Is anyone running Gaia GPS on a Windows based tablet since there's not a Windows version?

• HTML tutorial

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
Sorry if this has been covered before and I missed it. I've spent most of the afternoon (its been a slow day here at work) searching and browsing threads until I'm almost cross-eyed, but haven't found anything, so like the title says, is anyone running Gaia on a Windows based tablet?

I recently got a smoking deal on an Insignia 32GB tablet from Best Buy and jumped on it, because my laptop has been giving me trouble lately and I'll need a replacement soon and a tablet will fill in nicely. NOW my iPAD is about to crap out as well and I really don't want to have to buy ANOTHER tablet to use Gaia. I've got it on my iPhone, but it's way too small to use while driving due to my crappy eyesight (just had my prescription upped :rage:). I've been searching Google three ways to Sunday as well and about the only stable way I can find recommended is to use BlueStacks. So, any reviews, gripes, successes or failures with BlueStacks, another emulator or running dual boot?

Thanks in advance. I'm going to go fight traffic for the next hour (?) to get home, so y'all have plenty of time to mull it over....

Shane

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Sorry if this has been covered before and I missed it. I've spent most of the afternoon (its been a slow day here at work) searching and browsing threads until I'm almost cross-eyed, but haven't found anything, so like the title says, is anyone running Gaia on a Windows based tablet?

I recently got a smoking deal on an Insignia 32GB tablet from Best Buy and jumped on it, because my laptop has been giving me trouble lately and I'll need a replacement soon and a tablet will fill in nicely. NOW my iPAD is about to crap out as well and I really don't want to have to buy ANOTHER tablet to use Gaia. I've got it on my iPhone, but it's way too small to use while driving due to my crappy eyesight (just had my prescription upped :rage:). I've been searching Google three ways to Sunday as well and about the only stable way I can find recommended is to use BlueStacks. So, any reviews, gripes, successes or failures with BlueStacks, another emulator or running dual boot?

Thanks in advance. I'm going to go fight traffic for the next hour (?) to get home, so y'all have plenty of time to mull it over....

Shane
Hey Shane - I haven't gone through every single post in this thread, but you might find help in there, or at lease be steered in the right direction. It has eleven pages of posts, all focused on Gaia: Ask Me About Gaia GPS!

Was started by @1Louder, who has used it a long time and has been a tester for Gaia in the past. I'm not sure he's the main answer man there now, but many others have chipped in to the thread.

When you do find an answer/solution, post back in this thread what you found out, so others can find it too, in a search. I'm going to add some keyword/tags at the top, to help the search process.

Thanks man, and good luck.

Road

Reactions: ru108

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
Hey Shane - I haven't gone through every single post in this thread, but you might find help in there, or at lease be steered in the right direction. It has eleven pages of posts, all focused on Gaia: Ask Me About Gaia GPS!

Was started by @1Louder, who has used it a long time and has been a tester for Gaia in the past. I'm not sure he's the main answer man there now, but many others have chipped in to the thread.

When you do find an answer/solution, post back in this thread what you found out, so others can find it too, in a search. I'm going to add some keyword/tags at the top, to help the search process.

Thanks man, and good luck.

Road

@Road, the ask me thread is the one I went cross eyed reading, lol. Unfortunately, I started into that one after I'd been browsing the site (with a little work thrown in) for most of the early afternoon. I found at least one person that was using the same tablet, but it was Android based. Didn't see anything about using an Android emulator/dual boot, but I'll definitely go through it again to be sure. Also, I'm going to try BlueStacks and see what happens and will report back in that thread with the results asap for sure and delete this one. I'd really hate to see an $80 tablet go to waste. :grin:

Thanks for the reply!

Shane

Reactions: Road

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

@Road, the ask me thread is the one I went cross eyed reading, lol. Unfortunately, I started into that one after I'd been browsing the site (with a little work thrown in) for most of the early afternoon. I found at least one person that was using the same tablet, but it was Android based. Didn't see anything about using an Android emulator/dual boot, but I'll definitely go through it again to be sure. Also, I'm going to try BlueStacks and see what happens and will report back in that thread with the results asap for sure and delete this one. I'd really hate to see an $80 tablet go to waste. :grin:

Thanks for the reply!

Shane
My pleasure, Shane. We're hoping the search function here gets improved along with other software upgrades. There must be a solution that'll work well for you somewhere!