Enthusiast III

Hueytown, AL, USA
First Name
Jonny
Last Name
Cochrane
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5DGM
Hello everyone! Just wondering how many other Isuzu Trooper owners there are here and what you've done to your rigs. There's not a lot of aftermarket support for us, so have you found any parts that don't officially fit, but work anyway? Most of what you can get is super expensive (looking at you, ARB...), and while I'd love to have $1,200 to drop on a bumper, that's not going to happen for the foreseeable future. Have you found any other brands or even parts designed for other makes/models that fit ours? Very interested to hear what ingenious solutions people have come up with!

1Truenorth

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Midd.-tenn.
First Name
Wm
Last Name
Murray
I havent owned a Trooper in years. Mine was an `89, bought used in 94ish. daily driver, sold it with about 250000 on the clock. Zero problems. It still had the factory clutch ( I babied it )
I would like to find another `89.
Monteros are pretty much the same car and equally desirable.

Reactions: bamakojon

bamakojon

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Hueytown, AL, USA
First Name
Jonny
Last Name
Cochrane
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5DGM
Monteros are pretty much the same car and equally desirable.
I looked at Monteros before ultimately settling on my Trooper. I would have loved one of those as well!

You never see Isuzu anymore. I had a friend who owned a truck once.
It's a shame really. There's not that many of us out there!

Reactions: Murphy Slaw

472HemiGTX

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Prineville. OR
First Name
Allen
Last Name
S
Member #

Thanks, the ARB bumper was his college graduation gift. 2" Old Man Emu springs, monotube shocks, powdercoated the factory alloys black, Smittybilt I-rack on spare. We removed the rail mounted roof basket and are going to build a permanent safari type roof rack this winter. Also going to manual front hubs. Good luck on your build, the Trooper has been very "friendly" to work on compared to my rigs.

Last edited:

bamakojon

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Hueytown, AL, USA
First Name
Jonny
Last Name
Cochrane
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5DGM
Thanks, the ARB bumper was his college graduation gift. 2" Old Man Emu springs, monotube shocks, powdercoated the factory alloys black, Smittybilt I-rack on spare. We removed the rail mounted roof basket and are going to build a permanent safari type roof rack this winter. Also going to manual front hubs. Good luck on your build, the Trooper has been very "friendly" to work on compared to my rigs.
Very nice. Did you replace the torsion beams with OME as well, or did you just replace the rear coils and do a torsion twist up front? I'm definitely looking at manual hubs... Right after I replace the CVS, maybe at the same time. Are you looking at superwinch or aisin? I've been thinking about making a roofrack for some time, so I'd be interested to see what y'all accomplish!

I do love how much space there is to work on things with the Trooper... You could just about fit a whole person in the engine bay with the hood closed!

SRN

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Salt Lake City, UT
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Nielson
Troopers are amazing vehicles, though highly underrated. In my nearly nine years of ownership, I can say that they are every bit as good if not better than a contemporary Land Cruiser. The build quality is top notch and with very little modifications, will go pretty much anywhere you point it.

You can read all about mine here and here

If you're looking for Isuzu information, your best bet is to join Planet Isuzoo, the biggest Isuzu specific forum on the net. 20 years worth of information there.

Last edited:

bamakojon

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Hueytown, AL, USA
First Name
Jonny
Last Name
Cochrane
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5DGM
Troopers are amazing vehicles, though highly underrated. In my nearly nine years of ownership, I can say that they are every bit as good if not better than a contemporary Land Cruiser. The build quality is top notch and with very little modifications, will go pretty much anywhere you point it.

You can read all about mine here and here

If you're looking for Isuzu information, your best bet is to join Planet Isuzoo, the biggest Isuzu specific forum on the net. 20 years worth of information there.
I'm already on planetisuzoo, and it is a fantastic resource. In creating this thread I wanted to ask about troopers in an overland specific forum 1) so I could get people's thoughts, and 2) so anyone else would be able to find this thread if they have questions on the future.

I am interested to know what you've done to curb their oil consumption. I'll look through your links later when I get a chance, but I'm always open to suggestions!

SRN

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Salt Lake City, UT
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Nielson
I'm already on planetisuzoo, and it is a fantastic resource. In creating this thread I wanted to ask about troopers in an overland specific forum 1) so I could get people's thoughts, and 2) so anyone else would be able to find this thread if they have questions on the future.
I am interested to know what you've done to curb their oil consumption. I'll look through your links later when I get a chance, but I'm always open to suggestions!
The 3.2L from 92-97 never had an oil consumption issue. The 3.5L in the 98-02's did have a bit, but not horrible. The only real way to solve the issues with the 3.5L is to have the heads redone; but since its so minimal most people just deal with it.

bamakojon

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Hueytown, AL, USA
First Name
Jonny
Last Name
Cochrane
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5DGM
The 3.2L from 92-97 never had an oil consumption issue. The 3.5L in the 98-02's did have a bit, but not horrible. The only real way to solve the issues with the 3.5L is to have the heads redone; but since its so minimal most people just deal with it.
Ah, right. Yours would have the 3.2. I've got the 3.5 with the consumption issues,so I'm always looking for ways to help it that won't cost as much as an engine rebuild!