Is Goose Gear worth the money?

• HTML tutorial

Kruppdafied

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Don’t get me wrong I think there products are very well built/and thought out, but is it possible to build same quality for less? I know it’s not possible for everyone to build the quality in a timely manor or for cheaper, but for me having an decent workshop and also wanting to own my build not just purchase it I think I’m gonna give it a whirl. I’ve seen some good and bad builds over the last several years and nobody has nailed it like goose grease. But my Grand Cherokee is not a mainstream build so rather than buy what might fit in back I wanna give see if I can raise my bar to there level. After some pricing it looks like the major money is in quality drawer slides. Any thoughts?

Wanderlost

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Caledonia, Illinois
Member #

After looking at Goose Gear's base and the hefty price tag that goes with it we decided to build our own. We produced a video if you're interested. Ours is for a 4Runner but you can make it work for your Jeep.

Here's a link to it: DIY Base Plate

And yes, the biggest cost in constructing drawers is the slides. We just shelled out almost $400 for three sets. But, you definitely get what you pay for. We'll have a full video on the drawer construction uploaded in a week or so.

92437drawers2.JPG

Sandpoint Steve

US NorthWest Region Local Expert
Supporter

Pathfinder III

Sandpoint, Idaho
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Marchiando
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7POE
Have you looked at 80/20 stuff.
There are other companies out there too.

I think with some planning you could put it together for much less.

Last edited:

Kruppdafied

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

This is exactly what I was looking for as far as the missing pieces to what I have in my head. Thank you

Kruppdafied

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

After looking at Goose Gear's base and the hefty price tag that goes with it we decided to build our own. We produced a video if you're interested. Ours is for a 4Runner but you can make it work for your Jeep.

And yes, the biggest cost in constructing drawers is the slides. We just shelled out almost $400 for three sets. But, you definitely get what you pay for. We'll have a full video on the drawer construction uploaded in a week or so.

View attachment 92437View attachment 92437
Thanks for the input . Look forward for your future projects.

Reactions: Wanderlost

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines

just checked out the 80/20 website...great find! i see a lot of stuff i can use.
LOVE these posts, always learning new and helpful stuff

Anchor Mtn

US Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fruita, Colorado
Member #

Goose Gear is absolutely worth the money if they make a kit for your vehicle. They put a LOT of R+D into their systems and its all cut on a CNC Router($130k) for consistent results.

However, they dont cover every vehicle out there and here are a few sources to help you DIY.
Extruded Aluminum(80/20) www.tnutz.com
Accuride 9308 lock in/out slides from Best selection of Drawer Slides at Wholesale Prices - ahturf.com
Orr and Orr slides from Drawer Slides On Orr & Orr, Inc.
Coat all the wood in LineX for long lasting results. Its not cheap... but neither is doing it all over in 2 years.

Kruppdafied

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

There’s no doubt that goose gear is high quality and worth the money . If money wasn’t an object I would drive my grand Cherokee to them and turn them loose . But I also get great satisfaction out of the personalized build.

I love all the great perspective of the forum.

Keep up the great work guys and and life overland will get better for all of us!

Reactions: Sandpoint Steve

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

Tnutz also sells the t-channel bars and hardware. They are generally a little cheaper. www.tnutz.com
There is also tSlots.com which has a similar catalog of products (http://www.tslots.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/Master-Catalog-Web-compressed.pdf) again a bit less than 80/20.
If looking to build slides you might consider V-Slot rail and Open Rail from OpenBuilds Part Store this stuff is uses for building CNC routers and offers options for DIY drawer slides that will roll like butter. You'll lose full extension or some width for a double rail but should come out less expensive than the industrial locking drawer slides if you are buying them first hand (as opposed to salvage or reusing ones from an IT Server Rack.)

Boort

Reactions: Sandpoint Steve

Sandpoint Steve

US NorthWest Region Local Expert
Supporter

Pathfinder III

Sandpoint, Idaho
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Marchiando
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7POE
Silverado back seat is a pre big canvas to work with. Lots of space for ideas to come to life.

Reactions: JButtress

WAYAWAY

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
P
Member #

View attachment 92437View attachment 92437
I'm curious if anyone has ever used old server rails instead of buying new drawer slides. The ones that come off of the storage arrays are really damned beefy.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

I'm curious if anyone has ever used old server rails instead of buying new drawer slides. The ones that come off of the storage arrays are really damned beefy.
@WAYAWAY
I think this will be a YMMV thing. I looked into it as I had a bunch of surplus rails from a site upgrade. They were nice Lock in / Lock out rack rails and certainly should have been able to carry the weight I was expecting. (IBM and SUN 4U servers and Disk arrays are NOT light!)

My problem was that they were not really well suited for constant use. Basically they were really designed for being slid out once or 2x a year rather than 30+ times in a week. They rolled rough and the lock setup was not really strong more of a suggestion to stay put than a real lock. This concerned me as the server room is a nice flat and level raised floor, while where I choose to set up camp that is seldom an option. Also they had exposed grease that would be fine in a clean server room but would attract trail dust like a magnet.

Even though they were free and already in my possession I went with commercial ones for my build. Actually I skipped using these slides for this type application 2-3 times. Since before building my 4Runner's overlanding drawers we built 2 sets for my dad's work vans where we chose to go with teflon tape in the box and under the bottom of drawers. The 1st set was lost after a number of years of daily use when the van was totaled; The 2nd set is still working in his van after 7+ years.

Boort

Ben_in_ILM

Rank IV
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Myrtle Grove, NC
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Jensen
Member #

I talked to GG earlier this year prior to the shutdown and they are working on some additional applications for the bed of the Crew Max Tundra. Impatiently waiting...