicle.