Inverter under the seat

• HTML tutorial

Ganja_Overland

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Monroe, Wa
Member #

I wanted to hardwire my 1000 watt cobra power inverter under my seat, but I was concerned about water entering the cab during a water crossing. Of course I'm not going to be USING the inverter at a time when water has a possibility of entering the cab. I'm not that dumb....BUT I am not too familiar with conductivity either. Lol. If the inverter is off, is there any catastrophic risk with submerging the inverter other than the internals failing?

Sent from my SM-N910V using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Flipper

Zargon

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

The main risk is the inverter being killed. I would make sure you have a fuse (or the inverter is fused) but that's just good practice anyways. If you want to give it a fighting chance in water you can open the inverter up and spray silicone conformal coating onto all of the exposed electronics

Sent from my Nexus 6P using OB Talk mobile app

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

Inverters need air flow. Especially @1k watts. A hot inverter will soon be a dead inverter.

Find another location.

I've personally considered mounting one on the ceiling. My Frontier has braces in the roof I can bolt to without going through the roof.

The downside to that is that heat rises, and the heat the inverter puts out (and usually pulls cooler air past the fins as it does so) will pool so it won't "pull" as well.

A wall of your rig is a good choice, inner fender wells, or a door panel.

Last edited: