Ironman MTs Are they worth it....reviews

• HTML tutorial

MS_Disco

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Madison, MS
Member #

New set of IRonman MTs, going to put them to the test. 265/75 r16 on 16x8 in steel wheels. I've got about 250 miles on them so far, road noise is typical for a mud tire, you can definitely feel the lugs hitting the pavement at slow speed. For 10 ply tires with 3 ply sidewalls, the ride is actually quite good. Stability in corners is also good, no excessive sway. 1k mile trip coming up to test them in rocks and mud. More to come.....
IronmanMts.jpg

Last edited:

LostMayhem

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

New Jersey
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Maccione
Member #

New set of IRonman MTs, going to put them to the test. 265/75 r16 on 16x8 in steel wheels. I've got about 250 miles on them so far, road noise is typical for a mud tire, you can definitely feel the lugs hitting the pavement at slow speed. For 10 ply tires with 3 ply sidewalls, the ride is actually quite good. Stability in corners is also good, no excessive sway. 1k mile trip coming up to test them in rocks and mud. More to come.....
View attachment 37278

Looking good on the rig! Have fun on your trip, safe travels!

Reactions: MS_Disco

MS_Disco

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Madison, MS
Member #

Update....I'm still working on piecing together the video, cutting down 6+ hours of offroad footage. We have over 1500 miles on the Ironman MTs now. I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised! Our main day offroading at Windrock park, after a full night of torrential downpours, gave us plenty of chances to test the new rubber. We had much of the 74000 acres to ourselves, all of the trails had been washed clean, leaving nothing but exposed rock to drive on. Some stretches were brutal, to say the least, even airing the tires down didn't help much, so our pace was a slow crawl most of the day. We had absolutely NO tire slip, even on 30+ degree uphill climbs; Trails were soaked all day with a steady rain. The only wheel spin we noticed were rocks getting ripped out of the ground as the lugs grabbed. After playing offroad, we loaded up and headed south through North Carolina, taking the Dragon into Georgia. I was a little worried about all those curves with a top heavy, fully loaded Disco, but the tires didn't sway a bit(we did air back up to 35 psi before hitting the pavement). Road noise hasn't changed, we stayed off the main interstates, stuck to highways, so 65 mph was max speeds we saw. I looked them over pretty good today, no damage at all, so they held up to their 10 ply toughness rating. I dare say, it may be a while before I need mud tires again. Don't know if I should smile or frown at that...lol Would I buy again? YEP!!!! If these ever wear out, I may see how the Ironman's big brother, Hercules Terra Trac MT or Max, fair.

Reactions: khorsa

SpikeMD

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Granite Bay, CA
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Speicher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WJ6SPK
What were u aired down too? Never heard of Iron man... What rack do u have on the D2?

MS_Disco

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Madison, MS
Member #

What were u aired down too? Never heard of Iron man... What rack do u have on the D2?
Dropped them down to 25, that was plenty for what we were doing. Ironmans are made by Hercules (Cooper bought them). The rack(s) I got off Amazon, universal van rack, bought 2 sets, modified the mounts to fit, will be adding a platform soon. Maxxhaul 70440 is the make/model. $65 per set, plus another $100 for steel to build platform, sure beats a grand!!

OB#3799

Last edited:
Reactions: khorsa

MS_Disco

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Madison, MS
Member #

Heading to Hot Springs Offroad park Sat... getting more/better video...some hills there I couldn't get up with ATs last time, should be interesting.

OB#3799

MS_Disco

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Madison, MS
Member #

Well, just got back from Hot Springs, still lovin these tires... Climbed every Hill I wasn't able to on my old ATs...almost took the challenge out of offroading!!

OB#3799

Reactions: Floridaexpedition

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Looking for some more reviews on these tires. What psi (on-road/off-road), Likes/dislikes, real mileage, problems, satisfaction, etc, Have to buy new tires very soon, and these came up as a inexpensive alternate. I am leaning towards the Milestar Patagonia's, as mileage is not as important as tire life vs tread life,...... because of 'heat checking' in the desert SW. This can prematurely kill tires.

Last edited: