Walnut Creek, CA, USA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Powell
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Red Eye
How does one obtain a HAM license? Ive searched the internet and many different options pop up. Wasn’t sure which is the best route to take (no pun)?
Find a Ham Radeo Club in your area- they teach clases needed for the license , and set you up to get the license

Frank Powell

Rank V
Investor

Enthusiast II

Walnut Creek, CA, USA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Powell
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Red Eye
Hey I was wondering, what suspension should i use for the occasional offroad trip, cuz my suspension is shot with a 2 inch lift kit. Just need some ideas. It's for a 2000 Pathfinder
Bilstein Shocks offer a good well rounded shock for both the road & trail- with lift options

Reactions: Lone Wolf 1965

Frank Powell

Rank V
Investor

Enthusiast II

Walnut Creek, CA, USA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Powell
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Red Eye
Tire selection is a difficult question to answer. It really all depends on what you are driving and the types of conditions you plan on encountering. If you plan on more pavement time and some light off-road use then an all terrain or even all weather passenger tire would be suitable. If you are driving a very heavy rig, you may want to consider a thicker sidewall for stability. You may also want a higher ply if you intend on running aired down and on rough, rocky terrain.

There is a ton to consider so unfortunately it's not a real straight answer. Cooper, in general, makes good tires. The ones you are asking about have a pretty aggressive tread so they may be a little louder on highways. I don't have any personal experience running them though.

I'm sorry I can't give you a better answer though, but hopefully have given you something more to consider when shopping around.
I have run the Coopers you are looking at, yes at half tread they are noisy, and I personly like a stiffer sidewall. Soft sidewalls are good for loose dirt & sand, and light gravel roads.

Reactions: Lone Wolf 1965

Contributor III

Fleming, CO, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Schanhals
Service Branch
Navy
Just jumping in with questions.. We recently upgraded our Tacoma TRD Offroad, with a Alucab Canopy Camper, now looking to do bumpers and lights on our own, but also am looking at where to put traction boards and fuel .. the spare is on the back, we have a Dickenson heater and propane on either side of the spare.. the main question is are the gas struts on the side panels strong enough to put the recovery gear and or fuel on the doors?

Frank Powell

Rank V
Investor

Enthusiast II

Walnut Creek, CA, USA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Powell
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Red Eye
Just jumping in with questions.. We recently upgraded our Tacoma TRD Offroad, with a Alucab Canopy Camper, now looking to do bumpers and lights on our own, but also am looking at where to put traction boards and fuel .. the spare is on the back, we have a Dickenson heater and propane on either side of the spare.. the main question is are the gas struts on the side panels strong enough to put the recovery gear and or fuel on the doors?
I do not think the doors are a good location for the fuel - may be for the traction boards. You would have to temp put them on and try out the strong arms.
You could get a spare tire fuel tank and put it under where the tire used to be

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
They are quite expensive but Long Range America may be able to guide you in the right direction as far as purchasing an auxillary tank. We bought one for our 80 series last summer. If I were starting all over again it would have been one of our first modifications instead of the last.

Reactions: DaleRF

DaleRF

Rank VII
Investor

Pioneer II

Sierra Vista Southeast, AZ, USA
First Name
DALE
Last Name
FOLLETTE
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JDA
Service Branch
US Army CWO (Ret)
They are quite expensive but Long Range America may be able to guide you in the right direction as far as purchasing an auxillary tank. We bought one for our 80 series last summer. If I were starting all over again it would have been one of our first modifications instead of the last.
Also, there is
where I found a 60-Gal tank to replace my factory 35-Gal on my Ram 3500. I first confirmed that Titan made the larger tank via their website, but found it less expensive through Amazon.com, if you can believe it!
Good luck!

baconaz

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Bacon
Hello All,
I'm new and just getting into the overlanding lifestyle. Love camping and being outdoors. I'm in the Phoenix, AZ area. I have a ford Raptor. Not the best overlanding vehical but its an amazing truck! Looking forward to learinging from the group and gret local places to go!!

DaleRF

Rank VII
Investor

Pioneer II

Sierra Vista Southeast, AZ, USA
First Name
DALE
Last Name
FOLLETTE
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JDA
Service Branch
US Army CWO (Ret)
Hello All,
I'm new and just getting into the overlanding lifestyle. Love camping and being outdoors. I'm in the Phoenix, AZ area. I have a ford Raptor. Not the best overlanding vehical but its an amazing truck! Looking forward to learinging from the group and gret local places to go!!
Welcome from Sierra Vista!

Reactions: baconaz

JakeHalloran

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger II

Chehalis, WA
First Name
Jake
Last Name
Halloran
Member #

Hello All,
Welcome, from the PNW! The best vehicle to start with is the one you already have!