Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

APRS... Anal Probe Restraint System... :flushed: no... NO.... that's not right.

Automatic Packet Reporting System. (If this is a duplicate of something already posted please advise and I will remove.)

You're probably saying what is a Packet and what does this have to do with Overlanding? Hang with me for a minute..

A Packet is data and in the case of APRS it is speed, direction, altitude, location, and a message which typically states what frequency you are monitoring. This packet is transmitted via a 2 meter ham radio on 144.39 MHz (North America), so you have to be a licensed amateur radio operator to use APRS.

Your data packet is transmitted from your 2m radio and can be received and decoded directly by another APRS user or it can be picked up by a digital repeater (digipeater or digi) and rebroadcast. If another digi is within range of the first one it will also rebroadcast your packet. Two hops is the generally accepted standard setting. If you have a full featured APRS set up (as opposed to just a simple/dumb tracker) you can view the other stations packet info and see them on a map.

A digipeater may also be an Internet Gateway (Igate) or the Igate may be stand alone, which then copies your packet info to the net for sites such as APRS.fi and APRSdirect.com. These sites map you and your packets. This allows for your friends and family to see where you are on your adventures.

APRS can be used for more than just tracking. You can send messages to other APRS users (as long as they have a full featured APRS set up), you can send text messages, and short emails (both text and emails require that you be within range of an IGate). See this thread for more info on APRS SMS Text and Emails: OB Approved - SMS Text and Email via APRS
The APRS system also allows you to see who is around you, their distance from you, and their direction from you.... as the system was designed for situational awareness.

In addition to tracking and sending messages to check in while on your adventures, this type of system would be good for a trail run event where you could see what trail each group was on and where on the trail they were. It would also be good if you were in search and rescue. Others could see where you had been and if every S&R group had an APRS beacon you could see where everyone had been and make sure the area had been covered accordingly.

The International Space Station has an APRS digipeater on board as well and there are a couple of satellites flying around that are also APRS capable digipeaters. For more info check out this thread: APRS via Satellite

Hardware... what do you need for an APRS set up?

You could take the easy way out and just download an APRS app for your phone (remember you have to be a licensed ham to use this) however this requires that you have a cell signal. If you want to go the RF route here is what you will need.

First off you will need a radio, a radio that operates on the 2m band specifically. There are some dual band radios that allow you to run APRS on one side and voice on the other, but most do not. Most dual band radios are dual receive but single transmit which means you can transmit APRS or voice but not both at the same time though you can listen to both simultaneously. A dedicated single band (2m) radio would work great, either mobile or HT. The mobile would have more watts (and likely a better receiver) which would come in handy for areas with sparse digipeater coverage. The radios that do APRS and voice at the same time also typically have the APRS hardware built in, these radios include the Kenwood TM-D710G (mobile), Yaesu FTM-400XDR (mobile), Kenwood TH-D72A/TH-D74A (HT) and Yaesu FT2DR (HT). The mobiles are quite popular.

You will may also need a TNC or Terminal Node Controller. This device takes the digital info from the GPS and converts it into audio tones to be transmitted by the radio and vise versa. Common TNCs are the Byonics Tiny Trak, Argent Data Open Tracker, TNC-PI (Raspberry PI) and Mobilinkd. The TNC takes the digital information and converts it to audio tones to be sent out over RF. If using a smart phone with an APRS app you can connect the phone direction to the radio and the app will do the audio processing, this using the VOX (Voice activated transmit) to transmit the signal where the TNC will actually key the radio like pushing the PTT on a mic. Some of the TNCs require a GPS puck to obtain the data while others such as the Mobilinkd use the phone for the GPS data.

You may also need a display, some TNCs allow displays some don't. I prefer to have a display to see where others are and send messages, the ones that don't have a display are sometimes referred to as a dumb tracker as you can't really do anything else with it except track your vehicle.
The TNC you get may dictate the display you have to have. Some use old nav units such as the Nuvi350 while others can use small computer displays and others can use tablets/smart phones. I run the Mobilinkd and I like it because it bluetooths to the screen so it is housed in the back of the vehicle by the radio and there is no extra cord to run through the cabin of the vehicle.

There are also standalone units with the radio (10w or less), antenna and TNC in one compact unit such as the Byonics Microtrak series.

APRS is by no means the end all solution to tracking and messaging while off grid, but it's another tool to have at your disposal. APRS largely depends on hams to set up the digipeaters/igates and unfortunately there are still areas with no coverage. APRS still works simplex (radio to radio) regardless of any local APRS infastructure so if running around an area with a group you could possibly still use APRS within the group depending on terrain.

Here is an example of APRS from South Texas to Alaska.
APRS TX to AK.JPG

This isn't an all inclusive write up but just something to give you an idea of what you might need to begin your own research to get set up using APRS. I and others would be glad to help if you have any questions.

Last edited:

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

My APRS set up consists of a Yaesu FTM-3100r 2m mono band radio.
I have it connected to a Mobilinkd bluetooth TNC2 with a tablet mounted on the dash and a 5/8 wave antenna on the roof.
Though it in this setup it is an extra radio it is pretty simple and clean.
All of my radios are stowed in the back of the Jeep since both of my voice radios use remote heads so the bluetooth between the TNC and tablet came in real handy.

Here is the "command center" in my previous XJ, I don't have a picture of my current setup as it is not yet complete.
IMG_20160919_192944.jpg

This is how the display looks for received stations.
APRS Screenshot.jpg

Or I can change to map view.
APRS Screenshot (2).jpg

Todd & Meg

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Nice write up. I was just thinking of asking a few question on APRS this morning.

1. Can you send and receive text messages?

2. Do you have to be a ham nerd to make all this happen? Of can it be somewhat plug and play. I'm on IOS.

3. Can it be a replacement for Inreach?

I can see the usefulness of APRS. I was meeting another OB member to camp with. He was getting there well before me and found a site. I haven't been to the area before and he had APRS. When I left the highway and still had internet I was able to check APRS.FI and get his location. Put that into Gaia and was able to find him in the dark no problem.

I don't have ham now and am hoping to be ready to take the test in a few weeks.

Todd

Reactions: tundra21 and TerryD

Prerunner1982

Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Nice write up. I was just thinking of asking a few question on APRS this morning.

1. Can you send and receive text messages?

2. Do you have to be a ham nerd to make all this happen? Of can it be somewhat plug and play. I'm on IOS.

3. Can it be a replacement for Inreach?

I can see the usefulness of APRS. I was meeting another OB member to camp with. He was getting there well before me and found a site. I haven't been to the area before and he had APRS. When I left the highway and still had internet I was able to check APRS.FI and get his location. Put that into Gaia and was able to find him in the dark no problem.

I don't have ham now and am hoping to be ready to take the test in a few weeks.

Todd
1. Absolutely (see this thread: OB Approved - SMS Text and Email via APRS). You can send messages to other APRS users or you can send SMS text messages to a cell phone and send email. The SMS and Email require that you be within reach of an I-gate as your packet has to make it to the internet for it to work. Direct APRS to APRS messages work without the internet. If someone set up a one directional Igate (take info from RF to internet only) then you will be able to send SMS text messages/email but not receive them. In lieu of being within range of an Igate there are a couple of APRS Satellites as well.... but that's a bit more nerdy. :tearsofjoy: #radionerd (APRS Satellite: APRS via Satellite)

2. No I don't think you have to be a ham nerd, though it helps. Though I have never played with one myself I think the Kenwood D710G and Yaesu FTM-400 make APRS pretty easy since it's already built into the radio.

3. No I wouldn't replace a satellite beacon/message device with APRS. APRS depends on digipeaters and Igates which are put up by individuals so there are areas of the country that are pretty devoid of digipeater coverage. APRS can be useful and fun to experiment with but it is just another tool.

Glad you have already seen the usefulness of APRS and had the tools to use the info offline.

If you have any other questions (not just about APRS) let us know.

Last edited:

Prerunner1982

Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

If you have it come on with the vehicle or running all the time it can also be used as a "poor man's" Lojack. :wink:

Reactions: tundra21

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Great write up Thanks!

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
You have a typo in your thread title... :)

If you own a Kenwood D710 you can add a setting to show what frequency you are on. So if someone sees you on APRS they can then contact you on your primary channel. Under the APRS settings look for this screen. Enter [Freq MHz] and you are all set. I have contacted folks via this method.

KenwoodAPRS.png

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
You have a typo in your thread title... :)

If you own a Kenwood D710 you can add a setting to show what frequency you are on. So if someone sees you on APRS they can then contact you on your primary channel. Under the APRS settings look for this screen. Enter [Freq MHz] and you are all set. I have contacted folks via this method.

View attachment 109878
The TM-D710Ga will actually embed that info along with tone, offset, ect with a menu setting into "Status 5" and you don't have to input that [FREQ MHZ]. I'll have to look at mine this evening and see if I can find the setting.

I used APRS during my recent trip to Colorado and was surprised by the coverage in the Colorado Springs/Divide/Cripple Creek areas. I used it a few nights to send messages to my wife to let her know we were safely in camp when I didn't have cell service as well. @theorangekl and I played with it on a trip earlier this year as well and had success using it to pass messages off-road and kind of keep track of the group on the trail. He was 2nd in line and I was near the end, so we could both see approximate group length when we received packets from each other.

It's also handy on the road. Clubs will embed the local repeater frequency, offset and tones into beacon messages and you can QSY to it on your other channel with a dual bander like the TM-D710G or FTM-400 with no more effort than the push of a button. Makes it nice to have on road trips to new locations. Then it's two key strokes on the 710 to store that info in memory to quickly recall.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
The TM-D710Ga will actually embed that info along with tone, offset, ect with a menu setting into "Status 5" and you don't have to input that [FREQ MHZ]. I'll have to look at mine this evening and see if I can find the setting.
I have a older version of the radio. My method also allows you to add a personal message after the [FREQ MHZ] code.

Todd & Meg

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Thanks for the info. We have been looking at Inreach, but I am not a fan of monthly pay plans. I will be adding ham at some point (I have a local test in a few weeks I hope I can make) was hoping APRS would work as well as Inreach. Only so much money for this type of stuff.

My wife likes the SOS feature of Inreach but mostly wants it to txt the kids and receive txt from them.

Todd

Prerunner1982

Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

My wife likes the SOS feature of Inreach but mostly wants it to txt the kids and receive txt from them.

Todd
Technically if a SMS Text or email is sent via APRS the person replying should also be a ham as their text/email will be sent over RF.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Thanks for the info. We have been looking at Inreach, but I am not a fan of monthly pay plans. I will be adding ham at some point (I have a local test in a few weeks I hope I can make) was hoping APRS would work as well as Inreach. Only so much money for this type of stuff.

Todd
APRS works well. It is public data though. Not meant for SOS. It doesn't work in Mexico. It won't work if you can't ping a repeater. They are different tools. If I could only have one it would be an InReach. If you are going to text a lot with an inReach get the unlimited plan!

Prerunner1982

Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Last year took a short trip to SE/S Oklahoma over 6 days (about 450 miles) and had my APRS radio going the whole time. As you can see the digipeater coverage in SE Oklahoma is scarce. The only packets I got through were to digipeaters between 120 and 160 miles away, one in NE Oklahoma and the other in Arkansas. The other icons on the map are the digipeaters/igates that received my signal and sent it to the web.
1578499628927.png

Prerunner1982

Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Sometimes the propagation Gods are in your favor and you pick up stations hundreds of miles away.
This picture is the map of stations I picked up this morning, stretching from the Llano Estacado region of central west Texas/eastern NM up through most of Kansas into far NW Missouri.
My furthest terrestrial station was across the border into Mexico or u to Iowa and Illinois. I do wish there was a way to see how far my packets go.

Attachments