Launch Member

Contributor II

Bermuda Dunes, CA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Rojas
Member #

Has anyone camped in these areas ex: Bishop, Monache Meadows, Coyote flats etc in mid April? if so how are the road conditions?
Me and some friends(also all OB members here) decided to take a multi day trip up to Coyote Flats and Alabama hills, was awesome, I’ll answer any questions you have!

IMG_0472.JPGIMG_0483.JPG
IMG_0470.JPGIMG_0471.JPGIMG_0499.JPGIMG_0464.JPGIMG_0501.JPGIMG_0469.JPG

Attachments

Reactions: Stithis

DesertTraveler

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Bermuda Dunes, CA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Rojas
Member #

When did you guys go??
My bad I misunderstood your post I didn’t see the April part. We went last weekend of October, it was super cold. All I will say is you will want to air down on the switchbacks you to coyote flats cause it’s really rocky, not technical but it feels long because you have to go so slow. Always feels fun though never feels boring. A couple V notches and river running down the trail when we went which made it really slippery.

KrelleKryl

Rank III

Advocate I

San Diego, CA
First Name
Kristian
Last Name
Andersen
Coyote Flat will be completely impassable at that time. You should be fine in the lower elevations around Bishop, Lone Pine, Big Pine, etc., so check out Alabama Hills, Buttermilks (probably need snow tires), Ancient Bristle Cone, etc. Or hit the desert - there’ll be lots to explore in Death Valley

JBear223

Rank II

Enthusiast III

California
First Name
John
Last Name
Behrens
The Monache area and Kennedy meadows should be inaccessible through June. Just too much snow, then too much mud. Then too many downed trees....