Welch, Minnesota, USA
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Fjetland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
na
I’ve been looking through lots of threads on navigation app options and use of iPads/google etc. I’m looking into a new iPad. What are your thoughts on screen size and memory/storage?

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
For me the iPad Pro with 256GB has worked great, I had an older iPad with 32GB but that didn't work nearly as well.

KAIONE

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Kanak
Last Name
Attack
Member #

iPad Pro 12.9” gen 4 w/ cell service. Different from my cell for better coverage. Worth every penny, due to signal strength, speed, reception. Works better than my phone some places. Takes pics, vids etc. can use all apps at a higher speed. Having apps like OnX on my phone and Gaia on my iPad working in conjunction is priceless. The screen is big, wouldn’t mount it to my dash. So it just sits propped up in a case with keyboard on the seat or passenger holds it. Highly recommend the bigger the better. Safe travels!

Reactions: Wheel2Live Outdoors

Wheel2Live Outdoors

Rank V

Advocate II

De Queen, AR 71832
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Baker
Member #

Ipad pro 12.9 with 512GB cell/wifi '21 version. I Love it. Fast and the screen size cant be beat. No regrets on purchase. I went with more gigs because I use it for other things than just navigating. Totally agree with above statement bigger the better.

Reactions: KAIONE and Advtres

socal66

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Covina, CA, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Sampson
Member #

I have the new 12.9 Pro with 256GB of storage. The 256GB option was only $100 more and seemed like a good upgrade given the small incremental cost. After loading my most used apps including Gaia and all of my maps/routes/etc. there is more than enough storage left over. The new model is really fast and zooming in/out and navigating through Gaia is very quick and responsive and the bigger screen works well with map viewing. That said the Pro iPads (11 or 12.9) are both rather large and heavy if you intend to dash mount them in your vehicle especially in off-road situations. If you need a tablet for that purpose it would be probably best to get something lighter or plan on not dash mounting one of these.

Reactions: Wheel2Live Outdoors

kwill

Rank II

Enthusiast III

TX
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Williams
For size, I find the mini iPad to be perfect. Get as much memory as you can.

Reactions: KAIONE