Launch Member

Enthusiast I

1914 Chantilly Lane, Salisbury, NC
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Doane
Member #

I have an ‘07 4Runner SR5 complete stock. Is it possible, to order TRD struts and shocks/coils and replace/upgrade my current suspension? My target is to get more lift/clearance and prevent the sag in the back when loaded with family camp gear.

Is it possible or am I wishful?
Thanks for help and advice!

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Im not a toyota guy but im gonna bet that you can if that year model had the trd option available. Really anything possible with $$$$ and know how.

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

Not being a Toyota person, does the TRD stuff give any more lift over other trim levels or is it just sprung/valved differently?

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
Sounds easy enough, just go to the dealer and order the parts. But I bet you could get the same thing for cheaper by buying a small suspension lift.

Reactions: 64Trvlr and M Rose

justjames

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Member #

Considering the price of OE parts through most dealerships, IMHO, you would be much better off to buy a quality aftermarket suspension. If for no other reason than education, call Filthy Motorsports and have a discussion about what you're trying to accomplish with your rig. I assure you, it will give you a great starting point whether you deal with them or someone else.

Lots of people with TRD suspension go this route, if you don't believe me, look at the amount of new TRD suspension parts on Craigslist.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

The sag is easily handled with air bags, I have a freind who uses a bicycle pump to air up her Dodge diesel when towing equipment. I never realized how cheap or simple it could be.

Having 40 years of lifting 4x4s behind me.... I'd say learn to live with the reliability and capability Toyota engineers built in. Stay stock. After 33s and 35s and 4 lifts on various Wranglers my TJR is now back to a fully stock suspension and driveline and I love the reliability.

Lifting, bigger rubber creates a gas mileage creep, we notice it but since it happens over time we kind of justify it with... "but my truck is more capable"... not... sorry but most often lifts, bigger tires just make a truck more vulnerable to breakage and unreliable.... plus a gas hog.

Getting rid of 33x10.50s and fitting 7.50R16s I went from 17mpg to 22mpg.... no other changes, pizza cutter tires, added 95 miles to the range of my TJR. I now have zero need to carry a Jerry Can. And I have yet to find a spot bigger tires would be an advantage.

DSCN1497.jpeg

Last edited:

tacoclifford

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Stony point, ny
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Cirrilla
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2RMS
If I’m not mistaken, the trd options for the 4Runner might give you about 1 inch lift. But I don’t think it has any greater carrying capacity. So you might have more clearance, but you will still sag with gear in the back just the same. Like others said, for the price of oem toyota components, you can get better, more suited to your application, and cheaper suspension parts in the aftermarket.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Consider the Sumo Rebel springs. Air bags without air, kinda. And they split so they don't wreck your downtravel. Very popular on Oz Toyota's.