Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Depends on where you're going and what kind of terrain, but in general, based on what you're saying, no, you won't need a winch. Or a hi-lift, or even recovery straps. A great deal of what you do out there is just using common sense. Don't get in over your head for what your vehicle and experience are capable of.

Even if your vehicle might be capable, it may be more capable than your experience allows. Count on your own real experience more than anything. . . if solo and in a situation where you are doubtful about the trail ahead, park your vehicle and walk it first. See what's ahead before you get into a jam you can't get out of. Odds are you won't be doing any trails that will even need that, to be honest. But if you do end up somewhere that you have doubts about, there is no shame in turning around and finding another way.

If you're prone to being impulsive and taking devil-may-care type actions and potentially endangering yourself and your vehicle, then find a place to learn some recovery skills before going out solo. That will help you understand what to do and what gear you need.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Short answer: No

Long Answer: See my reply in your other more generalized gear post/question.

I’m not a moderator but you pretty much asked this question in your other post. You might consider deleting this one.

You will receive lots of great responses but when answers are spread across multiple posts the sharing of information is diluted.

I don’t mean this to come across in a bad way. Just an active forum member for years and see this happening all the time.

Search for your question. Read a ton (some will be exact answers others will be close or teach you about something else), then ask away! I learn something new on a daily basis.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Short answer: No

Long Answer: See my reply in your other more generalized gear post/question.

I’m not a moderator but you pretty much asked this question in your other post. You might consider deleting this one.

You will receive lots of great responses but when answers are spread across multiple posts the sharing of information is diluted.

I don’t mean this to come across in a bad way. Just an active forum member for years and see this happening all the time.

Search for your question. Read a ton (some will be exact answers others will be close or teach you about something else), then ask away! I learn something new on a daily basis.
Exactly, @Christian Giannotti - doesn't help to ask the same type of questions in multiple places. I saw this one first, then your other one...not going to answer in two places.

Reactions: PintSize

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

Not in the least!

Road pretty much hit it, but a shovel will get you out of most trouble, and if you haven't seen my other threads, I am a pretty big advocate of a well-accessorized hi-lift to pretty much cover every other base.

Reactions: MoreGone and Road

PintSize

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Corpus Christi, Texas
Member #

Yeah...I'm no moderator but here's my experience. When I get that gut feeling and panic... I know I should dial back my approach or turn back in some spots. I always have a hi lift and a shovel. I frequent the beach the most, and sometimes when it hasn't rained in a while I air down a lot and haul about 6 2x10's that are cut down to 4' lengths and if I get in a tight spot I shovel in some sand and build a road. Good luck exploring my friend. Adventure is necessary!

Reactions: ArkansasDon

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

know your limitations when offroading. A 4X4 doesn't mean you can go any where. My father told me on my 1st 4x4: 1970 Ford F100 1\2 ton, short bed 4x4 w\ 300 6cyl, 4 speed granny low "don't you think that a 4 wheel will get out of all sticky situations" @ the age of 17 yrs old then & now I am 58 yrs old.

My current truck, my daily driver is a 2000 GMC z71 1\2 ton extended cab with 5.3 L v8 (stock), stock height suspension w\after market shocks, 3:73 ratio, 265x75Rx16 General Grabbers, built performance 4L60E transmission, true dual exhaust w\dual cats, 12,ooolb Smittybilt winch. I carry under the rear seat: set of XBull 10 ton recovery boards, & the basic recovery gear in a bag. The back of the bed is a 48" hi-lift jack.
I know my limitations were I & the wife can go disperse camping, my truck aint no rock crawler & I will never put it in those situations like that.
I go to many places deep in the wilderness that the wife & I do not see hardly anyone when disperse camping with my truck & overland trailer.
I've owned 4x4's all my life & restored two classic jeeps, both w\ many after-market modifications, & had countless 4x4 trucks. Smart thinking: known your limitations of your vehicle & your offroading capabilities "experience" are your best assets from putting yourself in to sticky situations you can not get yourself out off.

I can count on one hand how many times I've used my winch when dispersed camping. 3 times, once getting some rookie unstuck in National forest, twice removing fallen trees blocking my destination. All three were from my old winch: Badlands 9,000lb winch which I gave to my best friend for his truck.
002.JPG

029.JPG

Last edited:

ohiowrangler

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Newark, Oh
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Darling
Member #

I would recommend having a winch. That being said, have you considered going out with a friend and getting stuck. This will allow you to see what your truck can do and you can learn what it takes to get it out. With someone to help if needed, with advice. Ron.

Reactions: Eric Neal

Lead K9

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Franklin Park, Illinois
First Name
Lead
Last Name
Dog
Member #

I highly recommend a winch if you are traveling solo. Depending on the season and the weather, a trail can be completely different from the last time you drove it. A winch will get you out of trouble safely and quickly. If you are traveling with another vehicle, a winch is less important as the two of you can use a tow strap to get each other out of danger.

I do agree that knowing your abilities and those of your vehicle override any modifications to your vehicle. As with any situation, your best tool is the one between your ears.

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

I also asked almost this exact question a couple years ago, and in 4 pages of replies got roughly the following justifications for recommending a winch.

80%: For peace of mind.

10%: Because while they were out alone, they deliberately tackled obstacles that got them stuck.

9%: They used them for recovering others or moving fallen trees...

1%: it is because they actually got stuck out on a trail truly only trying to get from Pt A to Pt B.

I own a winch now on my 4Runner and had one on my old Samurai. On my Samurai, all of my successful recoveries were under vehicle power, rather than with the winch. And, in my 4Runner, the only uses it has seen were recovering an XTerra and moving a log, both of which could have been done more easily with straps and engine power.

Last edited:

Musubie

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Los Angeles
I am new here, but I have been doing this overland thing a few decades before it was known as overlanding.

I used to drive a rig with a winch and in all honesty I cannot ever having used it for getting myself out of a horrendous situation. I've helped others out with it and I have moved a fallen tree with it, but I've never needed it for myself. I have, however, also avoided situations that I thought would be too risky. That level of circumspection is helpful now that I am overlanding in an Outback. But I freely admit that it does give me peace of mind.

As others have said here, know yourself and your vehicle. Also have the winch professionally installed and checked as part of maintenance. I have seen 2 winches that were improperly wired to the electrical harness, and one CJ where the winch worked perfectly, only to pull itself out of the rusted platform. If you're dead-set on getting one, exercise winch-awareness. Videos of people standing around a working winch only make me wonder how many people get hurt in unposted videos when the winch line snaps.

Seppy

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Cambon Avenue, Saint James, NY, USA
First Name
Joseph
Last Name
Cosentino
Member #

IMO: You could be the king of good decision making, but you're alone and anything can happen. My buddy was in the Navy and always talked about the 6 P's. Prior Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance. Be ready with something.

Reactions: satxguy