Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Thanks for the link. Yes, interesting article. What is often forgotten when upgrading a suspension is that this is a complex system where many components need to be matched. It is not only about (longer) springs or fancy shock absorbers, but much more. All components must work perfectly together so that it really performs well. This also includes - if possible - adjusting/shimming the shock absorbers to the respective requirement.

Bjoern

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Many including myself just "know" we need a lift and tires and then "stuff", this hit the point that might be better without a lift and lockers or other upgrades.... Which makes sense.....

Same as building your rig for what you intend on doing with it, I see many a sky high truck which is good for mud or deep water but would be in trouble with some forest trails and minor rock crawling.

Food for thought......

Jim

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
I see many a sky high truck which is good for
Thought you were going to say "going to Starbucks". ;)

Seriously though, great article and it should be pinned at the top of the vehicle build sub-forums. As stated, quite often touching one part of of the suspension/driveline is going to lead to other required modifications which leads to other required modifications and so on. I see a lot of folks slapping giant tires on their vehicles only to find that performance/braking becomes sub-par - a little research would show bigger brakes and a re-gear may also be required (and tougher axle shafts, and...). I really like Ronny Dahl videos and his approach to modifications; he explains the pros and cons, etc.

An interesting piece of wisdom that I picked up on OB went something like - "if you can learn to overcome the obstacles without a lift, without big tires, you will become a better driver and able to conquer more obstacles". When the "pioneers of overlanding" started doing the Rubicon trail they did not have 33 or 35 or 37 or 40 inch tires and lifts yet they made it. Food for thought...

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
I see many a sky high truck which is good for
Thought you were going to say "going to Starbucks". ;)

Seriously though, great article and it should be pinned at the top of the vehicle build sub-forums. As stated, quite often touching one part of of the suspension/driveline is going to lead to other required modifications which leads to other required modifications and so on. I see a lot of folks slapping giant tires on their vehicles only to find that performance/braking becomes sub-par - a little research would show bigger brakes and a re-gear may also be required (and tougher axle shafts, and...). I really like Ronny Dahl videos and his approach to modifications; he explains the pros and cons, etc.

An interesting piece of wisdom that I picked up on OB went something like - "if you can learn to overcome the obstacles without a lift, without big tires, you will become a better driver and able to conquer more obstacles". When the "pioneers of overlanding" started doing the Rubicon trail they did not have 33 or 35 or 37 or 40 inch tires and lifts yet they made it. Food for thought...
Also a good point to plan ahead. A lot of folks build suspension over time. That’s what I did. If you do that, it’s good to know where you are going so you always have a well handling rig. That’s NOT what I did.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Also a good point to plan ahead. A lot of folks build suspension over time. That’s what I did. If you do that, it’s good to know where you are going so you always have a well handling rig. That’s NOT what I did.
It has only taken me 20 some odd years to purchase my first lift / suspension mods which are still sitting here in boxes. Hahaha. But I researched the heck out of it and went with a Clayton setup that is well thought of in the Jeep community and one of the only kits that takes the added weight of what we do into consideration.

Reactions: Michael

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
A fellow over on Tacoma World said "These vehicles are very capable in stock form" and I'd have to agree. The research and development done by the manufactures is pretty intense and very expensive. I'd refer you to the guy in the big leather chair. After all, he has billions of dollars riding on the successful travel of his customers over those silly damn logs and rocks. LOL
Zim

Reactions: Ubiety

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
It has only taken me 20 some odd years to purchase my first lift / suspension mods which are still sitting here in boxes. Hahaha. But I researched the heck out of it and went with a Clayton setup that is well thought of in the Jeep community and one of the only kits that takes the added weight of what we do into consideration.
I feel ya :)

It’ll make a big difference!

Reactions: Ubiety

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Hey, good write up. The Aussies get it. One really can’t go wrong using Aussie suspensions. Way back 20 plus years ago while shopping for a touring suspension a Midwest dealer attempted to sell me a bunch of stuff I didn’t need. Finally after listening to him rant at me a bit I said; “so what your telling me is that OME makes an inferior kit that must be supported with the junk you are trying to sell me?” He was rendered speechless.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Excellent article. The most I'm planning is a leveling kit and calling it good.
right after i bought my tundra, we went to sedona and i went on a pretty simple jeep trail and kept bottoming out. i went home and put on a level kit and went up to the biggest tire that would fit (around a 34" equivalent) and that has been the perfect set up for me
besides, im getting close to 60...the way i drive, a giant lift is only going to look like i'm "compensating" :laughing:

Dave Snyder

Rank VI
Investor

Trail Blazer II

Greenfield Township, Lackawanna County, Pennsylvania, United States
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Snyder
Member #

Excellent article. The most I'm planning is a leveling kit and calling it good.
right after i bought my tundra, we went to sedona and i went on a pretty simple jeep trail and kept bottoming out. i went home and put on a level kit and went up to the biggest tire that would fit (around a 34" equivalent) and that has been the perfect set up for me
besides, im getting close to 60...the way i drive, a giant lift is only going to look like i'm "compensating" :laughing:
Right there with you. 63 myself. Also not planning on doing anything extreme either. 33's on the truck now with the 20 inch rims. At some point I'll be switching to 17 inch rims and most likely staying with 33's.

TRob

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Siesta Key, FL, USA
First Name
Troy
Last Name
Roberts
It all depends on what you do with your vehicle. Most of the writer's concerns are handled with a quality lift and well thought out suspension upgrades. In my case, I could not do some of the trails I do if I didn't have more articulation and ground clearance than you get from the factory. I think the problem comes in when people put on a big lift kit and tires without thinking through the entire build. We get a lot of that here in Florida!

When I built my Gladiator the suspension was done all at once. Quality off road lift kit (Metalcloak), axles built up, front drive shaft replacement, skids, gears, etc, etc.

If you mostly overland without hitting the harder trails, then yes, stay as close to stock as you can to get where you want to go. But understand that others use their vehicles differently. Nothing wrong with a well thought out build that can overland and still rock crawl.

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Ankeny, IA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

Drives me nuts with the newer land rovers. (IFS, air suspensions). People lift them by tricking the ride height sensors. They end up with almost no down travel and a very stiff ride. You see the new defenders lifting wheels constantly because they have even less flex than the LR3/LR4.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
I wouldn’t have realized you had done anything after seeing your rig.